AVIC411.com

New z130, bad iPod noise

Hi, I just installed my new Z130 with oem CD-IU51V cable, it all works but I have terrible noise when listening to an ipod classic or iphone 4, it is mainly during quiet sections of music or between songs, but it is very bad, some static and some digital type noises. If you simply pause the music you will get a steady stream of assorted noises. I even tried the iphone on airplane mode for a test and same thing. All connections check out fine. Does anyone else have issues like this? I replaced a D3 that had no problems so it would appear that the problem is Z130 related rather then something in the vehicle.

Hi, I just installed my new Z130 with oem CD-IU51V cable, it all works but I have terrible noise when listening to an ipod classic or iphone 4, it is mainly during quiet sections of music or between songs, but it is very bad, some static and some digital type noises. If you simply pause the music you will get a steady stream of assorted noises. I even tried the iphone on airplane mode for a test and same thing. All connections check out fine. Does anyone else have issues like this? I replaced a D3 that had no problems so it would appear that the problem is Z130 related rather then something in the vehicle.

Does the noise increase with the volume or does it remain fixed? Does it vary with the engine speed? How about with the engine off? Do you get any noise at all when playing music from SD or CD?

If it is only from the iPod source, make sure the CD-IU51V cable isn't routed near any wires that could induce noise. Also check the USB dongle that goes to the back of the HU (assuming the Z130 is like the Z110/120). The audio is only in the mini-plug cable, not the actual USB wiring. So it is not digital.

If you also get noise from SD/CD, it might be a ground issue. Try a direct ground from the HU to a good ground point on the car's chassis. If you also have a separate amp, also make sure it is a good ground - ideally ground the HU and amp to a common location. If that is not possible, just make sure they are good grounds.

O.K. a follow up with more info. This noise happens even with the engine off. The sound gets worse the higher the volume is set. It has several different sounds. There is a tone that gets faster and then slower all on its own, a data type sound and static. No problems on other sources. At lower volume you may get a little, but at higher volumes it is quite bad.

If it is only from the iPod source, make sure the CD-IU51V cable isn't routed near any wires that could induce noise. Also check the USB dongle that goes to the back of the HU (assuming the Z130 is like the Z110/120). The audio is only in the mini-plug cable, not the actual USB wiring. So it is not digital.

Yeah, make sure the ipod cable isn't wrapped around power wires or something. Also, try bypassing the dock connector by going from the headphone jack on the ipod/iphone directly into the 3.5mm jack on the cable. It's possible the dock connector is messed up or there's a fault in the cable somewhere.

O.K. I have had some time to spend with this unit and I have found that the noise is generated by the usb cable. I found that adjusting av1 input to video rather than iPod, I could get the iPod to play through the pioneer cable without having the usb plug connected and the noise completely goes away. I still don't have a solution but at least I have some idea what is going on. Pioneer suggested that I swap the cable and then the radio if the cable does not fix it, so I'm gonna see if I can get that done today. I just hope that this a defect and not a design flaw as I really like the radio and want to keep it, but this is a deal breaker for me. I will post back after I get stuff swapped out.

OEM = original equipment manufacturer. This is straight from a Pioneer dealer in original packaging.

Well I know what OEM means. I was just trying to determine if you were using the official Pioneer cable or a cheap knock off thought to be OEM.

Well all is good in the universe again. I swapped out the ipod cable with no improvement. I swapped out the radio and upper ipod cable both at the same time and what an improvement. It is like a completely different animal! Sound quality, volume and noise level of the ipod is totally differant, now I like my new toy.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you elaborate on this "check the settings on ipod or phone tv out should be on if it is not you will get those noises." I tried to install my unit and had noise unlike alternator noise. After sending it back they told me my unit was fine but I did not get any video out using ipod or DVD.