AVIC411.com

Bluetooth Fix- I have no more echos and voice volume is hi!

For those of you who still have the phone echo probem, I eliminated all of my echo problems last night.

It's all about positioning the mic! At leaet it was for me.

I called my mom and talked to her for about 1/2 hour last night for the purpose of finding the best position for the mic and the best phone voice volume level. And of course for the purpose of just talking to mom.

Anyway, I discovered that the optimum placement for the microphone was up high on the trim panel above my driver side door, near my head and aiming the mic straight up in the air towards the headliner. I then routed the mic cord through the trim, down the side of the dash, then under the dash, under the carpet and back up to my Z1. All wiring is completely hidden.

My party now hears me perfectly clear and gets no echo on their end whatsoever. And my phone voice volume is set to a very acceptible 3/4 of the way up: so I can also hear my party just fine.

Hey, that's what mom's are for right? THANKS MOM :D

FYI, I did the CD update prior to positioning the mic but I really don't think the update helped, because the echo was still very strong after the update and before positioning the mic.

I hope this helps some of you.

This is a simple audio term called "feedback". the "echo" you are hearing is your voice being projected into the microphone then back out again through the speakers, hence you hearing your voice two seperate times in a real close amount of time (milliseconds) which sounds like an echo....

Mic placement is obviously key to the install of this unit..

Actually Rodge,

It was never me hearing the echo. It was also the party I was talking to that would hear themselves echo. I agree in that it is feedback. The party

I talk to hears himself due to the fact that the microphone picks up his voice from the car stereo speakers and play back throgh te mic which tells me that there must be somewhat of a delay in transmission.

Also, I want to add that today, I was talking to one of my clients who stated that he could not hear me very well. So I slightly angled the mic downward and away from the headliner. He then heard me loud and clear and without him hearing himself echo.

Also, I have both speakers at the same volume level. I have not had to balance to one side or the other.

Cheers,

Kevin

I agree with all that position of mic is key to eliminating/reducing echo. I have mine installed by a professional who has installed more than 60 Z1s.

Here is a picture of the Z1 installed on my Infiniti Q45,

http://picasaweb.google.com/pnanda/06De ... 3124927538

I have my Z1 phone audio volume at more than 3/4th. My phone when registered with the Z1 had its volume set at half. No echo complaints after heavy usage for a month...

I installed a Z1 with a Dec '06 build date and I positioned the mic on the driver's side A pillar. I set the volume past the 4 bar mark and no echo at all. I did not try anything higher because it was too loud already. Not sure what the owner will finally decide but high and near the driver seems to be the right choice.

Nice pic pnanda,

I tried that location, near the rearview mirror but it still produced some echoing. I'm glad that it worked for you. Again, the drivers side trim pillar, above my head was the optimum location for inside my Ford Explorer.

I'm sure that cabin size, speaker locations, and basic vehicle acoustics all contribute differently amongst various types of vehicles, so what may work in some vehicles, may not work as well in others.

Your best bet is to call someone who has time to talk and move the mic around and adjust the volume accordingly until your caller hears you best and with no echo.

Godspeed All!

I tried that location, near the rearview mirror but it still produced some echoing. I'm glad that it worked for you. Again, the drivers side trim pillar, above my head was the optimum location for inside my Ford Explorer.

Top of the driver side A pillar is where I put it in my Lincoln Aviator (basically an Explorer) and it seems pretty optimal for me as well.

I'm getting very good results with it positioned at the top left corner of the piller, next to the windshild. It is enough out of the way that it dosen't pick up any wind noise when the drivers side window is cracked. It is pointed toward the drivers seat.

I have not updated it yet. They tell me it sound fine, no echo, just like you were talking to anyone on a speaker phone.

post-2473-12872751707635_thumb.jpg

i am getting my Z1 and bluetooth soon. and i was wondering if someone could post some more pictures because i don't really know where you guys are talking about. i am having it professionally installed and i want to let them know where exactly i want it so there is no echo effect. i drive a ford explorer. thanks for the help. if anyone could add some more photos so i can get a more accurate fit for the mic. thanks