AVIC411.com

I just had a AVIC-X930BT installed in my 2006 Chevy Equniox. I have tried plugging in my HTC Evo Smartphone and a generic USB "thumb" drive (FAT32 format). The AVIC won't recognize anything I plug in. I get a "Cannot use this USB Memory device" message no matter what I plug into the unit. I can't find any info on this. The manual says the device needs to conform to the Mass Storage Unit spec which both things I've tried so far do.

Any ideas?

I had a problem with my Ipod connection on the usb cable I had to wiggle the plug at the radio. at first my Ipod wasn't even recognized by the radio, after playing around with the plug in the back of the radio it started to work, then as I was putting everything back together it would loose stereo and play on one channel. so I had to take it back out and wiggle the plug and I laid the cable across the top of the radio with some tape to take the stress off the plug. its been fine for 2 weeks now.

I had a problem with my Ipod connection on the usb cable I had to wiggle the plug at the radio. at first my Ipod wasn't even recognized by the radio, after playing around with the plug in the back of the radio it started to work, then as I was putting everything back together it would loose stereo and play on one channel. so I had to take it back out and wiggle the plug and I laid the cable across the top of the radio with some tape to take the stress off the plug. its been fine for 2 weeks now.

Worth a try. I'll let you know if that helps for fixes the problem.

Worth a try, I'll keep you posted.

When I plug in my evo I get the error on screen something like cant recognize the device. The only work around I have found so far to get it to work is I switch to usb tether and then go back and select disk drive. Dont ask how or why it works, but after that I have the usb button on the left plane and can play my music.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem with my newly installed 930BT.

I actually have begun to wonder if it only really supports iPod/iPhone support. I have all my music on a USB thumb drive and have no intention of switching. (For now I had to put my music on a micro-SD) Also during installation we were able to get our hands on another 930BT and it does the same thing. Even tried the other cable from the other unit.

Plug in a thumb drive, zero recognition of any kind. Plug in an iPod (happened to have one to try) and it picks it up.

Any ideas appreciated. Great unit otherwise.

More news on my USB issue for anyone that can possibly provide insight, help, kind words, anything really. This may also be the problem the original poster of this thread is experiencing.

Tried 6 different USB drives.

Only 2 of them work! They are the 2 oldest, and smallest. (of course) The only common thing between these 2 drives nearest I can tell is they have the ability to be formatted FAT (FAT16) within Windows. The other drives all only allow exFAT, FAT32, or NTFS. These 2 old drives offer all those, but also FAT. The 4GB drive is FAT32 formatted right now and reads music, and the 1GB drive is formatted FAT16 and also reads music. My normal 16gig drive does nothing whatsoever when plugged in.

So, right now, I have moved whatever I can fit (obviously not all) of my music onto the old 4GB drive.

Something is up with this stereo and compatibility with USB, 2 out of 6 is really bad, and its only the older drives that work.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I was wondering if it had to do with the format of the drive I just hadn't had a chance to experiment with it. I don't see how any device that claims USB compatibility cannot at least support FAT32 since that has been around forever. The drive I tried was a 4GB FAT32 drive. I'm going to see if I can format it back to a FAT16 and get it to work. This really stinks and I am beginning to have my doubts about the quality of this unit. The GPS is absolute garbage. I have used it around town for places that I know where I'm going and this thing only gets to my destination about half the time, I would not recommend this unit to anyone at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Need some help here as well. Just had a x930bt installed and it was all working like a champ.....then.....

the control mode (touch screen) ipod controls worked perfectly. Now it is gone. I can still play the sound through the av1, but no on-screen controls, that were previously there.

the control mode icons are not there either, to switch back and forth from passenger control, etc....

So, i got music, but no onscreen controls.

I have tried everything that i can possibly think of. I dont see a cable problem as it was not touched. It was just gone from the unit when i turned it on.

any help or thoughts?