AVIC411.com

Finished Install in 2007 Acura TL

We just got finished putting a Z1 in a new Acura TL. This was a really fun one since I had to custom fab the brackets and trim rings for the radio. Considering what we had, I think it turned out pretty decent.

The install consists of a Dec 06 Avic-Z1, ND-BT1, GEX-P10XMT, CD-R5, CD-SR1, CD-iB100ii, 2 Kicker 10" Comp VR subs, JL Audio 6.5 separates in the doors and JL Audio coax 6.5 in the deck, Pioneer GM-5200T bass amp bridged at 380 watts RMS, Pioneer GM-6200F mid-high amp at 60 watts RMS x 4, Pac SWI-X steering wheel control, Scosche.5 Farad cap, Scosche power wire/distro blocks, and Monster Cable interconnects. The tweeters for the separates are in the stock locations on the dash, and the XM and GPS antennas are mounted on a custom panel screwed to the bottom of the stock center channel grill. XM and GPS signals are great.

As you can see, the components aren't super high end, but it still sounds great.

post-497-12872751545428_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751570106_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751573767_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751574715_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751575868_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751577269_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751578216_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751579138_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751580138_thumb.jpg

post-497-12872751581463_thumb.jpg

The bottom display under the HVAC display was for the radio. It's just blank now, but it doesn't hurt anything. The HVAC controls were all on the panel above the radio. That's about the only break we got with this car. It was about the most difficult install I've ever done. All the other car functions still work with the exception of the factory bluetooth since it used the factory amp, but the Z1 bluetooth replaces that function, so it doesn't make any difference anyway.

Hmmm, biting my tongue a bit on this one.

I really wonder what the owner was thinking, going with the Z1 vs. the TL factory Navi. I can't see what the advantage would be. Seems pretty counterproductive.

Also on the door speakers, c'mon at least fab an MDF plate or something for the new speakers.

Hmmm, biting my tongue a bit on this one.

I really wonder what the owner was thinking, going with the Z1 vs. the TL factory Navi. I can't see what the advantage would be. Seems pretty counterproductive.

Also on the door speakers, c'mon at least fab an MDF plate or something for the new speakers.

Well, if you have to ask that, why are you here in the first place? This is a Z1 enthusiasts' forum.

But since you ask, hmm, let's see...

Ability to watch video while moving without doing some hack using an external DVD player and harness, hard drive music library, Ipod without having to use an external controller mounted in a storage bin and yet another expensive FM modulated harness, to save about 2 grand off a navi equipped TL, and finally because I LIKE the Avic-Z1.

As for the speakers, WTF good does MDF do? The speakers are a perfect fit for the factory brackets and are sealed to the door panel.

I got some similar negative comments at acurazine. I have to think these are coming from pro installers that resent people who do this stuff themselves. Excuse me for not having 20 grand for an install job or a full wood shop and a CNC mill.

Slow down there slick. I give you props for what you have done with what you had. This is your car, do what you want with it. BUT I would have to say that I,along with others who have given you a bit of a critique see an external dvd with nav-tv/fm mod as less than a "hack" then putting your AVIC-Z1 in.

I apologize if I pushed buttons that were already pushed. On a side note, did you already have all the equipment?

Chris.

Actually, I kind of can see where Cindcaddy is coming from...

Being a new acura TSX owner myself, I wish I did get the OEM navi.

Acura was ranked #2 among cars to have the best OEM NAVI's.

But for me and luckily Streeteffectz, I am able to put a Z1 in the Upper OEM location, not too low.

Ron's almost done with my unit so I will definitely post pics afterwards.