AVIC411.com

Question: iPod connection - which do you use / why? + more

I'm debating the merits of using the CD-IB100II or the basic A/V cable.

1) Which do you prefer and why?

2) If I hook up via the A/V cable, do I see the menu interface of the iPod on the screen?

3) Can you hook up both the A/V cable AND the CD-IB100II to get video + on-screen controls?

NOTE: I have yet to purchase an iPod Video or CD-IB100II. I am planning to the buy the iPod within the next week.

I'm debating the merits of using the CD-IB100II or the basic A/V cable.

Well I just have the IB100 (the first one, so I have the smaller connector). And I don't have a video ipod (mine is much older, the oldest one with a dock connector). This is what I gather from what has been posted here already.

1) Which do you prefer and why?

I would use the IB100, it gives you controls on the screen and lets me have one point of control for the Z1, ipod, sat, volume, etc. Otherwise I would need to be messing with the Ipod screen while driving. While the ipod itself is faster of a response then the IB100, I find it hard to select something while not paying way too much attention to the ipod itself, and I take too much attention off the road. I tried this in a previous car which didn't have a Z1 and only used sound out from the ipod to the radio and I found it very distracting and dangerous to use an ipod in a moving vehicle.

2) If I hook up via the A/V cable, do I see the menu interface of the iPod on the screen?

No, I believe that you would just see video if you selected a movie to play. You would not see the ipod interface on the RCA outs.

3) Can you hook up both the A/V cable AND the CD-IB100II to get video + on-screen controls?

Probably, but when you hook up the pioneer adapter it takes over the ipod and won't let you control it anymore from the ipod. Just the Z1 screen. I have heard of a way to get both to work at the same time, but it was kludgie and I don't remember how.

NOTE: I have yet to purchase an iPod Video or CD-IB100II. I am planning to the buy the iPod within the next week.

I like it. If you have 4000 different songs from 3000 different artists and out of nowhere you decide to play song number 2045. Yes, the IB100 will suck. It would take hours to browse to that. What I do even with 4138 songs from 736 artists, I set up about a dozen play lists with some favorites and Audiobooks is close to the top of the genre list so it's easy to get to most of the stuff I would listen to on a regular basis. If you find something you want to listen to that's not in a playlist, next time you go home, take it out of the vehicle and add it to a playlist. It's not that big of a deal.

The IB100II will let you control the iPod from the screen of your AVIC. The A/V plug will give you video out only, such as photos, movies and videos. Why not hook up both and have the best of both worlds? As for mounting, the IB100 is only a bit bigger than a pack of smokes, so you can probably find a place in the dash or under the center console to stash it. The connecting cable is pretty long.

Where did you all install your iPod-control units? I can't decide on a location, but I'm leaning towards under the passenger seat.
As for mounting, the IB100 is only a bit bigger than a pack of smokes, so you can probably find a place in the dash or under the center console to stash it. The connecting cable is pretty long.

Yep, I agree.... I installed mine behind the dash just under the Z1. I did this on the 2 Z1 installs, my Aviator and a friends F250, both had room behind the dash under the Z1. It's only 3 inch x 3 inch x 1 inch.

The IB100II will let you control the iPod from the screen of your AVIC. The A/V plug will give you video out only, such as photos, movies and videos. Why not hook up both and have the best of both worlds?

The problem is when the IB100II is connected the screen and controls of the ipod are locked out. Then the Z1 screen reads the music available and lets you select the music to play. The only way to play video would be to use the controls which are locked out till you unhooked the IB100. True you can have 2 wires come out of the dash, one be the IB100 and the other be the Z1's AV inputs and choose which to hook up at what time. But when you hook up the IB100 the screen would most likely go blank, or at the very least not let you change anything with the ipod controls.

Correct. When you want to watch video you have stored on the iPod, you will have to control the iPod from it's own controls, but when you want to be able to access control from the AVIC, you will have to switch to the other cable(IB100). The A/V cable I'm talking about is this one http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/pr ... strSearch= not the one that connects to the 1/8" phone jack on the top of the iPod.

you can actually do it another way. just disconnect the blue wire, inside the ipod adapter, put a switch on it even. this will give you control on the ipod itself and you can then run the headphone wire (special cable for a/v) back to the avic unit and plug it into the a/v jacks. works well, only thing is you have to flip the switch for the operation and then turn the vehicle on if vehicle is already on you have to turn it off for a few seconds and back on.

with this way you dont have to buy anything more then the ipod and pioneer adapter for the ipod, oh and a switch

probably not if you watched 2 min. videos and wanted to surf the music/movies and back and forth with the control on the z1. Or better yet, you could just leave the control on the ipod and use that to select music or video play. really shouldnt be a problem if your trying to get control on the ipod, there you have it.

i have both the ipod CD-IB100II and the AV cable...99% of the time I use the CD-IB100II b/c i want to have the artist/song name on the screen, but every so often I will use the A/V cable as well for some IPOD videos

i would recommend to go with both, for best of both worlds

I'm sure there is some way to get the IB100 to reset without having to turn off the car, unless it is the AVIC that needs to see the blue wire being disconnected and connected to reset. In that case, a switch interrupting the accessory lead to the AVIC should solve that problem. You could probably use a relay that is triggered by this switch to interrupt the afore mentioned blue wire, so you would only have to use one switch. Tillithz's solution may work fine for you.