AVIC411.com

Poor FM Reception with Z1?

I've had my z1 installed for a week now, and one thing I've noticed is that It gets horrible reception. At first I thought it was because something wasn't hooked up so after looking at it I realized it wasn't hooked up to my stock antenna. This improved the reception, however it is nothing near what I had with my stock headunit.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anyway to correct it?

You know,

I have read about this problem before in previous posts and as I recall, one person used an antenna amplifier and it resolved his problem quite well.

I gotta tell you, the FM reception on my Z1 is FANTASTIC. I mean, I can hardly change one digit of the tuning without getting a station in. I don't even have enough memory slots to save all of the channels that come in clearly. I was amazed at how much better my FM reception was with the Z1 over my stock radio.

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

well the kind of vehicle would be most helpful, only because if the actual ant. lead was omitted from the original install, it is possible that the factory ant. amplifier was not connected as well.. not to mention other factors such as tricky ant connections and installer insights that may have gone overlooked. but anyways, let us know with what vehicle or put in an amplifier, your options are to either do it right possibly, or spend money doing it another way. up to you.

sorry... its for an 05 altima se-r

Then it does sounds like antenna amplifier power-on wire was not connected. I had same exact problem in my 2003 Maxima until I checked its wiring diagram and connected that wire. (There is a power antenna wire in Z1's harness that could be used for that purpose)

That is correct, there is a wire for this. If I'm not mistaken, there is also a setting in the AVIC-Z1 to turn the power antenna feature on and off.

You, in fact, are mistaken. :wink: The feature allows you to have the AVIC send power to the antenna all the time, or only when the radio is on (i.e. turn off during CD/DVD playback, satellite radio, etc...) You can't actually turn it off.

My mistake, I guess that I never really learned what that feature was for because I saw no need to use it. I saw it when I was briskly browsing through my Z1 features the other night. Thank you for quicky correctng me. We don't want bad infrmation on here. Especially if its critical in nature.

The lead is in. Its a blue wire which was connected and it did improve reception, however I'm still not getting the same reception I used to with my BOSE unit.

Im positive because I live in a valley and all our other cars can pick up radio stations, but when I try to tune them in with the z1 they are fuzzy and fade in adn out. I used to be able to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...