AVIC411.com

Poor FM Reception with Z1?

I have a 95 Mitsubishi 3000GTVR4 with AVIC Z1. We removed the factory antena, and covered and painted over the whole. We have tried window mount type antena's and get lousy reception, and no AM reception. We also installed HID headlights in this car. When we turn the headlights on, we get static, and the already terrible reception gets worse. So my question is

A) what antena would you recommend, remember we no longer have the factory hole or antena.

B) what could me causing the interference with the HID's.

HID's do not affect any other source, I.E. ipod, cd, dvd when turned on.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Dre

The hid is affecting the reception because of the large amount of emi the ballasts give off. The hood the for the car still steel or is it fiberglass/carbon fiber? If it's steel, you can run a ground strap from the hood to the body. That should help with the interference from the hid. As far as a replacement antenna goes, can't really help there. I've never had much luck with them.

A ground strap is just a wire basically...usually use braided cable...I have used a peice of RG-8 Coax and stripped off the outer plastic sheath and pulled the center conductor/dialectric out of it then just used the braided sheild with some lugs soldered on the end of it....

• 2 weeks later...
sorry... its for an 05 altima se-r

Then it does sounds like antenna amplifier power-on wire was not connected. I had same exact problem in my 2003 Maxima until I checked its wiring diagram and connected that wire. (There is a power antenna wire in Z1's harness that could be used for that purpose)

I`m having the same kind of radio receiption problems on a 2006 lincoln nav can anyone please tell me what color wire I should connect the antenna amplifier power-on wire to.--The antenna cable is firmly connected in the Z1

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe i'm and idiot but 90% of the time dont you lose radio reception with an aftermartket radio, not sure why but ive heard far fetched roomers like its how factory radio's are designed with narrow bandwidth, because we all know factory radio's dont have the freq responds an aftermarket one does.......

Some factory radios actually do have an better fm section than aftermarket radios. Then you have the fact that quite a few use a seperate tuner for am and fm reception, where an aftermarket generally uses a single turner to do both. Don't even get me started on vehicles with diversity antennas...

Another problem you might be having is the local is on and set to a low number. Go into your settings and find the local for the stations. I do not know where it is for the Z series. I know for the D2 you push in the knob and i think its under audio. Just turn it off and that will dramatically help the reception. Because what local does is find the strength of the stations and if it is not one of the strongest channels it will overlook it and go for best. For use while on trips to decrease channel switches due to range.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...