AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 gracenote update

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gracenote is a database/catalog of information about music. Its for CDs that you load to the HD from store bought (real) CDs. The Z1 reads information off the CD and looks it up in the database to know the artist, album, song name, song length, etc.

The Z1 obviously doesn't know the album and song information for music released after it was made or in the future--so they use gracenote and have made the database upgradeable by download and burning onto to a CDR.

http://www.gracenote.com/music/

what exactly is the gracenote update?

Is it for the songs you upload to the hard drive thru CD-R or CD-RW?

Thanks everyone. Im new here, trying to get the facts straight.

Gracenote is a database/catalog of information about music. Its for CDs that you load to the HD from store bought (real) CDs.

Actually, it will work automatically if you load a 1:1 CD-R/RW copy of an original CD. Even if it's not a 1:1 copy, let's say for instance you download an entire MP3 album from a torrent, after you burn the MP3s into an Audio-CD, the database will still name your album. When your CD-R/RW is inserted into the Z1, the album will start to record to the HDD. When it's complete, you can go into the library, select the album, and search the database for it. If the album was from the pre-October period, the database should find it and name the entire album. This method is not automatic but still will not require manually naming all the songs on the album.

Actually, it will work automatically if you load a 1:1 CD-R/RW copy of an original CD. Even if it's not a 1:1 copy, let's say for instance you download an entire MP3 album from a torrent, after you burn the MP3s into an Audio-CD, the database will still name your album.

Does that really work? I mean according to the way it identifies the CD, it seems that your compilation would have to be pretty exact, including the length of each track. If each mp3 had a couple of extra, or missing seconds, would it be enough to mess up the identification?

...software which identifies and looks up CDs based on TOC or "Table of Contents" information stored at the beginning of each disc. The TOC lists the offsets (locations on disk) corresponding to the start of each track on a CD.
It looks to me like Pioneer CDDB is not complete or some sort different then original database. Because I have some CD’s, not new, that I can easily find in online version of Gracenote, but not exists in Pioneer.

Maybe they have a cutoff year? I was wondering the same thing. I had some Pearl Jam that wasn't recognised.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got my Z1 installed today! Totally rocks.. Love the unit..

I got a question that could be stupid.. But I just can't find where to change this..

I got a couple of CD's that I want to rip to the Z1 and obviously the GraceNote doesn't identify it. So I want to manually type in the name of the songs.

The question here is how can I type with "CAPS LOCK" off?

All the CD's I import that GraceNote recognizes it nicely written Like This. When I try to type my own names, I only see caps. Is there a way to "uncaps" or no option for that?