AVIC411.com

[GUIDE] [X930BT/X940BT] - Remove 'CAUTION - SCREEN IMAGE MAY BE REVERSED' text overlay on backup camera

UPDATE: Confirmed for X930BT running 4.0010 Z140 firmware (unconfirmed on pure X940BT).

Background: I am using the reverse camera as a video input for some digital gauges I've managed to get working via a long string of hacks. I originally had the video driving the AV2 input on the X930BT, but I realized that I am not able to listen to music and display the (video-only) gauges, so I decided to try using the input for the reverse camera since it is just an overlay on top of whatever source is driving the sound, and then use an external switch to toggle the 'reverse / gauge' mode.

Well, all went according to plan until I realized the X930BT unit overlays a text CAUTION message which is useless and annoying for my digital gauge display. Enter this hack.

Thanks to Ralpharn to pointing me to the right files in the X930BT filesystem.

Here is my version of a digital-gauge display on the X930BT, maintaining normal AV operation.

post-53130-0-82708400-1336969236_thumb.jpg

Removing the ‘CAUTION: SCREEN IMAGE MAY BE REVERSED’ message:

Thanks to:

condiczek, sebastian32, and Ralpharn, and the creator of WinHex

Head units and other electronics that have international markets will usually store text strings in separate files on a filesystem in order to look up different text-strings from different languages for the same message prompt. The idea is to find the English text string that drives the text for the backup camera CAUTION overlay, and replace the characters in that message with spaces.

Getting your original files:

1. Enter Testmode, copy contents of your X930BT/X940BT USER directory to your SD and back this up on your computer

1. Read the directions from Condi’s thread FYI, but all you're using is his compressed package (I used v1.4) during this procedure to enable Test Mode and gain access to the file system
      1. http://avic411.com/i...dated-13062011/

[*]Copy the contents of the compressed file in Condi’s thread to the root of your SD CARD (need TESTMODE.KEY on the root of the SD)

[*]Insert your SD CARD into the X930BT and turn it on, it should boot into Test Mode (IF NOT, STOP HERE AND REFERENCE CONDI’S THREAD)

[*]Navigate to File Maintenance

[*]Copy the USER directory to your SD to back it up (need to enter the USER directory, select all, copy, navigate to you SD, paste)

[*]Turn off X930BT, remove SD card, copy USER contents from SD card to safe location on your computer (DON’T EVER LOSE THESE FILES, THIS IS THE ONLY ‘STOCK’ IMAGE YOU HAVE!)

[*]From your backup of your USER directory, determine if the file PRG.FLG exists in the USER\ directory. The presence of this file indicates your system uses the USER\PRG1 directory instead of the USER\PRG0 (these can be considered backups of each other). In any below references to USER\PRG0, use instead USER\PRG1.

1. navigate to USER\PRG0\Apl\LANGDATA\StringData\, verify there exists the following two files:

USER\PRG0\Apl\LANGDATA\StringData\EUGBENG.LNG

USER\PRG0\Apl\LANGDATA\StringData\UCUSENU.LNG

Performing the mod:

• Open these two files listed above in WinHex. Search for the ASCII code for CAU by pressing Ctrl+Alt+X (or Search, Find Hex Values). There will be two instances of the string we want to ‘space out’ per file. Text string: CAUTION: SCREEN IMAGE MAY APPEAR REVERSED

1. See before: post-53130-0-24477800-1336949942_thumb.jpg
  2. And after: post-53130-0-06494900-1336949935_thumb.jpg
  3. Here are the hex blocks (the specific bytes you're looking for so you can do a ‘search and replace’:

[*]Save these modified files somewhere on your SD CARD you can reference later

[*]Go back to your X930BT, enter the SD CARD, and turn on the unit (SD should still contain TESTMODE.KEY and should boot into Test Mode).

[*]Enter File Maintenance

[*]Navigate to USER\PRG0\Apl\LANGDATA\StringData\ and delete EUGBENG.LNG and UCUSENU.LNG (must delete, will copy identical (but hacked) files from SD CARD)

[*]Navigate to your SD card and copy the 'hacked' EUGBENG.LNG and UCUSENU.LNG to USER\PRG0\Apl\LANGDATA\StringData\ (NAVIGATE, SELECT, COPY, NAVIGATE, PASTE)

Voila. No more CAUTION message overlaid on your screen.

Assumptions:

I'm assuming these files are different for each unit, and thus you need to use WinHex to modify your own versions of the file. In case these are just generic files, I have attached my 'hacked' versions of the LNG files which would allow you to skip step 3. We can disprove my assumption and thus skip step three permanently if someone sends me their LNG files to compare.

Download:

Below - password is avic411

post-53130-0-82708400-1336969236_thumb.jpg

CamCautionMod.zip

HEX BLOCK for which you’re looking: 430041005500540049004F004E003A002000530043005200450045004E00200049004D0041004700450020004D004100590020004100500050004500410052002000520045005600450052005300450044
HEX BLOCK you want to replace it with:
200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two thigs you need to know:

1. If you have updated unit your working directory can be USER\PRG1\Apl\LANGDATA\StringData\... instead.

2. Apl\LANGDATA\StringData\... contains few language files, you can read them using any text viewer like notepad. So if you need to modify other language- just use right file.

EUGBENG.LNG is EUropean unit with Great Britan ENGlish . LaNGuage.

You also can add interface language by replacing unused file that visible from your unit with one you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Screw the warning message, can you tell us how to get the gauges?? Lol.

'04 WRX here and would love that...

What else did it take besides hacking the unit itself? How is it getting all the readings?

Looks like torque running and outputting video to the HU. Is this through a tablet or a phone that you've got this set up?

Heh, thanks :)

Ya it is torque running on an Android device. I found out the original Samsung Galaxy S phones can output video through the headphone jack; a perfect 1-for-1 of what is on the screen is piped out an RCA-headphone cable (see for yourself: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQBAx_BDfk). So I grabbed a scratched, used Galaxy S off Craiglist, and found the headphone-RCA cable off the internets. The hardest part has been getting the automation correct in Android to power down / go into airplane mode when the power is disconnected, and then bring everything back online when the power is back on. I'm using the app 'Tasker' to achieve this.

Torque, the app running on the Android phone, connects to the car using a standard OBDII to bluetooth adapter. Just search 'ELM327' on ebay and you'll find a bunch of different types that all serve the same function, to allow your android device to connect to your OBDII port over bluetooth. Having torque there is awesome for the logging capabilities, if you haven't used it yet PLEASE download it, grab an adapter off ebay, and support the author. It's probably the best app I've ever seen for android.

So far no negatives with the whole setup besides a lot of learning, and it definitely gets a good 'wow' factor from anyone that looks. I'm looking forward to using it on a track-day so that in-car recording shows a bit more of what's actually going on in the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this remove the bluriness when then input hits the video driver as opposed to the pre startup direct feed??? I'm using a backup cam and just wanted to know before I try it

Just checked, yea it still goes blurry.

TopCoder... effin awesome :)

• 2 months later...

If your testmode allows you to replace files- yes. as far as I konw new X940's testmode- does not support copy/past features.

If by some wild chance your unit is not locked, make backup first! (and share it! please!)

You are right. I cannot copy and paste. Just have to wait to see who can crack this open!

JImbo

• 5 weeks later...