AVIC411.com

Please help me understand the D3...

So, I want to get this straight in my head:

Since the D3 is a single-DVD/CD drive, do I have to leave the nav DVD in the drive in order to see ANY navigation, or just to input driving directions?

If the nav DVD's get "misplaced", I gotta cough up the money for replacements right, as nothing is actually stored in the unit?

Also, the D3 has no zone control, correct...? For rear seat DVD playback?

I'm graduating from the Honda navigation system in my Accord to either a Z1 or D3 to be installed in a new Mazda CX-7 so I'm trying to whittle down the main differences between these two units...

Honda's setup has a 6-disc CD changer in the dash and a DVD drive in the trunk so there was never any type of nav disc swapping needed...

Thanks!

(PS: Not that I'll be able to find a Z1, of course...;))

So, I want to get this straight in my head:

Since the D3 is a single-DVD/CD drive, do I have to leave the nav DVD in the drive in order to see ANY navigation, or just to input driving directions?

No the d3 acts like the n series. It will read a portion of the map data into memory. Once you travel outside of the area it will ask you to reinsert the map disc.

If the nav DVD's get "misplaced", I gotta cough up the money for replacements right, as nothing is actually stored in the unit?

Pretty much. Though remember legally you are allowed to have 1 backup of the map discs. I have the backups in the car and the originals in my saftey deposit box.

Also, the D3 has no zone control, correct...? For rear seat DVD playback?

Couldn't really say. I see no mention of it in any of the lit I have for the d3.

I'm graduating from the Honda navigation system in my Accord to either a Z1 or D3 to be installed in a new Mazda CX-7 so I'm trying to whittle down the main differences between these two units...

Honda's setup has a 6-disc CD changer in the dash and a DVD drive in the trunk so there was never any type of nav disc swapping needed...

Thanks!

(PS: Not that I'll be able to find a Z1, of course...;))

Not a problm. You might want to check out some of the other posts comparing the 2 for more info.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, you can more than likely just keep the nav DVD in the drive at all times, and purchase a pioneer 6 disc changer to add. problem solved. :D

it has NO AV bus so you can't use the dvd changer

what you can do is hook up an external dvd play and use the rear seat output