AVIC411.com

I have Had the Z140bh unit for a couple months now. I bought a 32 gb sd card and 32 gb usb flash drive and filled them both about 80% with music. The issue im having is that some of the folders are missing on the unit after it reads the sd card and usb drive. the will display when plugged into the computer and used to display on the unit I rearranged music files in a different folder that was not displaying and it cause another folder to no longer display yet shows up on the computer just not the unit. i have tried checking the properties on the folder anything out of hte ordinary and can not seem to find anything that shows a differance. anyone have this issue or might knowwhat is causeing this it would be appreciated. i am very tech savvy and know my way around electronics, but this has stumped me.

there is main folders adn then a few folders deep only like a couple per folder. the issue on the usb drive is actually the smallest folder as far as contents but the flash drive the missing folder is actually the largest containing about 9 gb of music. the issue arose after the first small folder would not display so i went in and moved files to delete a bunch of folders that were unnessecary in which i removed around 40 folders from the sd card and the flash drive each. what are the limitations as i was told by the tech at pioneer that there were no limitations on that it wouldnt read anything bigger than a 32 gb sd card and 32 gb usb.

Page 218 of the manual - Limit for memory stick or memory card ect is 2500 files 300 folders. Anything beyond that won't show up on the system.

The order they show up in is based on the order that they got created in the FAT table which is the order you copied them on the card unless you use a FAT sorter to change it. (I have a post on a FAT sorter on here)

i looked it up and its actually page 217 in the manual. thank you for the info this would explain this thing and would include probably my only major gripe of the unit this is a terrible restriction to have placed on it the 300 folders yes thats a good number. but 2500 files per storage device is ultra low considering it can read up to 32 gb it just doesnt make any sense. i wish there was a software over ride for this limitation. it would make my music life so much simpler that and i wish the unit would combine my storage device librarys too.

With the quirkyness of the HU's video playlist interface, I suggest you use your flash drives for video. Unfortunately, even THAT statement isn't as easy as it sounds. The player is very finicky about videos on an external flash drive.

The iPhone/iPod Touch interface on the HU is more desirable than fiddling with folders from an SD card.

Your only issue is getting ALL of your videos to play from the flash drive.

The order they show up in is based on the order that they got created in the FAT table which is the order you copied them on the card unless you use a FAT sorter to change it. (I have a post on a FAT sorter on here)

I just bought 3 16GB SD cards, thanks for the tip about FAT sorter!

With the quirkyness of the HU's video playlist interface, I suggest you use your flash drives for video. Unfortunately, even THAT statement isn't as easy as it sounds. The player is very finicky about videos on an external flash drive.

The iPhone/iPod Touch interface on the HU is more desirable than fiddling with folders from an SD card.

Your only issue is getting ALL of your videos to play from the flash drive.

not videos just music only videos im playing are coming from a dvd. an option i am considering now is either getting 2 more flash drives and equalling out the music dow ntothe 2500 limit or using a 4.7 gb data dvd and burn music to it which doesntmake sense thatthe unit will read 3500 songs from a 4.7 gb dvd but only 2500 from a 32gb sd card. i still love the unit, but i could have designed somthing entirely better than what pioneer developers did with this unit.

I use a 32gb card that currently has 30gb used by 2200 songs, 180 music videos, 30 misc short video and 11 full movies. Everything is well organized and easy to find to listen/watch. At 4 min a song that over 6 days of music without a song repeat... throw in the videos and movies it's 7+ days before anything would repeat.

I'm not a fan of the 2500/350 limit but that said I make it work.

For video create a video file to the spec below and save it on the card and it wil play no problem

h264 encoding

640x480

Bitrate must be under 1k for the complete stream try - 800k bit rate for video 128k bit rate for audio

file size under 2gb

not videos just music only videos im playing are coming from a dvd. an option i am considering now is either getting 2 more flash drives and equalling out the music dow ntothe 2500 limit or using a 4.7 gb data dvd and burn music to it which doesntmake sense thatthe unit will read 3500 songs from a 4.7 gb dvd but only 2500 from a 32gb sd card. i still love the unit, but i could have designed somthing entirely better than what pioneer developers did with this unit.

You'll find the DVD read speed and load times a burden playing music. and forget about setting it to Random across folders and having it be quick

You'll find the DVD read speed and load times a burden playing music. and forget about setting it to Random across folders and having it be quick

Thanks for the tip i have decided to just get 2 more 16gb sd cards and divide up my music its a lil bit of a nuisance but i suppose i can live with it although i do rememberthe old avic z1 i put my x wifes impala that came with a 60 gb hard drive built in and auto recorded songs to the hard drive that was nice but it had its nuisances too.

I have Had the Z140bh unit for a couple months now. I bought a 32 gb sd card and 32 gb usb flash drive and filled them both about 80% with music. The issue im having is that some of the folders are missing on the unit after it reads the sd card and usb drive. the will display when plugged into the computer and used to display on the unit I rearranged music files in a different folder that was not displaying and it cause another folder to no longer display yet shows up on the computer just not the unit. i have tried checking the properties on the folder anything out of hte ordinary and can not seem to find anything that shows a differance. anyone have this issue or might knowwhat is causeing this it would be appreciated. i am very tech savvy and know my way around electronics, but this has stumped me.

Hello,

I am not sure if this will help, but I've been recently filling up a 16GB sd card with music and videos. I have a 2012 AVH-P8400 though

for sure I'm promoting a class 10 SD card over all other media connections. it's insanely fast.

anyhow.. my head unit has an option to rebuild my SD card database.

Did you find you added to the SD card over time new music after you'd played it in your car?

Well, at any rate, I've been playing with FAT sorters to re-arrange my card, and also adding more, and testing different video codecs I have.

So here is my experience I have noticed in doing so over multiple in/out to my laptop to re-load.

1) usually the first time you load the SD card (Virgin insert) it will ask to build a DB and save to the SD card. and I have a /data folder on my SD card now.

2) If you add more files to the SD card, but do not rename, or move, or modify any other file/folder that was indexed by your Unit... it just reads the SD card index, and skips looking as the contents passed (No changes found to indexed data). nothing out of the ordinary to me at this point

3) I started changing around file names etc on original data indexed, and the next time I loaded to the HU, the index failed, and it asked me to rebuild (or skip). And I rebuilt.

I can actually just press an icon labelled DB and it'll rebuild the index right there at anytime and it'll ask to save the new index.

So it might be more complicated then that, but that is my observation.

So far though it's been great.

If an entire album isn't in the correct codec etc, you should still be able to see the data with the HU, and try to play the file (if extension is recognized) and it will fail. The appendix on my HU is pretty good for each device and the types of files/file structures it can handle, and codec Max limits. a good manual goes a long way.

Again, sorry for posting on wrong HU forum, but who knows what experiences for other might help.

If they figure how to get an AppRadio JB app to dump your iPhone music store to the HU SD card, that would be lights out the coolest thing.