AVIC411.com

Solved: After CNSD310-FM upgrade, no Mute Level (attenuation) on Z110

Update: see post #23 for solution to Mute Level non-functional.

After installing the Z140 upgrade on my Z110 (which was running Z130 s/w), I thought all went well. This morning, I noticed the volume didn't lower when I pressed the VR button to enter voice commands to my iPod. So I manually lowered the volume and spoke the command - which worked as usual - then manually raised the volume to a normal level. So VR works - just no attenuation.

While sitting at a stop light, I checked the AV System Settings menu to see if my previous selection got turned off during the upgrade. Although the [Mute] setting was still Guide/Tel/VR, the [Mute Level] button next to it was greyed out and did not display any setting. Pressing [Mute Level] should cycle between 20dB, 10dB, or All. But it had no effect. According to the Z140 manual (pg 180), this setting "is not available when AV source is Off". The unit is behaving as if the AV source is Off, even though it is playing my iPod source.

I tried doing factory reset, still [Mute Level] is inoperable.

Has anyone else seen this problem???? It seems wierd that only this feature/option got disabled. I wonder if it is related to the fact that the files posted were actually for Z130 hardware upgrade. Pioneer has a different upgrade product for Z110-Z120 hardware. However others have upgraded Z120s and not reported any problems. Maybe they just haven't noticed the problem?

So is this a general issue with the upgrade, or just some fluke related to my upgrade? I consider loosing the Level Attenuation feature a "show-stopper", and would definitely not recommend upgrading a Z110/Z120 with this software until this issue is resolved.

I don't suppose I could just reload my old software - go back to the Z130 version??? Looks like PRG1 is still the old stuff. Could just set PRG.FLG, but I don't know if the NDATA will match.

hrmm.. I have x930bt upgraded to 2012 unit software. I have the mute options available (and they seem to work) when I have cd playing.

That's sorta my point, the CNSD-310FM image we have was for the x930 and z130. The other released product was for the x910, x920, z110, z120. So, if anyone has upgraded that hardware, please respond whether your VR attenuation is working.

BTW, I haven't had much time to experiment with this. I noticed the issue on the way to work and I only had a chance to try iPod VR commands, haven't tried incoming phone calls, or any AV source other than iPod. But first, I'll try a hard-reset (pull the fuse) just to make sure everything has been reset.

Although I doubt it has caused this, I'll mention that I had accidently installed the Condi's HackMode patch to my HU, which left it temporarily bricked. It seems to touch a few files, including the AV program. Not sure which or how many others. I recovered by switching to PRG1 by setting PRG.FLG. The HU seemed to be working at the time I installed RenewalIFLib-AUTO-REPLACER v1.2 but I didn't try VR, so I don't know if the attenuation still worked before the CNSD-310FM upgrade.

my unit's from 110-120-130 and now with 140 updated.

the guide voice reduction working just normally. mine set -20(db??)

if music if playing, any phone call or NAVI voice guide kicks in, it will auto reduce, no problem at all.

my problem with new update is it no longer tell you the final destination point is on the right or left any more.

it will just tell you that you have reach your destination, don't like it but can live with it I guess

my unit's from 110-120-130 and now with 140 updated.

the guide voice reduction working just normally. mine set -20(db??)

if music if playing, any phone call or NAVI voice guide kicks in, it will auto reduce, no problem at all.

my problem with new update is it no longer tell you the final destination point is on the right or left any more.

it will just tell you that you have reach your destination, don't like it but can live with it I guess

Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, did you install the copy of the SD Sheka uploaded? I still can't get anything to show-up in the Mute Level setting - it's just blank. Your's seems to work as before.

I haven't tried setting a destination yet. I agree that it was a nice feature telling you whether the destination was right or left.

hi Rons:

I got all mine updates through this forum. so yes, I did get it through sheka's uploaded.

and I went with original test mode method and went smoothly at first try and never had any issue so far besides that US TTS won't tell you your destination is on the right or left side any more but then under the US English, it does tell you on right or left (I just tried when on my way home from work), and also, US english's voice voulume is lower than TTS's voice!!

hope this helps?? though you help us more than amazingly!!! thank you so much!!!

Still no Mute Level on AV System Settings screen. Actually, the Mute Level button is enabled, but nothing happens when you press it, and the value inside the button is blank. It Illuminates when you press it, but nothing changes. I wonder if the value stored in NAND (or wherever settings are stored) wasn't initiallized to a legal value during the installation, and the screen software can't convert it to a displayable value..

Another odd thing. I still have the Antenna Control button - it selects activation of the external power to either Antenna or Radio (only), I thought that feature was removed - its not in the Z140 manual.

post-43400-0-71738100-1349825919_thumb.jpg

are you sure that you are booting the 4.x version of navi software, and not the older PRG somehow?

system settings, service information, then long-press the top left corner of the screen to get the full service info panel

Thanks pionara.

Yup, Apl Version 4.010

I noticed some other junk in PRG0/APL that i I don't think belongs there - probably residual junk from the Condi Hackmode fiasco.

Such as Mortscript.exe. And it seemed to of replaced my AV.exe with a mortscript. After installing the Z140 (it went into PRG0.)

I now have two different AV apps (AV and AV1) that are different sizes. AV.exe is 4,182,016 bytes, AV1.exe is 3,543,552 bytes. In PRG1/APL (the old Z130 s/w) there are also two, but AV.exe and AV1.exe are identical.

In PRG0/APL, NAVI is 8,155,136 bytes.

Any idea why two identical AV applications in the PRG1, but different sizes in PRG0? Could that be the problem? BTW, The Condi Hackmode install seemed to only modify my PRG0. When it wouldn't boot afterwards, I installed /USER/PRG.FLG so it would load the PRG1 files - which seemed to fix the Z130 operation. Then I installed CNSD-310FM and it loaded into PRG0, seemed to leave PRG1 alone.

So, I'm open to any ideas - even going back to the Z130 s/w if possible. The only real improvement in Z140 that I might use is the Android Pandora, AHA and appmode. But I'll probably not use it much.

I just deleted everything under /USER/PRG1 (my old Z130 s/w), then copied /USER/PRG0 (Z140) files into PRG1. Then I deleted /USR/PRG1/APL and loaded everything off the CNSD-310FM SD. Finally, I copied PRG.FLG into /USER to activate the PRG1 software. So this should of cleaned up any garbage files in APL.

Restarted the HU and still no Mute Level setting. So either the retained settings are messed-up, or the menu software is in a system area, not the application area. Where are system registries and software stored? I remember reading that there are other partitions that are not mounted in TestMode. Any idea where the settings are stored/persisted??? Maybe I could just hard-code an acceptable value so I can get some sort of attenuation during VR dialogs.

pionara, if you come across a DLL function call relevant to the MuteLevel, maybe it could be patched like your Safe/PB hack.

I guess I need to start learning how to disassemble these binaries. I havent done any reverse engineering in many years, and never on a WinCE platform. Not even sure where to start learning this stuff.

hrmm

only thing i can suggest is to (after making a backup), nuke "USER\SETUP"

Thought I'd post an update - no change.

As you suggested, I backed-up SETUP, deleted all the files, and restarted. The HU appeared as if it was a factory reset - as far as customizations and user settings went. But the Mute Level button still didn't work. So I restored the old SETUP files to restore my old setup.

pionara, I also see an RW directory. Any idea what those files are?

Seems really odd that I'm the only one having this issue. The only thing unusual about my upgrade istallation wa the problem I had after installing Condi's hackmode. I looked at the scripts that run to install it and didn't see where it touched much outside of /USER/PRG0 and 1.

I'm still interested in finding where the Settings menu software is stored or, more importantly, the routines that access the settings from the OS or application.

Everything is in Navi.exe (navigation + system settings + main "menu") except for the AV screens (which have the input selection scroll bar on left side).

I have been digging through code, but it is very diffcult to understand event-driven GUI setup routines when everything is dereferenced and no symbols except for what is imported from other libs.

One way i have had some luck is finding the strings and looking for the function that calls the string index. This works for somethings but not others.

For example, I am unable to find the caution screen texts. I know they are 823,824,825 hex as I modified these strings in the lang file and the caution screen reflected this. I just cannot find these in the navi.exe code. (I'm certain it's there... Will start up another thread for this) ;)

0823: CAUTION!

0824: This Navi product is intended solely as a driving aid. Review instruction manual

0825: OK

So back to your problem. You can try wiping EVERYTHING out under USER and manually copying over USER\PRG0 from the Update\USER\PRG folder

that will reset pretty much everything...

Do you still have an antenna selection in that menu?