AVIC411.com

I DID IT!!!!

I installed the AVIC-Z1 in my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X with the help of a professional installer.

We took the old radio out, performing surgery on the Jeep to fit the AVIC-Z1, the whole was to small. He hard wired the speakers, power and took the ignition from the cig. lighter. The VSS we picked up next to the computer in the engine compartment. The GPS antenna I left on to of the radio, covert by a plastic cover.

All works great including the by-pass.

The only problem is the iPod, all the controls work, but no sound.

You have to switch the ends of the IP bus cable going from the iPod unit to the Z1.

When the cable is backwards, you get control but no sound. If I remember correctly, out is black, so you would need to put the black end of the IP bus into the black 'out' of the iPod box, and the blue end of the IP bus into the blue 'in' of the Z1.

I will ask him in the morning.
Egmont, I'm going to be in S NJ with the jeep late next week. I'd consider hiring your installer to do mine. You have a PM on the other forum w/my contact info...please give it to him. I don't have the Pioneer unit, nor the Metra part yet...can you give me a clue where to get them?
The color of the ipbus cable doesn't really matter, just make sure the end going to the ipod interface is plugged into the blue port of the interface.

Actually I'm pretty sure it does. I had the correct ports on both devices (ipod and Z1) but I had the colors backwards on the cable (even in the correct ports) and I had the same problem, controls and no audio. This is what I remember going back to April 06 when I installed mine and had the same problem. I'm not about to rip my Z1 out to double check my memory though :)

Thanks guy's I will check it tomorrow, I made it easy to get too.

Come on now ducatiboy, don't you want to run out and check it quickly? :lol::lol:

No not really. I could have accidentally reverse the wire and plugged it into the wrong port as well. I know I had the colors reversed, but I thought I had it in the right ports, but I pulled them out and revered the cable and when I plugged it back in I thought I plugged the cable back into the same ports but colors reversed and it worked.

If cntrylvr79 tested this, then he is right. I'm going off what I thought I did 10 months ago.