AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 vs. D3: Show me what you got...

So, Im placing something into My X5 and up until now, I've been focusing on the Z1 (got BT, IPOD, NAVTRAF, PAC controls,etc. all for the Z1). Well, after seeing this push of the D3, I'm a bit skeptical on going to the Z1/Z2, especially when i hear about so much improvement over all other (American) AVIC models by the D3.

Any input, compare - contrast, etc?

Only what you've read on the forum thus far. The d3 ain't out yet so no one here has been able to live test it yet.

In the D3 forum area, someone mentioned that the D3 is at there local shop and he got hands on. Also, another person was at CES and got hands on. So, Im posting this here because I know there is a natural bias to the Z1/Z2 and I need to be swayed... :)

Do you like a big screen, better navigation including text to speech and better POI mapping because its HDD based, music storage, voice recognition, and slow ipod control? If you do, buy the Z1/2.

If you would prefer a slightly smaller screen, faster ipod, no music storage, one disk slot for nav disk/DVD/CD etc., custom button colors to match your dash, and the ability to play Divx and burned mp3s on DVD, then get the D3

i see D3 support extension of Bluetooth as well, but does D3 has Mic for that?

From what i see, D3 + 6 disc changer seems to be better than Z1, and i got the same dilama as the thread starter, i was saving up for Z1, but find out about D3 in this forum. So what are the "difference" from the 2 avic? other than HDD issue.

The D3 doesn't come with a mic. For bluetooth, you purchase the CDBTB100 (or 200 when it comes out) and it includes the mic. I just mentioned the differences a few posts above yours. There are also numerous threads on the D3 in the D1/2/3 forum

i see D3 support extension of Bluetooth as well, but does D3 has Mic for that?

From what i see, D3 + 6 disc changer seems to be better than Z1, and i got the same dilama as the thread starter, i was saving up for Z1, but find out about D3 in this forum. So what are the "difference" from the 2 avic? other than HDD issue.

Only way i see the D3 beating the Z1 is price, and maybe the ipod speed, i would rather have HDD navigation over DVD based, thats just me, if you want a example, download a linux live CD mount usb key for saving settings and all that, use it, then install the OS from the live CD (ubuntu is a good one) thats a good test to see how hard HDD owns disk based. so like i said if you have the money go with the Z1.

They both appear to be tight units. Different people will like one over the other. I personally have a D3 on order because I primarily listen to my ipod and Sirius/XM. The navi on the Z1/2 is definitely better that the D1/2 and apparently the D3, but not enough for me to give up up the faster ipod.

Only way i see the D3 beating the Z1 is price, and maybe the ipod speed, i would rather have HDD navigation over DVD based, thats just me, if you want a example, download a linux live CD mount usb key for saving settings and all that, use it, then install the OS from the live CD (ubuntu is a good one) thats a good test to see how hard HDD owns disk based. so like i said if you have the money go with the Z1.
They both appear to be tight units. Different people will like one over the other. I personally have a D3 on order because I primarily listen to my ipod and Sirius/XM. The navi on the Z1/2 is definitely better that the D1/2 and apparently the D3, but not enough for me to give up up the faster ipod.

two big differences between Z1/2 and D3:

1- price ( Z1/2 around 200% more expensive than D3 )

2 - ipod audio/video direct control ( YES, you can watch ipod video via D3 unit first time with Pioneer !, ALL you need is one touch on D3, then there goes the next Movie/MTV/TV Shows/Podcast )

For me, yes, navi performance on Z1/2 is amazing, however the daily muti-media entertainment is more important than the difference on navi performance !

fair enough, im not knocking either unit, i just personally ordered a Z1 for my car the other day, my friends buying a d3, im sure both are great, now all pioneer has to do it take the features of the d3 and include it in there Z's to bad z2s didnt do more then what there going to do, maybe the Z3 will be the untimate! lol, good nav, good ipod control, 5 volt preouts! just a dream.

You may very well be right. Pioneer doesn't change a whole lot on navi units except every two generations. The N1 didn't improve (except software til the N3 when it gained ipod and XM improvements.) The N4 is still unannounced so I bet it has a huge improvement. The D1 and D2 were the same except for software but the D3 is hugely improved. The Z1 and Z2 will be the same except for software. I would think the Z3 will include a big improvement (faster ipod, divx, dvd mp3, etc.) and probably other cool stuff that I will want. Just seems to be how they do it

fair enough, im not knocking either unit, i just personally ordered a Z1 for my car the other day, my friends buying a d3, im sure both are great, now all pioneer has to do it take the features of the d3 and include it in there Z's to bad z2s didnt do more then what there going to do, maybe the Z3 will be the untimate! lol, good nav, good ipod control, 5 volt preouts! just a dream.

also D3 plays DivX video and mp3, which is 1 down side of Z1.

Does anyone know for detail of the map wise, how big difference is it on both system? Also i've looked at the 6 disc/12 disc cd changer, wonder why they don't put a DVD changer version so i can put in 2 Navi disc in there =/

DVD changers are expensive and you can always buy one seperately and put it under your seat or in your glovebox. They are obviously banking on selling more with a lower retail

also D3 plays DivX video and mp3, which is 1 down side of Z1.

Does anyone know for detail of the map wise, how big difference is it on both system? Also i've looked at the 6 disc/12 disc cd changer, wonder why they don't put a DVD changer version so i can put in 2 Navi disc in there =/