AVIC411.com

Bluetooth phone quality with App radio

Much has been discussed on the "Z" Forum as to the Bluetooth sound clarity for phone use via the AVIC Z1 series through the Z140. This is in regards to how clear your voice comes through to who you're talking to.

Borrowing from the old adage that the only dumb question is the one not asked, is this also the case for the App radios? Wondering since the App head unit is much more intimate with the I Phone and Android units. My guess same transmission quality issues (mic efficiency seems to be the conclusion at this point), but don't want to guess but rather have feedback of actual experience.

Thanks

I just installed my AppRadio 2, so I haven't made any phone calls yet, but the original was more or less simply passable. It was in no way unusable, but the people you were calling would not want to have a conversation on the complexities of Socrates on it.

Overall I like everything about the 2 more than the original, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has better bluetooth quality.

I found a hardware breakdown on another forum and the poster showed that the ar2 uses a Bluetooth radio manufactured by Parrot. I forget the size of the mic jack on the ar2, but was wondering if a double noise cancelling mic taken from a Parrot mki9200 would improve voice quality.

First off, where are people getting such info about these things? Like for example I read on here a few months ago that the difference between the DA-01 and the DA-02 was that the 01 was made by dual and not by Pioneer.

That being said, If the microphone is made by parrot, that just means it will be a high quality microphone. it is not, however, one of their dual mic noise canceling shin digs. Those very clearly look like dual mics because the part has two very distinctly separated mics on it.

I guess I didn't post clearly enough. I said the bluetooth radio was made by Parrot, not necessarily the mic. That's why I suggested the double noise cancelling mic taken from a Parrot could be used instead of the stock Pioneer mic, which might make things better for people with voice quality. I, like 400ixl, don't have a problem, but this post is from someone who does.

As to where I'm getting this from? Appradioforums>Appradio2>Installs>Appradio internals.

More specifically, this:

http://s1322.beta.photobucket.com/user/Digital069/media/AppRadio2/IMG_20121027_150046.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

Thanks for the info, and sorry I misread your post. That is interesting.

1. Does the parrot have the same size microphone port as the Pioneer?

2. is the pioneer port a stereo port? No point in a stereo microphone for a mono sound in. Also the noise cancelling is partially software. Might now help if the appradio isn't trying to process such data.

Yeah, I was just wondering myself. I have my mic nesting besides my overhead console where it actually does a great job. Back to the OP's first question, maybe the appradio is better than Z1 series. I had an Ego Look bluetooth car kit before and the mic was excellent. I would experiment with that one since it's mono like the Pioneer's, but the body man repairing hail dents on my roof managed to sever the cord when he reattached my headliner.

I just tore apart my radio to move the microphone to a better position, and while I was back there I had a look at the port. The pioneer has a mono microphone. Judging by that my money is on the port being a mono port as well.

Now as far as audio quality of the equipment that comes with the AppRadio 2, the sound quality is excellent. It definitely is a Parrot chip handing the sound processing on that radio. The quality is superb, and according to the people that I've talked to it is still somehow cancelling out most of the noise from the road. I don't think it is good enough to be put in a convertible, but the audio is very clear. I especially know this because siri now works perfectly while I'm driving. I'm very impressed.

Its absolutely fine in my convertible. I have the microphone down on the speedo binnacle and no issues with people hearing me clearly at the other end.

As for Siri working, I think you will find that Siri is using the iPhone microphone and not the radio one. The radio one is only used for the bluetooth phone element. The appradio element uses the phone microphone.

Oh no it definitely uses the car microphone. Every time I use it the car phone screen appears and siri responds through the speakers. I know this because google's search app does not use the car microphone every time and you can tell the difference. The appradio 1 was like this as well and its bluetooth was frankly garbage. This made siri useless over 40 miles an hour. WIth my new AppRadio 2 I have talked to her while going damn near 100.