AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS (New!) - Manual has disappointing news for iPhone 5 users...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't most people just stick the detachable face under the drivers seat? I can't imagine it's much of a deterrent these days. This is how I'm looking at it -- the x3500 is $295, x5500 is $390, and the x8500 $540 (all on Amazon), so $150 (or $245) difference to get the x8500. IF I want the option of using AppRadio w/ an i5 on the x5500/x3500 I need to spend an additional $90 or so over what I would for the x8500, so assuming I want that option in the future the price difference is really $60/$155. $60 basically for removable face and an extra USB port (I don't see why I need an SD slot)? I guess so, though I'm not convinced there won't be a better solution in 12-months that doesn't require all these adapter cables and works more seamlessly with the i5. If I don't care about AppRadio at all (and I'm having a hard time seeing me using it too much) then $295 for the x3500 starts to look attractive, even though I don't get the 7" screen. I could spend $300 and get the updated radio in a year or two when something better comes along, and not be out too much in the mean time. Is there a processor speed difference between the three units -- something that would effect actual usability on day one even without using AppRadio? OT Random question -- in the days of smart phones/iPads does anybody really sit and look at photos or watch movies on their car radio?

You do realize that the i5 solution for the 5500 is required, has no substitute, is 120 dollars MSRP and you still have to buy at least one Apple adapter. Thats probably closer to 170 dollars for a working solution for the 5500. And I can promise you that once you start using App Mode you will likely not use most of the unit's other features. The possibilities with just the 10 or so apps that are compatible are far more then not having that feature at all.

You do realize that the i5 solution for the 5500 is required, has no substitute, is 120 dollars MSRP and you still have to buy at least one Apple adapter. Thats probably closer to 170 dollars for a working solution for the 5500. And I can promise you that once you start using App Mode you will likely not use most of the unit's other features. The possibilities with just the 10 or so apps that are compatible are far more then not having that feature at all.

They both need a $50 Apple adapter, so that is a wash. The x5500 i5 cable is $100 at crutchfield, and I figured $10 in generic USB/HDMI cables for the x8500, so net $90 difference.

Don't most people just stick the detachable face under the drivers seat? I can't imagine it's much of a deterrent these days.

If you stick your detachable face under the drivers seat you are a brain dead moron and deserve it to be stolen from you.

I take it with me, and it also depends on the area, if its a good area I just hide it in the glove compartment and lock it.

If I want to carry around a 7" screen with me, i'll buy an ipad. Do you really consider the 'locked' glovie safer than under the seat?  :shock:

Are you retarded ?? 1st of all, the glove compartment is way safer than the obvious under the seat, you have to be a complete moron to put it under the seat. The glove compartment is under a lock and key and you cant break into it, you can just snap the handle off but you wont be able to open it. Under the seat, wow you are such a fool.

And who carries it around ?? I take it home or bring it in with me inside a friends house or whatever, and if its a night out glove compartment. Ipad ? lol you idiot, Ipad size is like 5 times this screen.

I figured you just carried in your murse, or if speed walking the mall maybe your fannie pack.

In anycase, I postured 'Don't most people' because that is what 'most people' do, ninny. Under the seat. I don't own the unit, how am I going to put it under my seat?

If you'd like to contribute to the thead, being an owner of the unit, rather than offer your opinion on your steel plated military grade glovebox, please help out with the unanswered questions:

Is there a processor difference b/t the x3500/x5500/x8500?

Does the proprietary 17-pin USB cable option in the x8500 provide something of value, like more power to charge say an iPad? Anything else?

KO7 -- how do you like your Sony backup camera? Any reason you chose that over the Pioneer camera?

KO7 -- how do you like your Sony backup camera? Any reason you chose that over the Pioneer camera?

I'm actually picking up the backup camera, android cable, and micro bypass today from the post office.  The X8500BHS is scheduled to come in this Thursday.  Hopefully I can have it installed on Saturday so that I can contribute something meaningful to ppl considering the unit, stay tuned.

As for the camera, it has the best combo of price and good reviews that I can find, I've got high expectations for it. 

I was just looking through the manual again and comparing to the back of the unit that VBlue posted above -- the manual makes no reference to the 17-pin propritary USB connection, and I don't see a port for it on the back of the unit anywhere either, yet the CD-IH202 cable clearly has a some square proprietary interface. Where does this cable attach? Anyone know?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Images/Product%20Images/Car/CD-IH202_large.jpg

Also does the iPhone 4 AppRadio cable (CD-IU201S) use the same port that the optional AVIC-U250 navigation unit? Not that I'd ever buy it but curious if that could be confirmed. The manual seems to indicate that it does.

re: the 17-pin proprietary USB connection, this Amazon post just clarified a bunch of things.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-CDIH202-AppRadio-Interface-iPhone/product-reviews/B00BHWWZ2G/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The X8500 doesn't even have a 17-pin port, that is for one of the other units this cable works with (AppRadio 2, AVIC-Z150BH/X950BH). It ONLY has 2 USB ports. Basically Pioneer is telling you you need this $60 cable set just for the included $3 HDMI cable, and to toss the rest of the set including their proprietary cable in the trash. Scumbags.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to determine if I could rig this unit to work with both an iPhone5 AND an iPhone4 or iPad, given all their special cables, and almost bought this set thinking I would gain an extra port by using it.

Now I understand why everyone has been having success without using Pioneer's cable -- it's not even an option!

Their marketing dept needs an overhaul to say the least.

I had the most frustrating time trying to find their phantom cable that's listed on their site for android phones (cda-h200).  Asking various retailers as well as Pioneer themselves what the difference is between that and cda-h200C for App Radio 2 was like pulling teeth.   

In the end, I ordered the cda-h200C for $40, so can't complain TOO much.  "Scumbags" is right. 

so i am a little confused...

i ordered the x8500bhs last night to replace my stolen z130bt, i also ordered the cd-ih202.  does it look like i actually dont need the cable to make the iphone 5 work witht he unit?

Also has anyone every used the add on navigation unit with a dvd unit?