AVIC411.com

Z150 - iPhone 5 battery draining during AppRadio mode

Can anyone else confirm this? I have a Z150 with an iPhone 5. When I use the AppRadio mode for video output to the screen (such as Slingplayer or Netflix), the iPhone 5 battery actually drains instead of charges. Is this normal? When I plug the phone up and don't use AppRadio mode, it charges just fine.

I find it hard to believe that when the phone is being used in AppRadio mode, the battery will eventually die even while connected to the charging cable. Can anyone confirm? I want to make sure it's not a defect in my radio.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure the phone would actually die but I have noticed that app radio mode "drains" the battery. I actually think there is an issue where it actually isn't charging. This should be something that can be fixed with firmware or updates to the pioneer apps. I really think those apps are not built well and could use a little more work done to them.

Just to follow up, I contacted Pioneer via email and they replied with a link to send the unit in for service.  Basically, they said my unit is malfunctioning and they have no plans for an update.

I find it hard to believe that all of us have malfunctioning units.  I did notice that when I use CarMediaPlayer, the battery charges fine.  But as soon as I start messing with it (changing/launching other apps), the battery starts to drain.  Also, it drains when watching any videos.

I think I may try to hook up a cig lighter charger to the lightning input of the digital AV adapter...while using the HDMI for the head unit.  I think the lightning from the head unit is only for charging anyway.  This would tell me if the Pioneer is the problem or if maybe the iPhone 5 just can't run video out/mirror and still charge the battery.  My 3rd generation iPad has this problem.  Its battery drains while "charging" if I am using graphics intensive apps.

Happens for me too.  I think the reason being....The power going into the DV adapter is to power the adapter itself.  It also sends some power to the phone.  If i am correct, when you disconnect the power to the adapter it does not work.  When you use the adapter to play video, the phone is working harder to convert and render and things like that.  Playing music is not hard on the cpu like video is.  

• 1 month later...

So I have noticed the same problem but today I decided to switch the usb cable to the one that is just for charging in the back of the unit and it seems to work WAY better!!  It actually was charging while I was using Waze and iHeart radio.  I am going to talk to Pioneer on Monday and see if they are aware of this and what if anything they can do to fix the issue.  I hope this helps please let me know if any of you have the same success with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked to Pioneer and they basicly said there is no update that will fix that and to continue to use the charge port because it has a stronger output.  So...I guess dont use the USB cable that comes with the CDIH202 for charging.  At least he didnt say that it was a defective unit.  Hope this helps

Perhaps, down the road, Apple will release a newer, more efficient HDMI adapter (and iPhone) thus passing on the extra power to our phones. If you want to minimize your power drain, be sure to turn down brightness, close out unnecessary apps (including GPS) and turn off wireless. I recently did a routine 3 hour trip in which my phone only went down 18% vs previously completely dying before the end of the trip. I am GUESSING the USB from pioneer that powers our CDIH202 is only 500mah where the charge port is a healthier 1000mah. 500mah will barely charge an iPhone 5, much less a running iPhone with maximum brightness, wifi, bluetooth (required) and an Apple HDMI converter running in the same power stream. If thats true then bad design Pioneer, BAD DESIGN!

Load an app like BatterySaver and run its "discharge rank" function listed under "more", it will tell you where your power leaks are (hint most AppRadio Apps are KILLER) maybe you can trim some power usage off your demands and decrease your discharge rate.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...