AVIC411.com

Did something utterly foolish....

Why would a damp cloth (water) harm the screen?  I can see where spraying significant amounts of water, or any liquid for that matter, could cause moisture issues.  Why is water damaging if used sparingly vs isopropyl alcohol?

It isn't the water, per se. It's all the stuff in the water that you find in waster that hasn't been distilled. The minerals in particular can conduct electricity and cause shorts. As the water dries, the minerals get left behind, deposited on the electronics and can help corrode the metals used in the PCB. None of this is terribly good for the electronics, but the shorts themselves are pretty bad, and you don't need a lot to cause shorts with how close things are on PCBs these days. (EDIT: Note that the water in this case got into the buttons just below the screen, and shorted those out.)

Isopropyl Alcohol on the other hand has a low evaporation point, and the mixtures you find are non-conductive. Distilled water could also be used, but it won't evaporate nearly as quickly, and and the alcohol will help break down and clean off the oils left on the glass better. 

A water-dampened cloth will only harm the screen if the cloth scratches it.  The water itself will not harm the screen... but may not remove the contaminants on the screen (especially finger prints).  Alcohol is the second most universal solvent and cuts grease, oil, etc., and typically finger prints.

And then there's the contaminants in the water issue as pointed out by Kolenka :)  Similar to letting tap water dry on your car's exterior after washing it.  However, that shouldn't be a issue if the screen is wiped completely dry with a non-scratching cloth.

I use the same microfiber cloth that I use for my iPad, iPhone, and corrective lenses, with a light amount of solution sprayed onto cloth, not onto the screen. The solution is something my optician provided me as safe to use with anti-reflective coating.

This works effectively.