AVIC411.com

trying to figure out what this issue could be, help?

So here's the scoop:

I have the Z1 installed with bypass and everything seems to be working properly. I have not recieved a message telling me ANYTHING about a parking brake or VSS, or anything that would indicate an improper installment. Here is my question:

My rear view camera just displys a black screen. It switches over fine when I put the car in reverse, but it just displys a black screen that says "Warning: image may be in reverse" I have the same results when trying to view split screen, rear view mode. any idea what the problem could be? I have the cam hooked up to the yellow RCA video jack on the Z1 and it has constant power off of the red wire. any help would be appreciated. Once i have all of my issues resolved I will provide a complete writeup on my install, thanks to all who have helped, seriously...

side note: How do I know if VSS and bypass are correct?

I;m pretty sure the rear cam input is brown too. Activate your Aux video and see if you get a picture there. If you do, you are certainly using the wrong input.

The only other things might be:

• You forgot to connect the power/ground of the camera
    You connected to the video outputs

Edit: Page 17 of the installation manual shows that the rear camera input is a brown and attached to connector 2

okay, thanks for the tips guys, that seems to be the problem. SO I gues I'm pulling of my dash again to fix it.

Is there anyway that we can pinoint that the "brown" RCA is the problem and not power or ground?

Let's say the cam wasn't grounded right, what would happen?

let's say the cam wasn't powered right, what would happen?

I'm just trying to narrow it down so I can fix it once and have it be done..

thanks for the help so far guys

easiest way is to just turn on the aux and see if the camera works, if it does then you plugged it into the aux and not the brown which is labeled and is intended for the rear view camera. From talking with you I believe you didnt hook it to the brown... we didnt go over that I dont think. Shouldnt be too much work since its only 2 panels that are pretty easy to get to and take out. pull it and see..

also, a side note, make sure that the tiny 4 pin connector (WHITE) that the camera connects to along its wiring is good, I have heard of some people pulling it out, or even a pin or two out.

I know some of this has been said before, but....

okay, thanks for the tips guys, that seems to be the problem. SO I gues I'm pulling of my dash again to fix it.

Is there anyway that we can pinpoint that the "brown" RCA is the problem and not power or ground?

Enable the Aux in and then switch to an aux input, is the camera picture shown there? You don't even have to take the dash apart for this.

Let's say the cam wasn't grounded right, what would happen?

Black screen.

let's say the cam wasn't powered right, what would happen?

Black screen

I'm just trying to narrow it down so I can fix it once and have it be done..

thanks for the help so far guys

The only way to tell without taking the dash apart is to switch to the input you think the camera is on. And if you are correct in that you did power it off the constant power (red wire) just select that input and see what it shows you. If it is the rear camera, just change the input on the back of the Z1 and you are good to go.

thanks guys.. that is key information.

Si I will simply try switching the input "aux" and see if I get the picture, if thats the case, then I just need to switch the RCa plug. IF I DON'T GET A PICTURE, then it must be something in my connection (either my red wire connection, which was quite touchy, or my ground)

That all makes perfect sense to me, thanks again guys

thanks Bobmun.... I sure hope thats not the deal... But I know for a fact that I have it hooked up improperly at this point with the Brown RCA cable.. Once I hook it up to brown THEN I might take that as an option...

Does anyone know of anyway, to test to see if my ground and my ACC on the rear view camera are hooked up right? those would be the only other possibilities

Do I need a tester? if so which one? and how do i do it?