AVIC411.com

Car Play Demoed Today at Media Event!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apple will tell you nothing.

Lol funny you say that because right after I called Pioneer I had called apple. They told me nothing. They were sorry they couldn't tell me anything but as the lady explained on the phone, it wasn't that she was withholding info. It was that they hadn't told her anything. She explained that sometimes they find out about when something is launching at the same time everyone else does. 

And she's telling you the truth. No one that anyone here could get on the phone will know anything. The people that know at Apple you will never get on the phone.

Yep, And to the people saying they may be keeping it because it's still buggy, my only thought to that is apple was proudly showing off Pioneer's head unit at WWDC. I think they are holding it until the first consumer car has it. So the aftermarket isn't the first face of carplay out the door. 

... I think they are holding it until the first consumer car has it. So the aftermarket isn't the first face of carplay out the door. 

Nailed it.  I guess I didn't realized that none of the Carplay cars were available yet.  That's totally the reason!  So... anybody know when they are to be released?

Yep, And to the people saying they may be keeping it because it's still buggy, my only thought to that is apple was proudly showing off Pioneer's head unit at WWDC. I think they are holding it until the first consumer car has it. So the aftermarket isn't the first face of carplay out the door. 

Nailed it.  I guess I didn't realized that none of the Carplay cars were available yet.  That's totally the reason!  So... anybody know when they are to be released?

Why would they care whether or not OEM CarPlay was released first as opposed to aftermarket?  If anything, we'd be first on purpose to serve as the guinea pigs.  We'd potentially save them from a rollout-gone-wrong faceplant with Honda or Hyundai, because our vehicles didn't have "OEM integration".  The first one or two CarPlay firmware patches (if even necessary) would be based upon our lessons learned, and the OEM applications would get a more robust introduction as a result.

Let's say you ARE right.  Then they'll be 2015 MY releases from the OEM's and all of us can forget about "summer" for our firmware updates.

Thats not the reason. And stop asking for a release date because you're never going to get one.

Wait, Apple is proudly showing off all sorts of buggy stuff at WWDC. The audience is mostly developers (and press there for the keynote), where you can actually demo that sort of stuff without the audience going nuts when there's a bug. "Demo-ready" has never meant "ready to ship" during my time in the industry. 

Here's a tip. Want to see the Carplay app icon on your iPhone 5/c/s? It's hiding out at Settings/General/Restrictions. Haven't found it anywhere else.

Huh, you can restrict CarPlay use with specific devices. Nice touch. But since it is supposed to be automatic, I'm not terribly surprised that it isn't anywhere else.

I really don't think car manufactures are that focused on CarPlay to make that a priority in their marketing.

I don't agree. Maybe they don't fully understand it yet, but with the exception of Honda, every one of the carplay partners that are slated for 2014 have shown off their rigs running carplay at the last auto show. 

Ferrari have even launched a press release saying the first carplay cars will be rolling out of the factory "in the coming weeks"

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/news-events/news/touch-ferrari-apple-world-wide-developers-conference/

• 2 weeks later...