AVIC411.com

SD compatability?

The 64g I have was originally for a cell phone. I haven't had any issues as I said but tickerguy says either I'm lucky or a problem waiting to happen. I also want to do a 128g and format it from exfat to fat but its a $$$$ gamble I'm not willing to take just  yet. I'd like to know how it works out for you in a few months especially if you do a lot of rewrites to it. I haven't had any problems yet unless my MIXTRAX issue is because of the card. I had my computer analyze my music and tried to fill the card, which took overnight, and only a few albums were transferred even though the MIXTRAX program said my card was full. I had to  copy and paste what I wanted to get it to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that the 4000-NEX does not dismount USB-attached drives when it goes to "sleep"; I get warnings when I pull my NTFS-formatted SSD out of the car and plug it back into my computer.  It hasn't resulted in a trashed format yet but if it also mounts SD cards the same way one that has been reformatted from exFAT to FAT is just a matter of time (assuming it's updating access times or similar) before it goes "boom."

The 128gb card from my camera returned an immediate "Incompatible card" message when I tried to insert it.

I got the 64gb card and copied 30gigs on it and its NOT working in the sd slot, states incompatable card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inserted into usb two with the reader that came with it and its reading might take awhile it took about 12 hours to write 30 gigs

I got the 64gb card and copied 30gigs on it and its NOT working in the sd slot, states incompatable card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inserted into usb two with the reader that came with it and its reading might take awhile it took about 12 hours to write 30 gigs

12 hours to write 30 gig is way too long with today's pcs. I filled 2 32 gig cards one music and one with movies in about 2 hours on a 4 year old hp laptop. Not the best laptop either.

Some people are having positive results with 64gig sd cards even though they are truly not SDHC. I believe in another post someone said it world

S but after time or when you go to rewrite to it, that's when you can lose or corrupt your data when forcing it to work as a SDHC card.

Others are just using 32 gig SDHC and not having issues at all.

There are NO SDHC 64Gb (or 128Gb) cards.  They are all SD/XC.

If you reformat one from exFAT to either NTFS or FAT32 it may appear to work normally but it will eventually get corrupted.  That's virtually assured.  It may be destroyed too at the same time although most (but not all) of the time you can reformat it back to exFAT and it will be ok.

These head units don't know how to deal with SD/XC cards.  Trying to cheat is begging to have your data on the card disappear without warning.  Use a 32Gb SD/HC (or smaller) card and all will be well. If you want more storage than that get a SSD and stick it in a USB enclosure, plugging that into the USB port on the unit.  Those can be formatted either NTFS or FAT32 and will work fine (NTFS required over 100Gb.)  Watch the power consumption; anything under 2 watts (with the enclosure) should be ok, so in practice ~1.5 watts for the disk is the limit.

Note that a spinning HDD will almost certainly exceed the power limit for a USB-attached device.

There are NO SDHC 64Gb (or 128Gb) cards.  They are all SD/XC.

If you reformat one from exFAT to either NTFS or FAT32 it may appear to work normally but it will eventually get corrupted.  That's virtually assured.  It may be destroyed too at the same time although most (but not all) of the time you can reformat it back to exFAT and it will be ok.

These head units don't know how to deal with SD/XC cards.  Trying to cheat is begging to have your data on the card disappear without warning.  Use a 32Gb SD/HC (or smaller) card and all will be well. If you want more storage than that get a SSD and stick it in a USB enclosure, plugging that into the USB port on the unit.  Those can be formatted either NTFS or FAT32 and will work fine (NTFS required over 100Gb.)  Watch the power consumption; anything under 2 watts (with the enclosure) should be ok, so in practice ~1.5 watts for the disk is the limit.

Note that a spinning HDD will almost certainly exceed the power limit for a USB-attached device.

Ya, that's who said it in another post lol, I couldn't remember. Great job tic

The card is totally toast it now after a reformat its down to 995KB I kid you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I did get a full refund and didnt have to send it back to I basically got a free micro sd adapter and sd usb reader. Ill by a name brand 32gb card and be done with it. Thanks for the great posts

• 1 year later...

The NEX support NTFS, formatting SDXC cards in NTFS should not be a problem at all, being a part time photographer I have several SDXC cards have been rewritten hundreds of times for photography purpose and camcorder over the last few years without any corruption or ill effect.  If your SDXC card died it's most likely due to defects, which could also happen to CF card, USB flash drive, or any other portable storage devices.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a 1TB buffalo portable hard drive in USB 1 (albeit its only 500gb usable) but it works fine for music photo and video files. No issues whatsoever on the 8100 it reads fairly fast to for the initial load time. The avics seem to like either fat32 or ntfs file systems only!! Hint hint....