AVIC411.com

List of storage media devices that have been proven to work on NEX units

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

120Gb SSD, OCZ Vertex II in a USB-3 external case.  Formatting in both NTFS and FAT work, but I run FAT because I can sort FAT directory trees (for FILE ordering) but not NTFS ones and the head is too dumb to do it on its own.

32GB SD cards (several) work fine (FAT32 formatted.)  NONE of my exFAT cards (64GB+) work as exFAT is not supported.

120Gb SSD, OCZ Vertex II in a USB-3 external case.  Formatting in both NTFS and FAT work, but I run FAT because I can sort FAT directory trees (for FILE ordering) but not NTFS ones and the head is too dumb to do it on its own.

32GB SD cards (several) work fine (FAT32 formatted.)  NONE of my exFAT cards (64GB+) work as exFAT is not supported.

where are you hooking 120Gb SSD, OCZ Vertex II in a USB-3 external case ? On USB 1? what do you have on drive? Music or video or both?

I am using Samsung 840 EVO SSD in generic usb 2.0 enclosure with 200+ ripped dvd movies, currently in usb2, USB1 is free waiting for CarPlay, or i will use it for pandora, 32gb of music in sd slot. I started out with 80gb intel x-25m ssd, and 160 gb intel x-25m, that i had lying around. I needed more gb for movies so i got the 250 and am happy with it. I am using the 160 gb ssd, for my music library, but the 32 gb has my favorites so i rarely use the ssd.  All have worked flawlessly on my 4000nex. 

I went to a dealer and was successful with a 64GB flash drive formatted to FAT32 on the 4000.  A 500GB FAT32 external hard drive (non-SSD) was recognized, but when it began to scan the drive, it gave an error, on both the 4000 & 5000.  I'm going to try it with NTFS soon.  If that fails, I'll have to pony up for a similarly sized SSD + external enclosure.  Pushing up against the 15,000 file / 1,500 folder limit with FLAC files means 373GB of used storage with the music I chose.  My goal is to get as much of the 1.1TB of music on the computer as possible into the car, so hopefully I'll be able to get most of it (700-800GB) on the two USB ports.  I also hope the file/folder limitations increase in the future; it would be great to have a pair of 2TB drives attached!

I can't imagine them not working smoothy, I saw Best Buy had128 gb usb flash drive on sale Sandisk for 59.99. 

It's a 2.0 which would take a while to populate but it'll get most of my content on there. Plus i can shrink vid content since 420 is the max screen res

where are you hooking 120Gb SSD, OCZ Vertex II in a USB-3 external case ? On USB 1? what do you have on drive? Music or video or both?

Works on both USB1 and 2.  I am currently on 2 with "1" wired into my center console for other purposes.

Note that a rotating media drive will likely NOT work reliably and may not work at all due to power consumption problems (it draws more than the head unit can reliably deliver.)  Most SSDs (watch the specs!) require much less power and will function fine; if you want to use spinning rust you need to supply external power to the enclosure beyond the USB port itself.

Both music and video are on the drive.  Flawless.

Some have said they work, some have said not. 32GB is the max "supported" capacity as only SDHC is and SDXC isn't.

I emailed Pioneer about this and they said 32GB is the max for the SD slot.  I'm already happy about getting an extra 32GB, but if it can actually go larger, that's even better.

for the thumb drive though... the 128 might be good.. what i hate is taht on FAT32 it will only allow each file to be but so large but i guess it's not a big deal because it can only support a max of 420p resolution... but i just don't want to compress all the vid content i have. Oh well. At least when i do that i can fit way more vids on there.