AVIC411.com

be sure and get a large enough ssd to hold your library, I got a 480gb intel ssd for 167.00 on Ebay Auction. You can use iTunes to rip all your cd's, i would recommend ripping at highest bitrate for best quality music. You can find a cheap inclosure for your ssd, i recommend format in fat32, so your head unit will categorize properly. If you use iPhone with your head unit, plug ssd into usb2. I use ssd for ripped dvd's, and sdcard for music, I have over 20000 songs but only put about 3000 on my 32gb sd card. 

All that is Chinese to me..

I will try to explain,

If you have a computer with a cd drive, go to www.apple.com and download latest itunes. start itunes and click edit, go down to preferences and click it. under general tab, look down and set when you insert cd to: import cd. click on import settings and under click settings and click custom, set to 320 kps. Now go to Advanced and click it, Under itunes media folder location, see where your library will be kept and copy that information down, so you will know where your songs are going to be.  Now you are ready to insert a cd, itunes will automatically rip(record the cd in digital form) to your computer. It will take some time but you can rip all your cds. It usually takes a few minutes per cd.

Once your library is in digital form, you are ready to copy them to your choice of media, whether it is sdcard(nex officially will support to 32gb), ssd(solid state drive) or usb flash drive. 

solid state drive will be in the form of 2.5" laptop size, what ever gb size you need. I would suggest ripping all your cds first and then you will know what size drive to purchase.

Ripping cds is a good practice, if you loose a cd, scratch a cd or whatever, you will still have all the music.

Your nex will accept and play from sdcard, usb flash drive, or solid state drive. Solid state drive will have to be put into an enclosure, made to house 2.5" drive and will connect to your nex via usb cord, to usb1 or usb2.

usb flash drive will connect to usb1 or usb2.

sdcard will go into sdcard slot.

I would purchase solid state drive and enclosure off the internet, whether it is ebay, amazon, or do a search and find the best price.You normally cannot find these in Best Buy, and if you do, you will pay a premium price.

Do not purchase a sdcard unless it says SDHC, NOT SDXC. SDHC will be formatted in fat32 form which nex will read.

With a Solid state drive, it will hook up to your usb port on computer, and i recommend formatting to fat32 over htfs, this way your nex will categorize your music correctly. With your drive hooked up to computer you can now copy your library to your drive. 

(note: for a sdcard, your computer must have a sdcard reader)

If you do not understand any of the above terms, google them and you will be enlightened. or you can pm me.

To add (or contradict, your choice :)) joemamma's info, I recommend you import (aka rip) your CD's in lossless format (i.e. no loss in audio quality).  You can always convert to a lower bit-rate, lossy format (i.e. diminished audio quality compared to original) ... or another lossless format.  But if you rip to a lossy format, you can never recover the audio quality short of re-ripping your CD's to a lossless format.

The two most popular lossless formats are Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) and Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC).

Ripping to and playback of ALAC (uses *.m4a extension just like AAC encoding) is supported by iTunes and is fine for Apple portable devices, but typically not compatible with other makes.

Ripping to FLAC is not supported by iTunes, but playback is supported by the Pioneer NEX head units.  To rip your CD's to FLAC you will need a different ripping program, such as MediaMonkey (there are many others, your choice).

Basicly the answer you need is , NO they don't support the external CD drives.

What they are trying to tell you is that it's better to put your CDs on a computer (iTunes etc...) and then put those on an External drive.  A HD is a platter spinning, an SSD is just chips designed to act like a HD but it's faster and less heat. BUT they are not as inexpensive as a HD.

It might even be better in the long run to buy and IPOD (Touch (preferred) or Classic (more storage but not as fast)) and go that route so that the Head Unit (HU) can deal with it better.

My reason for ssd over iPod, is storage vs price. Largest iPod i can see is 160 gb, and cost is the same or more than the 240gb samsung ssd or the 480gb intel ssd, i have purchased in the last two months. I am not against Apple, my household has two macs, 4 iPhone 5s, 2 apple tv, Apple airport extreme 2tb router, apple airport extreme setup as a network extender for downstairs. 

I understand I have an 8g iPod now nano,and a 64 gig ipad also just like the way the iPad gives u access to the music,I see that these units support blue tooth so I think I can use this to wirelessly stream music to the head unit ..once I upgrade my avicz2..I always have the option to stream justice through my 360.3 but I wasn't to crazy on how I had to do it

I have the 32G ipod touch, and it currently has over 4000 songs on it plus a couple movies..... that is enough for me....  8)

I think any novice should go the IPOD way because of simplicity of use for getting songs in it, for the others who are more computer savvy then it's up to them.  I"m computer savvy but I like using my ipod.  8)

I have 105 CD's in lossless on a 128GB flash drive. Works for me if I want high quality tunes. 256kbps is also very good if using iPod/iPhone. 

iPod is truly the simplest way to go. Even get an iPod classic which can get up to 160GB's. Run a usb to your glove compartment and leave it in there if you just want music. 

• 3 weeks later...