AVIC411.com

Apple or Android

I am up for upgrade(phone) and have a decision to make. Iphone6 or Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport. I am waiting for 2 things to come to pass, before i make it. CarPlay and of course iphone 6. I am tempted to go android, even tho i already have apple av adapter, and purchased all the pay apps for appradio. The Galaxy S5, supports up to 128 gb microusb, in addition to 16 gb on board, 2 gb ram, quad core cpu. (All this right up my alley)

I would like to hear any experience with android users good or bad or whatever.

The next iPhone will have 128gb and they are already have a quad core. With the new sizes is becomes more a matter of ecosystem and who you want to do business with. Those already invested in iOS would be hard pressed to move to android, unless it offered a feature that was killer. For me, as an iPhone user, android does not appeal to me because of the investment I have in other iOS products. But, if I were to go for an android phone, I would most likely go with an Nexus (pure android without a crappy shell). I would never do business with Samsung, simply because I do not like the way they run their business and their current management.

But, I feel that the iPhones are better made, safer to use (less possible threats from malicious apps) and more well thought out. They are not loaded with crap apps or a shell on tops of another OS. Plus, I know that whatever iPhone I buy will be supported by almost anything. Because of fragmentation on the android platform (hardware and software) there is no gauarentee that the phone with work with products like the pioneer NEX.

Honestly for me the features that matter are identical across the platforms and iPhones have far superior build quality. If I really wanted to store all my music on a drive I would just plug one into my NEX. iTunes in the cloud lets me get to my library as long as I have Internet which I always have. So as such my drive capacity matters little.

In that same sense with ios 8 my photos and videos will be accessible in the same way from the cloud so I have even less reason to care about my phone capacity.

As far as android vs iPhone.

Android you have to work harder to clean out the bloatware and you have to worry about your personal privacy a lot more than on an iPhone, but it is still true that if you put the work in the phone can still do more than an iPhone can.

So the question you should ask yourself is, are the deficiencies of the android platform outweighed by any perceived advantages? Do you normally jailbreak your iPhone? Do you like to tinker?

If you truly want to customize every aspect of your phone go android. I prefer that my phone is two years old and still works as fast as the day I got it.

I appreciate your comments, guys. I also have been impressed with appradio unchained, and that is one of the reasons for my interest. I have plenty of experience with both platforms. I have rooted android phones, and jailbroken my iphones. I have 480gb solid state drive with over 200 ripped dvd's, and about 2000 songs ripped in flac, also a 32 gb sdcard filled with songs ripped in mp3 format, so the size of the phones rom is not a real factor. I like the idea of microusb on the android,(i own a 64gb samsung high speed microusb made for cameras and phone). The biggest downer with apple is the cost of everything. If the iphone 6, with 128gb is 500.00 dollars, i will not purchase it. With storage as cheap as it is, it is absurd to charge 300 more. The s5 also has 2gb of ram, compared to 1gb for the 5s(rumor mill has the iphone 6 will 2gb also) Time will tell. I really want a phone that will plug into my nex and can be totally controlled by the head unit. If carplay, will let me control more than my music, navi and phone calls, that would be a start. Hopefully Apple will eventually allow all types of apps to be controlled in Carplay. I guess a couple of more weeks of waiting for Apple cant hurt anything. 

The next iPhone will have 128gb and they are already have a quad core. With the new sizes is becomes more a matter of ecosystem and who you want to do business with. Those already invested in iOS would be hard pressed to move to android, unless it offered a feature that was killer. For me, as an iPhone user, android does not appeal to me because of the investment I have in other iOS products. But, if I were to go for an android phone, I would most likely go with an Nexus (pure android without a crappy shell). I would never do business with Samsung, simply because I do not like the way they run their business and their current management.

But, I feel that the iPhones are better made, safer to use (less possible threats from malicious apps) and more well thought out. They are not loaded with crap apps or a shell on tops of another OS. Plus, I know that whatever iPhone I buy will be supported by almost anything. Because of fragmentation on the android platform (hardware and software) there is no gauarentee that the phone with work with products like the pioneer NEX.

The 64-bit A7 chip used in the iPhone 5s is ‘only’ dual-core, rather than the quad-core most had assumed, according to chip review site AnandTech - and Apple uses the APL0698 variant of the A7 chip in the iPhone 5S and the second-generation iPad Mini.[21] This A7 is manufactured by Samsung, just saying.

The 64-bit A7 chip used in the [/size]iPhone 5s is ‘only’ dual-core, rather than the quad-core most had assumed, according to chip review site [/size]AnandTech - and it has the same 1GB RAM as the iPhone 5. But no need to feel short-changed: the review concludes that dual-core is the optimum solution at present, and that real-life performance is better than anything else on the market.[/size]

It's not about specs, but about design. How well the components fit togther for the need is what really matters. The higher the amount of RAM, the bigger the hit in CPU usage and battery drain. Is is more important to multitask on a phone, or to give great performance and battery life? Do you design a phone architecture based on the 5% who use their phone like a miniature laptop, or for those who use the phone as an extention of their current digital space?

...Do you design a phone architecture based on the 5% who use their phone like a miniature laptop, or for those who use the phone as an extention of their current digital space?

That's a paradox in itself.  There's only 5% that use their phone like a miniature laptop because the other 95% aren't capable... the latter being an assessment of the user-phone pairing.

When they truly make all phones as capable as laptops currently are, we'll see how that changes.... :)

I understand what you are saying, and am not disagreeing with you. I had android phones for several years and now have had iPhones for several years. I personally have never had either to break or malfunction. I am 60 years old and i am in the 5% that does use their phone like a laptop. In my opinion, they both have their pros and cons. Apples biggest con for me is the price of everything. More than likely i will get the iPhone 6, as long as it does have the bigger screen, and CarPlay comes to us in the next millennium.

Apple hardware is top notch, there is no denying that.  I'm in the visual communications field, so I have extensive use of Mac OSX computers daily and I truly do love working on them.  I have an iPad 3 at home which is nice for my wife to play games on but other than that it gets used very little.

Primarily because I am an Android user!  I think more and more people are becoming "power" users because of how powerful these devices have become and how "plugged in" society has become for seemingly everyone.  To me, Android simply affords to many benefits over iOS at a much lower price point.  

• 3 weeks later...

I went with iphone 6, and am glad i did not get iphone 6+. After seeing the bent iphone 6+ phones, from being in peoples pocket. I got the 64gb, and Sprint bought back my 5s, for 353.00. Works great with my 4000nex. Now waiting for my mount to get shipped.

i have the 6 as well. But I think the 6+ stories are a bit overblown. The Internet does that. One story turns into 100 blogs that turns into millions of hits. Apple responded today saying that they know of only 9 cases of bent iPhone 6+ phones, and under normal use, they should be fine. They said they performed stress tests and have reinforcements along the sides of the phone. Another case of things exploding on the net way past the reality of the situation. Go back and look at the blogs and you will notice the same three pictures In each one of them.