AVIC411.com

My D3 Install With Lots Of Pics And A Review!!!

Oooh there she is!

2sa13ed.jpg

Well first step is to take the radio out...best buy wanted to charge me $50 bucks to do it and I said screw that and went to the dealer where they did it for free!!

2epskde.jpg

Radio fully removed with the Metra 9003 wiring harness

2vdqtxu.jpg

I tapped into the 75X with my accesory wire from the harness and off the headunit and then ran a power wire from the 30 terminal to the yellow wire on the harness and headunit.

2mzmutj.jpg

here is the screen installed

40pbnte.jpg

48p4jfb.jpg

There is no dash kit for the car so I had to cut out part of the rear cage so all of the wires would fit...You also have to modify the trim ring that pioneer provides with the unit by cutting down each side about a cm or 2.

I also used cardboard to hold the unit in place...I just tucked it on all 4 sides and it holds it in great!

Here is a night view with no trim ring(notice the cardboard)

4hlutdu.jpg

Back side of the sub setup...yes I use a capacitor flame me!

43es4rk.jpg

Front shot

4832hdg.jpg

My overall impressions of the D3 is all I can say is WOW!!! This thing freaking rocks! If you have an ipod get the interface as it is by far the best one out there no doubt. It's pretty much like having your ipod on the screen. The color changing capability is also wicked! You can custom make your own color or just choose a preset one. The navigation is great...It took a bit to get used to but I'm already loving the points of interest. I moutned the antenna on the rear deck lid and it gets a great signal. You do have to have the disc in for planning your route but you can take it out after if you want to watch a dvd or pop in a cd...with the ipod though your golden as you can still see which song your switching to with the navigation map still on the screen. You will be driving along listening to ur song and ur song will tone down on volume and the voice will tell you turn left turn right etc...then your music will start playin again. The monsoon speakers actually sound incredible with this headunit...I had infinity references that were amped in my last car and they are very close as far as sound quality. I highly highly reccomend this to anybody as it is an incredible unit with all of the right features for a reasonable price!!!

Ipod Interface Screen Shots the other cool thing is it allows you to choose if you want to operate the Ipod through the ipod or through the screen!!!

2d933x2.jpg

302njvn.jpg

3zqxw7k.jpg

Also to bypass the unit which I did follow this example and ground the mute wire and the parking brake wire and your golden.

47twzgg.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice job on the install... Great thorough pics to go with it, that will surely help a few people with their D3 install....

I already have my first complaint of the new D3 unit though...

it sits uneven!! The left side of the unit is wider than the right because of the rotary knobs (which is nice, but not worth an asymetrical unit to me).

Just an obvious observation that stuck out when i saw it installed in a car for the first time, everything else looks bad-ass about the unit

hey what about the one dvd situation, how are you dealing with that? is it even noticeable with the ipod hookup or what?

EDIT: forgot to mention, your install looks great! my amps and sub look that messy as well though :D

My advice. Zipties. They work wonders at cleaning up wires.

hey what about the one dvd situation, how are you dealing with that? is it even noticeable with the ipod hookup or what?

EDIT: forgot to mention, your install looks great! my amps and sub look that messy as well though :D

My advice. Zipties. They work wonders at cleaning up wires.

Z..zzz..zip..ppp.. zupties? zip tieds? what is this word you speak of? do they involve more work? lol :D

great job...looks very pro.

How long did it take you?

Only after reading your review, I got aware of the fact that you can't use the navigation without the Nav. DVD. Is that correct?

Doesn't that make the navigation slower or something?

I did it myself...I did not add bluetooth or sirius yet...