AVIC411.com

So I contacted pioneer because I noticed the Alipne iLX-007 head unit was Car Play (wifi ready)

This is what I was told it is.

CarPlay WiFi is something apple is working on and has not been released as
of yet,
and it allows your iPhone connection of CarPlay to be wireless.

More information has to be released from Apple to see if update will be
compatible
with AVIC-8000NEX.

Mike
Customer Service Representative

My question is, will this come to the 8000nex, this could be a deal breaker for me, I would love love love for car play to work without having to plug in my phone..

If anyone has more info I would love to hear about it.

Not sure how they could bring that to the current NEX line if it has to be WiFi as the NEX radios don't have WiFi. If it could be used over Bluetooth, which I doubt, then the current NEX radios could possibly be updated to work. My feeling is that Pioneer will not put any more effort into the current NEX radios and will only put development effort into the next generation of NEX radios.

I too have thought this would be the differentiator between the current generation and the NEXt generation of AVIC's. Wifi will enable lots of features, and basically put AVIC's on feature parity with a tablet device.

I can imagine the power draw of active wifi combined with the fact that you dont have it plugged into power, to drain your phone significantly while on small to medium trips. If it would add (and I bet it will) the ability to stream video via AirPlay, then it could be worth it in a couple of years.

I would personally find it useful not to have to plug it in if I'm in a rush and just want it to work.

I think it's a great idea personally, I just hope they make the update capable of working on the 8000nex because I love the radio ever since the latest car play update.

For me, it's worth the extra couple of seconds to plug in the phone so I know that I can arrive at my destination with a full charge. I would think that any kind of wireless operation of CarPlay would drain your phone's battery pretty quickly. Are there other benefits to Wi-Fi operation that I'm not thinking of?

Convenience basicaly, If you forget to plug in your phone while driving and you get a text or a call etc.

Carplay will already be on, keeps things safer, I just think CarPlay wifi is a great idea.

If it will only come in next years NEX, then my 8000nex might be up for grabs right before they release a new one.

Would be nice to have. I don't know about anyone else, but really, I'd like them to focus on the whole thing being less buggy and delivering on previous promises first. It's annoying that something like traffic information doesn't seem to yet be available, but my system from over five years ago could provide it.