AVIC411.com

CarPlay vs. AppRadio Mode

Will Apple Car play work through the apple hdmi digital adapter?  To change between that and app radio mode do you go into setting and just change from hdmi to usb?   

apple hdmi digital adapter, only uses the lightning to usb cable for charging only. you have to hook up to usb1 as Don Montalvo stated, and change smartphone setting to usb. Not a seamless transition. Unfortunately, it is either CarPlay or AppRadio.

So basically for app radio mode you have to use the hdmi adapter and plug a lightning cable from that to usb 1.  

If you want to use car play you have to unplug that connection and plug a lightning cable directly into usb 1.

I was really hoping I could switch between the two interfaces but I guess not.

Thanks for the info.

So basically for app radio mode you have to use the hdmi adapter and plug a lightning cable from that to usb 1.  

If you want to use car play you have to unplug that connection and plug a lightning cable directly into usb 1.

I was really hoping I could switch between the two interfaces but I guess not.

Thanks for the info.

It doesn't matter which usb you use for Appradio mode. The usb cable is solely used for power. You could technically make a power source for your phone directly to the battery, and Appradio wouldn't even notice.

It doesn't matter which usb you use for Appradio mode. The usb cable is solely used for power. You could technically make a power source for your phone directly to the battery, and Appradio wouldn't even notice.

this is precisely how i have my digital adapter hooked up. The adapter is in my glove compartment along with the cigarette lighter i removed from my dash to install a usb plug that goes from usb1 to dash(initially setup for CarPlay). The cigarette lighter has a dual port usb charger in it and one goes to my hotspot and the other connects to the a/v adapter and i use lightning extension available to hook up to iPhone if i want to use app radio, and usb1 is available for whatever i feel like plugging into it. My truck came with two 12volt power supplies right beside each other(1 lighter, 1 power supply). So removing 1 was an easy move to glove compartment.

• 2 weeks later...

My Carplay audio only works for podcasts - won't play any other audio. I'm running iPhone6 with ios 8.1.1,  on an AVIC5000 NEX. Everything is  working for me except audio. If I bring up songs or playlists or artists, I can't select anything. Scrolls just fine, but there is no 'go' button or response.  

I heard from Pioneer that there is an ios8 problem, but from what I'm reading here on the forum you guys are able to play your itunes music on your hu's.  Any ideas why?

Veet

That's odd, veet.  I have a 5S with 8.1.1 and everything seems to work fine.  Are the songs that you're trying to play physically downloaded on your iPhone?  i.e. Maybe they are not physically downloaded (but accessible from the cloud) so the NEX lets you see them, but can't access them.  

Does Spotify work without issue?