AVIC411.com

NEX Cold Weather issues

The temperatures around here have just started dipping this low, and I have yet to experience this issue on the 8000. Not looking forward to it if it happens...is the entire unit unresponsive or just the screen? I can live without the screen during my morning commute as long as long as I have audio and can at least adjust the volume, etc.

This is a common issue with screens that are resistive in design.  When cold the plastic screen is stiff and wont return to shape after you have touched it so the system thinks you are continously pressing the button. And as others have noted, once warmed up, it works fine. I believe this will affect all models except the 8000. the screen in the 8000 is capacitive which is what most higher end phones have, like the iphones. given the screen is glass and relies on the conductivity of your finger(and not the pressure of the press),  i dont expect it to be affected by the cold.

I just installed a 7000 last weekend in my truck and then the temps took a dive into the single digits and I had the same problem.  I am swapping it for an 8k this week.  It was frustrating not being able to use the screen for about 10 minutes until there was enough warmth in the cab. 

Im in Minnesota and i press my whole hand on as much of the screen as possible to warm it up.  If you do that for like 30 seconds the screen will operate fine.  Really stupid that Pioneer didnt find this before they made these.  I have a nex4000 and am wondering why i keep buying Pioneer.  The other frustration is that even the quickest tap of the "home" button on the screen will activate siri nearly every time.  The list of frustrations goes on, but ill digress here....

• 1 month later...

Im in Minnesota and i press my whole hand on as much of the screen as possible to warm it up.  If you do that for like 30 seconds the screen will operate fine.  Really stupid that Pioneer didnt find this before they made these.  I have a nex4000 and am wondering why i keep buying Pioneer.  The other frustration is that even the quickest tap of the "home" button on the screen will activate siri nearly every time.  The list of frustrations goes on, but ill digress here....

I first had this issue happen to me last night even after it was warm in the car and head unit had warmed up still was un responsive thought I was gonna have to send it in to be repaired got frustrated because I realized if touch screen was unresponsive I'd have no way to detach face plate (NEX-4000) ended up figuring out that if you press and hold eject button for 3 seconds or so you will hear a beep and face plate will fold down without having to use touchscreen buttons, that allowed me to detach face and reattach and everything was fine so i would suggest that before you chalk it up as being unresponsive screen.