AVIC411.com

Adding RAM to D3?

uhh, yeah still is his server though. Bet the bill he pays say so.

No... i work for an IT department for a bank in TX. we host some of our services thru rackspace. believe me when i tell you we dont own anything but the data. The hardware is theirs and this is pretty much the standard when it comes to webhosting.

oh god, your going to split hairs? Dude it comes down to ITS JASONH's server. Period. This isnt YOUR site, My site, or even the web hosting companies site. ITS JASONH's. Thats the part you really need to understand. physical placement, brand name of the the server, and color of the screws dont matter.

ITs still HIS. His name is on the bill, He pays the bill.

http://whois.domaintools.com/avic411.com explains whos the site is, hence the server that runs it, and the information for which the site is stored.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/his explains the word 'his' as a pronoun

2. that or those belonging to him: His was the cleverest remark of all. I borrowed a tie of his.

physical possession means nothing, He can take the info/site and put on another hard drive/server/web host and guess what, its still his. So before you start playing word games, dont be an idiot. All intensive purposes, IT belongs to jasonH. In the unlikely event some government or judicial court wanted to contact the server owner/user for this site, guess what, that wouldnt be GoDaddy.com it be the server owner JasonH.

Hopefully this is clear enough for you, as this is clearly off topic from which the thread originally started from.

oh god, your going to split hairs? Dude it comes down to ITS JASONH's server. Period. This isnt YOUR site, My site, or even the web hosting companies site. ITS JASONH's. Thats the part you really need to understand. physical placement, brand name of the the server, and color of the screws dont matter.

ITs still HIS. His name is on the bill, He pays the bill.

http://whois.domaintools.com/avic411.com explains whos the site is, hence the server that runs it, and the information for which the site is stored.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/his explains the word 'his' as a pronoun

2. that or those belonging to him: His was the cleverest remark of all. I borrowed a tie of his.

physical possession means nothing, He can take the info/site and put on another hard drive/server/web host and guess what, its still his. So before you start playing word games, don't be an idiot. All intensive purposes, IT belongs to jasonH. In the unlikely event some government or judicial court wanted to contact the server owner/user for this site, guess what, that wouldnt be GoDaddy.com it be the server owner JasonH.

Hopefully this is clear enough for you, as this is clearly off topic from which the thread originally started from.

Wow... let me remind you (yes you... SIR) you started flaming my "figurative" (hyperbole) speech. I didn't mean Jason's server (physical equipment) and i wasn't pointing out at "Jason" directly. I meant those paying for hosting services, as i was just pointing out the fact that people just post crap just because they develop an itch in their left nut (as it might be your case) and others pay for that wasted bandwidth that adds up and some of us end up paying for to ISP's and thus leave people asking questions in the same shape or form they were before they were stupidly answered (such as yours). In other words. Don't waste other people's time and resources because you think you are cool and can crack jokes. wanna crack a joke? go to yomomma.com. otherwise, Mr. "bust-your-balls-just-because", stay on topic, be courteous, helpful, eloquent and informative or just simply zip-it...

now if you didn't understand that (Obviously you did not) why don't you ask.. "Sir what do you mean?" before you start blasting carelessly away?

and by asking hopefully, we don't run into the misfortune of people such as yourself, we can get solid answers to our questions. Just keep on moving and answering the questions you can. the ones you cannot leave for other people who might have an answer.

By the way did is not personal so before you start cracking the "Yo-momma" jokes, think about what I'm am saying for just one split second. Believe me when i tell you that good things happen when you use your brain. cool "Webster"?

-J

You know, you can back peddle all you want, but you said

ause of useless data stored in some poor smuck's server.
That isnt directed towards 'others' thats directed to a single person... aka smuck. So, saying you werent pointing out Jason directly, is clearly untrue. While I agree with your "people just post crap just because they develop an..." comment, it is clear that is not the only intention of your 5th post here. Consequently, I hope that my response to you right after that was clear to straighten up things for whom you were calling a smuck. That would have been the better time to back peddle and say sorry, poor choice of words cuz its clearly there as quoted above. And, he is paying for hosting services. So, are you still saying that he is the smuck or not? with your rambling 'figurative' speech, its still unclear.. especially to me because of the reasons you have given thus far, to whom the smuck comment was directed to.

You lost me on the joke part. What does cracking jokes and your further ramblings if not the first rambling post you did in this thread have to do with anything? Your first post in this thread consequently has been edited, long after it was originally posted. With that you have eliminated the ability to read what it was then, its now doctored to reflect a more on topic post, good job.

Just the same your pissing match is over. You have insulted JasonH in my eyes clearly, and very possibly others that have taken the time to read this... because after all it is HIS server, and he does pay a hosting bill which was what you said was required for whom this was directed to. Short of apologizing for those initial comments and the further ramblings that have taken over this thread, you sir, have been upgraded to 'idiot' status. No jokes. Honest truth there.

For the rest of the readers, sorry for my ramblings, I just see a need to out the idiots and flamers who want to insult without clear knowledge. Clearly poor choice of words have been used here today.

• 3 weeks later...

You wouldn't need 20gig on a thumbdrive to store map data. The DVD is not 20 gig. You can get 12gb thumb drives here:

http://www.pocketec.net/catalog.taf?f=mi&cat=tone&guid=27956820-A5DB-4635-81C6-57EFA09FD7C7

That should do the trick pretty nicely. I know the Garmin portables can use SD cards so why not?

*** found this too ***

http://www.pretec.com/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.Pretec/Products/%22News-Sept.%201%2C%202006%22

It appears that there are now several 16gb flash drives on the market. There is even one from Toshiba.

Even if you could attach a USB drive to the data bus tha tthe DVD works on, you'd have to install drivers for it. And even then, it's a good possibility that it would then disable the DVD rom.

No matter what, there isn't anything we can do to add RAM or any other type of storage space to this proprietary system.

I am so confused at the point of this thread... I'll do my best to piece it together.

1. No, it's not possible to add RAM to the D3.

2. The D3 uses NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory) This means that your data is kept even without power. This is very different from your standard off the shelf (volatile) RAM.

3. Even if you were to desolider the NVRAM and replace it with bigger NVRAM, I doubt the unit would behave any differently.

4. I don't know what this has to do with anything, but....I don't own the PHYSICAL server hardware (GoDaddy owns that), but I do in effect still own the server since it is provided to me on a lease, just as you would own a leased car.

I think that pretty much covers everything that was questionable.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh Jason..

Here is the deal. Is it posable to get all the data off the DVD and onto some sort of media? YES 100% yes it can be done.

Can I do it? Sure I know for a fact that I could do it.

Can you aford to do it? Likely no.. and I would not do it for free as it would most likely cost as much as 10 times the price of a new d3 to do it.

Its all a matter of the allmighty dollar.

More then likely you would have to reprogram the BIOS make new connections and/or do major modifactions to the PCB to get it to work.

Its not worth it. Just go buy an 80 gig Ipod video and use it.

• 1 year later...
You know, you can back peddle all you want, but you said
ause of useless data stored in some poor smuck's server.
That isnt directed towards 'others' thats directed to a single person... aka smuck. So' date=' saying you werent pointing out Jason directly, is clearly untrue. While I agree with your "people just post crap just because they develop an..." comment, it is clear that is not the [u']only[/u] intention of your 5th post here. Consequently, I hope that my response to you right after that was clear to straighten up things for whom you were calling a smuck. That would have been the better time to back peddle and say sorry, poor choice of words cuz its clearly there as quoted above. And, he is paying for hosting services. So, are you still saying that he is the smuck or not? with your rambling 'figurative' speech, its still unclear.. especially to me because of the reasons you have given thus far, to whom the smuck comment was directed to.

You lost me on the joke part. What does cracking jokes and your further ramblings if not the first rambling post you did in this thread have to do with anything? Your first post in this thread consequently has been edited, long after it was originally posted. With that you have eliminated the ability to read what it was then, its now doctored to reflect a more on topic post, good job.

Just the same your pissing match is over. You have insulted JasonH in my eyes clearly, and very possibly others that have taken the time to read this... because after all it is HIS server, and he does pay a hosting bill which was what you said was required for whom this was directed to. Short of apologizing for those initial comments and the further ramblings that have taken over this thread, you sir, have been upgraded to 'idiot' status. No jokes. Honest truth there.

For the rest of the readers, sorry for my ramblings, I just see a need to out the idiots and flamers who want to insult without clear knowledge. Clearly poor choice of words have been used here today.

Wow..... how did all this helped me or the original thread author to find out if his D3 is RAM upgradable? Honestly...! how...?

Honest man, for someone that is crying foul so loud about me insulting indirectly( and it was truly not intended that way) to others on some "figurative" speech, you sure have no problems insulting me...

Again this is a prime example of junk posting... i read all that just for you to say something that has been said before...

keep it simple, keep it clean and intelligent and keep it within the confines of what is being asked. How hard is that....? honestly...