AVIC411.com

Looking for good rear backup camera

I want a good flush mount rear backup color camera to mount "IN" the tailgate of my f250 in or under the handle. I plan to install this when my AVIC-Z2 comes in.

1-- Is a 1/3" ccd better than 1/4" ccd.

2-- Should I get infra red led's on it?

3-- Is 2 lux OK or do I need .2lux?

4-- Do I need automatic luminance control.

5-- Do I need reverse image?

I don't want to use a tag mount because the camera will be to low for my needs. If the answer is yes to all these questions, where can I get a camera like that?

Please Help!

Well I see you want a flush mount and not a plate cam, I use a plate cam on my SUV but I use these in the bed of my tow trucks. I have used the cheaper ones in the past but the hardened glass in this model is worth the extra $. If yours will be mounted out of harms way go with the cheaper one. If it is a work truck I would recommend this one, great picture day and night and extremely durable.

http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_rvcbcdm3a.cfm

Thanks for the information. looks like a big difference in price $900 or $111. The $900 is too high for me If I use the cheaper one do you think it will hold up in the tailgate of my truck. It will not get hit just movement from opening and closing the tailgate. If I drill a mounting hole in the tailgate just below the tailgate handle can the camera be adjusted to view the hitch and the road at the same time with only a 110 degree veiwing angle? I see the cheaper one only says water resistant and the $900 says water proof. Do you think that will be a moisture problem with the cheaper one?

Well I see you want a flush mount and not a plate cam, I use a plate cam on my SUV but I use these in the bed of my tow trucks. I have used the cheaper ones in the past but the hardened glass in this model is worth the extra $. If yours will be mounted out of harms way go with the cheaper one. If it is a work truck I would recommend this one, great picture day and night and extremely durable.

http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_rvcbcdm3a.cfm

I second that one. I am waiting for my new bumper to come and I will mount it in there. In the meantime, I have it on the inside behind the back window, works great in the daytime, but at night, the LED's reflect on the glass and it becomes useless.

The moral of this story, mounted outside and it will be great. :P

Thanks for the information. looks like a big difference in price $900 or $111. The $900 is too high for me If I use the cheaper one do you think it will hold up in the tailgate of my truck. It will not get hit just movement from opening and closing the tailgate. If I drill a mounting hole in the tailgate just below the tailgate handle can the camera be adjusted to view the hitch and the road at the same time with only a 110 degree veiwing angle? I see the cheaper one only says water resistant and the $900 says water proof. Do you think that will be a moisture problem with the cheaper one?

I think you misread the site $900 is for ten cameras. Yes it has adjustment rings.

I would assume that for "your needs" you mean watching a trailer? Because I installed a tag mounted license plate camera on my buddies 05 F250 and as a backup camera it's perfect, a very wide angle and it's just the right height. When you put a trailer on there, it's a bit low but not too bad. His trailers have low edges (motorcycle and quad trailer and towing) and it works pretty well, mainly cause the F250 is very high up as it is. If it was in a corvette or something it might be a bit low. His hitches have a good drop on them because even stock, the F250 sits very high up. I never took a picture of the rear view camera with his trailers attached....

Of course when you hook up a trailer, put your head at whatever level and see how low you can go. Only you know what you are doing. I can't see too much benefit of getting the camera up 2 more feet. Maybe 3, you can't get too much higher than that.

I'm not sure what your needs are and why that might not work, but they are much easier to install and I thought it worked very well in a F250. It was one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0093072441

The one bobmun posted other people have installed with decent luck, but I can't just bring myself to drill any holes in a vehicle of mine like that.

I'm not sure what your needs are and why that might not work, but they are much easier to install and I thought it worked very well in a F250. It was one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0093072441

The one bobmun posted other people have installed with decent luck, but I can't just bring myself to drill any holes in a vehicle of mine like that.

I use this model, but the black one, on my personal vehicle it is the Boyo VTL300. I am very pleased with it. I use different cameras on my tow trucks. I also would not drill holes in my vehicle to mount a camera.