AVIC411.com

How much of an inconvenience is the single DVD in the D3?

I really like the specs on this unit but a recent CNET review slammed the D3 because of the single DVD slot...is the design really that bad? Conjures up images of those old games like Riven (on 5 cds) that had to be loaded and unloaded every few minutes........now that the unit has been on the street for a few weeks are people finding this shortcoming that annoying or is the criticism overblown?

And, I know we are in the age of iPods and XM and all that, but I think I am going to hook up a CD changer to mine as well...

Which is why I posted this, http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5344...

I have my iPod for all my MP3s and videos and then the CD changer for all my disks...

Only time I should have to take my NAV disk out is if I am using a DVD video... And, I will probably use my iPod for that anyway...

Good luck,

Mark

I have had my D3 for 2+ weeks and I haven't taken the nav disk out yet. I primarily listen to Sirius/XM/and Ipod so its perfect for me. That idiot who wrote the Cnet review obviously doesn't know a whole lot about indash navi. Maybe he is into portables

+1

The D3 only has one CD/DVD slot!!! I've so busy enjoying my D3 that I haven't noticed. :roll:

Hmmm. If it had a 10 disc changer I'd still disappointed. My last system had a 6 disc, and I hated always opening the hatch, pulling the disc mag trying to choose only 6 disc's..... man those days are over me. They were cool 10 years ago. Don't miss the point ......Pioneer has delivered with the D3.

This has been the perfect time for me to retire my all CD's back to there jewel cases and go with the whole 80g/5thGen/ipod/Apple Lossless thing. It's all about the incredible access to my music. And I've been pleasantly surprised by the ipods direct connection sound quality. The ipod video support is an extra bonus.

So if I'm going to sit for 2 hours watching a DVD in the car, it's not really that big of a deal to take 10 seconds to change the disc. Otherwise the ipod video is quite decent. And if Apple allows for future video codex's with higher bit rates then we win again!

I could not be happier. 8)

How often do you drive places where you actually NEED the Nav disk? I spend 90% of my time driving to/from work and other local places that I know well. I know where the gas stations are, where the restaurants are, and multiple routes to get there.

The memory navi can also be set to remember an area around your current location, if no route is selected. If you're using the D3 during your normal commute, this should be all you need and the DVD slot is available for CDs/DVDs.

The east/west navi disk split is roughly around the Mississippi river, but the disks overlap considerably. You'll never have to swap the disks unless you plan a multi-state east/west roadtrip.

How often do you drive places where you actually NEED the Nav disk? I spend 90% of my time driving to/from work and other local places that I know well. I know where the gas stations are, where the restaurants are, and multiple routes to get there.

That's true I dig that it will store my AO. Ha ha, still how many guys here plot a route to Taco Bell, Starbucks, ect.

Fun stuff. :D