AVIC411.com

Question Regarding Night Mode on the Z1

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine installed at CarToys. They initailly didn't hook up the illumination wire at all. I took it back and they wanted to charge me $50 to hook it up. They said it was because of the way GM did the light control through the brain. After an hour of arguing they said they would hook it up. It now works with the headlight switch turned on but not when the automatic headlights come on.

I can hear the relay clicking when the headlight switch is turned on. So I'm going to listen to the clicking and find the relay... and then hopefully find the right wire to connect it properly.

I don't believe the installer really knows how to hook this up or I'd take it back again. I think I can figure it out easier than I can get them to.

Couldn't you tap in directly from the headlight? I don't know if the illumination wire can get too much power, though. One of the "install gods" on this forum probably has a better idea.

Yes, you probably could, unless you have HID's which have very high voltage after the module going to the headlights. But if you have regular incandescents (or halogens) the power wire to the head light is just +12. It doesn't matter if that line can supply 1mA or 30 amps, the avic will "get" as much power as it was designed to tell it that it's +12. All it needs is a voltage level (with the ability to deliver a very little amount of current) and any wire that goes between 0V and +12V will work for the ILL wire.