AVIC411.com

Has anybody installed the D3 in a Audi A4?

Hey dude-

I installed the D3 in my 04 A4 recently - there are some tips here that you will find useful. In addition to this you should know:

1. you will have to tap directly into a headlight lead to get the illumination to work - or use a workaround found here in the forum

2. if you buy the faceplate I did [search for a picture] you should cut off the ends of the tabs that lock it in place - if you don't you'll NEVER get it out again. In fact - the fit is extremely tight.

3. you WILL need an avic-d2 cage to do this install.

4. You can run the rear leads directly into the rear amp [most people say don't do this] and it will work and sound just fine - in fact it will sound AWESOME with a little fading and tweaking - the subwoofer will come alive

5. you should hold the antenna connection to the D3 with duct tape because it WILL come off during installation

6. with all said and done - you will love this unit in the car - it matches the lighting really nicely and rocks.

I installed the GPS sensor under the vent in the center of the dash [on top of the dash] and it works great.

Good luck !

If you have to do number 5 then the plug IS NOT plugged in all the way. The gps antenna plug locks into the avic. In fact it's a pain in the ass to remove.

Actaully - I'm talking about the AM.FM antenna. Audis and VW's have proprietary plugs which require an adapter - and they are notorious for not fitting tight.

Yes - the cage fits directly into the faceplate and the whole assembly slides right in....

• 1 month later...
Hey dude-

I installed the D3 in my 04 A4 recently - there are some tips here that you will find useful. In addition to this you should know:

1. you will have to tap directly into a headlight lead to get the illumination to work - or use a workaround found here in the forum

2. if you buy the faceplate I did [search for a picture] you should cut off the ends of the tabs that lock it in place - if you don't you'll NEVER get it out again. In fact - the fit is extremely tight.

3. you WILL need an avic-d2 cage to do this install.

4. You can run the rear leads directly into the rear amp [most people say don't do this] and it will work and sound just fine - in fact it will sound AWESOME with a little fading and tweaking - the subwoofer will come alive

5. you should hold the antenna connection to the D3 with duct tape because it WILL come off during installation

6. with all said and done - you will love this unit in the car - it matches the lighting really nicely and rocks.

I installed the GPS sensor under the vent in the center of the dash [on top of the dash] and it works great.

Good luck !

What year is your A4? If its an 06, is it possible to tap the VSS or do you need a CAN-BUS adapter?