AVIC411.com

How bad is the navigation software in the Z1????

It is no where near perfect but it is acceptable for me. Offset that with all the other features the Z1 offers and I love the unit as a whole.

For me in Oklahoma the unit is pretty dead on for small address's so far. The main problem I have had is the routing function is lacking not always picking the best route. Several times the unit has routed me out of the way instead of a more direct route. The routes it suggested are similar roads yet it wants me to detour one way or another instead of the most direct route.

Like I said all in all with the XM, bypass installed, HD capability, and etc. I love the unit and am extremely happy. I would love to upgrade to the Z2 maps but not at the expense of my bypass as of today.

I bought a Z1 because I loved the features of it, but I should have checked here first(I didn't know about this forum at the time).

I travel a LOT & a good NAV unit is very important to me. I am a long time experienced NAV user, & I can say in no uncertain terms that the Z1 was the biggest POS I have ever used as far as the NAV function is concerned(I have a $300 Garmin unit on my Harley that is 1000 times better than the Pioneer).

After the 2nd business trip I took with the Pioneer, I sold it on ebay & replaced it with an Eclipse unit which is superb. What really took the cake was when the Z1 told me to "make a legal U-Turn" & I was on a 4 lane divided highway at the time.

I still may switch back to a Pioneer if they ever get their act together(I really do like everything else about the Pioneers), but at this point the Pioneer NAV function is totally useless IMHO.

~John

I bought a Z1 because I loved the features of it, but I should have checked here first(I didn't know about this forum at the time).

I travel a LOT & a good NAV unit is very important to me. I am a long time experienced NAV user, & I can say in no uncertain terms that the Z1 was the biggest POS I have ever used as far as the NAV function is concerned(I have a $300 Garmin unit on my Harley that is 1000 times better than the Pioneer).

After the 2nd business trip I took with the Pioneer, I sold it on ebay & replaced it with an Eclipse unit which is superb. What really took the cake was when the Z1 told me to "make a legal U-Turn" & I was on a 4 lane divided highway at the time.

I still may switch back to a Pioneer if they ever get their act together(I really do like everything else about the Pioneers), but at this point the Pioneer NAV function is totally useless IMHO.

~John

Nice plug for Eclipse. While the Z1 is not perfect, I have never had an issue with it telling to perform an illegal maneuver. Are you sure it didn't say "Make a U-Turn IF POSSIBLE"?

Maybe you had a bad unit..... :roll:

Hello.

in Miami it works ok considering that this city is growing and new places are poppin up everywhere and new roads are being made. I really don't use the nav to much. I really got the unit for its Live Traffic Nav feature. I noticed that South Florida doesn't have the traffic flow sensors installed on its roads. I went to Tampa not to long ago and everything works up there. The system displays traffic flow, speed on highways and give good re-routes.

I say its a fair unit that needs many upgrades.

I was looking into the specs for the Z1 and Z2.... I rather keep the Z1, it has move features then Z2. I think its the same unit just different OS and a few chips that they noticed didn't work to well on the Z1.

IMO!

cheers

More features? Not so much. Tthey are exactly the same except for the software

I rather keep the Z1, it has move features then Z2. I think its the same unit just different OS and a few chips that they noticed didn't work to well on the Z1.

IMO!

cheers

More features? Not so much. Tthey are exactly the same except for the software

I rather keep the Z1, it has move features then Z2. I think its the same unit just different OS and a few chips that they noticed didn't work to well on the Z1.

IMO!

cheers

True that...go to the pioneer website and select/compare the 2 units. They are 99.9% identical. Frankly, I don't understand what the fuss about the Z2!!!

well like I posted on another thread here.

Same unit. maybe some of the chips and insternal hardware upgrades, it is the same unit with new improved software and nav maps. When the Z1 update comes out its just going to flash the unit to act like the Z2 with some exceptions notice the price diff on the pioneer site is 50$ cheaper.

I just think that they stopped the production of the Z1 to correct some of issues and remove the bypass for liability reasons.

Don't be surprized if the bypass on the Z2 will be a hidden button on the screen or by holding down a button for a bit of time.

Untill someone cracks it or someone leaks it.

we'll see I guess, I'm going to wait for sometime after the Z1 update comes out to make sure other users that installed it haven't had massive issues.

My unit works will, haven't had any problems with it for over a year. Well the XM-TrafficNav box acts up sometimes where it would display no connection or no attenta. but I restart the car and it works.

cheers.

only time will tell.

~John

I still carry a garmin in my car as backup as I explore my city alot looking for old missle sites and ababdon nasa and army bases. I wish the AVIC Z1 has a screen where you can input gps digits instead of address. the system would work alot better. I think with the new Piont Access Database it will help the Nav feature get up to places better since it uses a GPS cor insted of an address range.

I hope this feature comes in the upgrade pack for the Z1

Well, I have had the in-dash nav for an '05 Nissan Altima and an '06 Ford Explorer, and a Garmin StreetPilot 7200 and now the Avic Z1. The "best" navigation for me was the Garmin StreetPilot but it is not in-dash.

There are more POI's in the Z1 than in either the Ford or Nissan products.

There is no Lat/Long input for any unit I've had except the Garmin.

All-in-all, the Z1 is a respectable unit but it does lack a bit of "fine grain" control and accuracy. It will generally get you from point a to b safely. But, as others have said already, the map software is out-dated by as much as two years or more. (We have had one way roads changed to two way and vice versa about 2.5 years ago and they are incorrect on the Z1).

The Z1 can do it, IF it is given accurate software...