AVIC411.com

Install advice for Z1 and 2007 Sport Trac

Great forum, thanks to all who are involved!

I just ordered the Z1 and will be installing it in a 2007 Ford Explorer SPORT TRAC. I ordered the Z1, Ipod Adapter and Bluetooth Adapter.

How hard is the install, really? I have plenty of mechanical experience but not along the electronic lines. I have installed radios, speakers and stuff like that on top of years of auto repair and so on. Should I take it on myself? How much do you think a good auto audio installer would charge?

Anyone know what I will need for the install if I install it myself?
I assume I will need some wiring adapters and so on. Any info is greatly appreicated.
The '07 Sport Trac should be basically then sme as the 2006 Explorer.

While I'm poking around for info where do you guys get your wiring diagrams? Looking for one for the '07 Sport Trac.

THANKS!!
well i cant speak about the ford wiring, but i "think" that its not a double din, but this is just a guess. But i can tell you i live in baltimore maryland and i have a chevy silverado and the local authorized installer quoted me $950.00 to install the z1, the bluetooth adapter, ipod adapter, and gex 5700 tv tuner. i quickly decided to do it myself.
[quote name="03Vic-HPP"]look on crutchfield.com and it should tell you what wiring harness adaptor you need, if it is the 26pin ford one let me know I have an extra one that you can have for $10 shipped....[/quote]

I will be installing the Z1 in the same vehicle but since Hellmaster inquired about it first then he should have first dibs at your wiring harness adaptor. If he is not interested then I certainly am!

This is what Crutchfield has listed for the 2007 Ford Sport Trac:
Ford Wire Harness
receiver, 2003-up
Item #120705521

Since it does not mention a pin configuration do you know if this s the same one? What model did you initially purchase it for? With that info I can cross reference the part number to see if it the same.
[b]Hi Lil Red[/b], are you from the MySportTrac.com site? I am JohnnyB on that site, have been on it from the begining. I dont have my ST yet, If you have yours already and are in a hury to install then go ahead and take the harness from [b]03Vic-HPP[/b]. Are we sure its the correct one?

[b]silveradojeff[/b]
$950 to do the install? Thats f'in crazy. Looks like I'll be doing it myself too.
As for it not being a double din that is the 2001-2005 Sport Trac, they are a din and a half. The 2007 is a double din.

Thanks again for the info guys.
[quote name="hellmaster"][b]Hi Lil Red[/b], are you from the MySportTrac.com site? I am JohnnyB on that site, have been on it from the begining. I dont have my ST yet, If you have yours already and are in a hury to install then go ahead and take the harness from [b]03Vic-HPP[/b]. Are we sure its the correct one?

Yep, that's me... I'm not in a rush either, i've got a feeling we are both waiting on the Job2 Sport Trac's :wink:
At this point i'm not sure if this is the rite harness or not. The Crutchfield description does not reference the pin configuration but if [b]03Vic-HPP[/b] tells us what vehicle he originally purchased the harness for I will be able to determine if it is the correct one.
I was going to post this same thread in about a month or so. My ST is on order and will hopefully have it soon. Z1 will be my first project. Crutchfield does not have an install kit for it yet, but there is one for the F150 that a advisor told me should work. Will you guys be trying to get the steering wheel controls to work as well??? I think the '07b is actually larger than a Double Din.....

BTW---A1cntrler on the ST site :D
[quote name="03Vic-HPP"]Its for an 03 Ford Crown Vic, I ended up with two of them....[/quote]

Crutchfield.com indictes that the harness that 03Vic-HPP has [b]IS[/b] compatible with the 2007 Sport Trac that is [b]NOT[/b] equipped w/factory equiped subwoofer. The Sport Trac w/factory equipped sub woofer requires an additional harness that supports the use of a subwoofer amplifier. The Crutchfiled part number that I listed in my previous post comes with the same harness that Vic-HPP is selling + the subwoofer harness as well.

Hellmaster, this will work for you unless your ST will have the factory subwoofer in which you will need the additional small harness.
Frim what I see it is the same for the '03 Crown Vic, '07 ST, '06 Explorer & '06 F-150 - all with[b]out[/b] the subwoofer.

Ford Wire Harness: receiver, 2003-up: Item #120705520

How about some kind of trim kit?
Ford F150 Pickup Kit
2004-Up, Chassis size E

Item #120995807

[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pzwFq6HDayG/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120995807]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pzwFq6HDay ... =120995807[/url]
I just saw your post. I typed mine but stepped away from the computer before submitting it.

I am not getting the factory subwoofer. Since I was going to get the Z1 I just got the standard radio which I am pretty sure does not include the subwoofer. Are you getting the Subwoofer Lil Red?

Also what about the trim kit I listed will we need that?

If we need both items then the Shipping from crutchfield is $6.99. Thats not going to make or brake either of us. So if you want to get the harness fom him thats ok with me.

My main concern is that I have everything I need for installation and they are the correct parts. I dont want to have to return stuff and all that.
Hellmaster, see my comments in Red

[quote name="hellmaster"]I am not getting the factory subwoofer. Since I was going to get the Z1 I just got the standard radio which I am pretty sure does not include the subwoofer. Are you getting the Subwoofer Lil Red? [color=red]Not sure yet but leaning towards the subwoofer for the factory look. Go ahead and get the harness that he has but I appreciate the consideration.[/color]
Also what about the trim kit I listed will we need that? [color=red]I need to get that as well, who has that? Crutchfield?[/color]
If we need both items then the Shipping from crutchfield is $6.99. Thats not going to make or brake either of us. So if you want to get the harness fom him thats ok with me.

My main concern is that I have everything I need for installation and they are the correct parts. I dont want to have to return stuff and all that.[/quote]
I asked the sales advisor if that one is the one I needed for the '07 (trim kit) and he said it would only fit the F150... Looks like it will fit to me. Check on the ST site for a post by Pat Freeman--he has photos of how to remove the factory '07 radio in one of his posts and that looks like the correct mounting spots on the tabs in that kit..

The only thing that concerns me is that the factory HU in the ST looks larger than a DD radio. With the CD slot up above the HU, it looks so tall. Anyone agree?? Here is a link to the post on MYST.com: [url]http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=869788&REPLYCOUNT=6&sitename=mysporttrac[/url]