AVIC411.com

XM & Sirius Together???

Has anyone that has done this used the same antenna for both XM and Sirius? I know you need a different antenna for the GPS - that's a given - so I can live with two antennas on my roof, but hate to add a third. Seems like we should be able to use the same antenna for both the XM and Sirius signals.

The above assumption on my part is based upon the fact that the two signals are adjacent to one another (2320MHz - 2345MHz, with Sirius utilizing the lower half, and XM taking the upper half of the frequency spectrum) and I suspect that neither the XM nor Sirius antennas are designed to filter out the other signals (probably some roll-off where the other signal may be degraded, but I suspect under most circumstances the other signal will still be strong enough to work). Ideally I'd like to see the frequency response plots for various antennas to determine whether or not it will work, but that type of info is likely unavailable to the public.

Anyone tried this?

-Jeff

I have heard that the Sirius antenna works for both(and I've used them for both services)but the XM antenna has problems with Sirius signals. I don't know of a way to share the connection though? Is there some type of y adapter available? I did not put my gps antenna on the roof. It is installed on the dash and I checked the signal strength and it was more than 2/3rds everytime I checked it. I currently have the XM antenna on the dash but I plan to put it on the roof this weekend. I am using a Sirius antenna for both services. I am not sharing one antenna though.

I am using a Sirius antenna for both services. I am not sharing one antenna though.

So you are unplugging/plugging the single antenna from one receiver to the other each time you want to listen to the other service?

-Jeff

No, I have two antennas. They are both Sirius branded. I plan on installing the XM antenna that came with the XM tuner this weekend. I'll be installing it on the roof.

I am using a Sirius antenna for both services. I am not sharing one antenna though.

So you are unplugging/plugging the single antenna from one receiver to the other each time you want to listen to the other service?

-Jeff

No, I have two antennas. They are both Sirius branded. I plan on installing the XM antenna that came with the XM tuner this weekend. I'll be installing it on the roof.

Try removing one of the antennas instead and use the adapter I pointed out a few posts earlier . . . let me know if it works - if so, I'll do the same with my install . . . you get to be the Guinea pig . . . !

-Jeff

Looking at the pic and the info for that link it appears that this adapter is to allow using an antenna with dual outputs to go into one tuner, not one output into two tuners. The problem will be the wrong male/female connectivity.

I talked to my brother(he works for Sirius) about this just now. He basically confirmed that the antennas will work with each service but the Sirius has a better range. He also stated that the XM terrestrial signal will not perform as well when using a Sirius antenna. The other issue is that you will have to block DC from one of the tuners or both of them will try to power the antenna. Also, you will lose some antenna performance(DB) if you connect more than one unit. This may require an amplifier. It hardly seems worth it to me now.