AVIC411.com

Avic Z1 and 2003 Chevy Tahoe compatible...?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
Hello...I'm about ready to purchase the Z1 but had a few questions.
I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with the bose system. I know I need the GMOS4 adapter to be able to maintain the chimes, warning signals, and to use the current bose speaker/subwoofer setup. I was wondering what other adapters, other than the standard wiring harness, that I would need? For example, the steering wheel harness to use the steering wheel controls...any other adapters. Basically i want to be able to use all the normal functions that is stock on my truck.

Also, is this system fairly easy to install? I've installed numerous single din decks on civics, accords, and integras, but never any type of navi system/double din. Where can I find wiring diagrams and install guides for my 03 Tahoe?

Lastly...will this even fit my 2003 tahoe? Everyone I have asked has told me that my tahoe is a double din, but Im not sure...I've attached a pic of how which dash/console is in my tahoe. Thanks!

[/img]http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Chevrolet/100094062/024831-E.jpg
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Guest"]Hello...I'm about ready to purchase the Z1 but had a few questions.
I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with the bose system. I know I need the GMOS4 adapter to be able to maintain the chimes, warning signals, and to use the current bose speaker/subwoofer setup. I was wondering what other adapters, other than the standard wiring harness, that I would need? For example, the steering wheel harness to use the steering wheel controls...any other adapters. Basically i want to be able to use all the normal functions that is stock on my truck.

Also, is this system fairly easy to install? I've installed numerous single din decks on civics, accords, and integras, but never any type of navi system/double din. Where can I find wiring diagrams and install guides for my 03 Tahoe?

Lastly...will this even fit my 2003 tahoe? Everyone I have asked has told me that my tahoe is a double din, but Im not sure...I've attached a pic of how which dash/console is in my tahoe. Thanks!

[/img]http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Chevrolet/100094062/024831-E.jpg[/quote]

i might have done something wrong because i brought the gmos04 and it hooked to the factory harness the only problem is no rap or dimmer control with the headlights if figure this out please let me know. thanks
Ok, so is the GMOS4 adapter the correct one? Can anyone else chime in on any of my other questions? I'm hoping to install everything this weekend, but really want to make sure the Z1 is gonna fit and work in my Tahoe. Thanks everyone!
well i havent installed mine yet either but i have probobly spent 100 hours researching while waiting for shipment. I have an 04 silverado. alot of people ( including some of teh install shops around me said it would not fit!! I would have to cut and fiberglass and bla bla bla. THIS IS NOT TRUE. I DO have a double din opening in my truck. there are many pics posted on teh various forums out there with competed installs. All i have spoken to say this is actually pretty easy. so your gunna be all set. i think i have even seen some 03 tahoes or blazers with install pics in this forum. remember to take before during and after pics to post here. Good luck.[/url]
I was just looking at the pioneer website and the video they have for teh z1. they have a fitment tab where they list vehicles the unit fits. As i said earlier i have a chevy silverado, they dont have any chevys listed at all. But they do have the cadillac ext, its the same stupid truck. lol. oh well
Thanks silveradojeff. The image that I originally tried to put in my first post didn't show up, but does your silverado have them same console setup? That's how my console is, yet people keep telling me that they find it weird that that is the console I have in an 03 tahoe. Other than the GMOS4, what other adapters do you have/get for your setup?(I'm assuming you have the Bose speaker/sub system in your silverado.) Aslo, do you know if it will basically slide right in for install or is there any mods or fabrications needed to install it flush? I too have been searching and surfing for hours before diving into the Z1 install. Hopefully others can chime in and give some more info that would benefit both of us. I'm assuming that this install would be the same as installing any aftermarket unit so hopefully it won't be too tough. Thanks.
here is the layout of my truck. Oh by the way i do not have the bose system so that could be a difference in our stuff but the sizes are still the same. My stereo opening is about 4.12" high x 8.30" wide. Alot of people seem to think that its only 3 x 7 i dunno

Now these are not my truck since i have not got mine installed yet. But i have talked to these guys and they said they just took out the old one and popped in the new one. I did get a tip that i can pass on to ya. They both said that first off dont try to take the small black trim part that is closest to the radio off. It does not come off. The whole piece comes off together. It just pops off. Put your truck in the lowest gear you have and it will slide over teh steering wheel. Also the stock stereo only has about 1 or 2 inches of speaker wire so the best advise i was given was to take a pair of vise grips or pliers to hold teh harness while pulling teh unit out. I was told some cussing and beer drinking would not be out of place here. thats all i can say. I love how factory the look is.

here are a few links you may find interesting if you havent found them already.
[url]http://www.tta89.net/cars/2006_2500HD/gpsnav/index.htm
[/url]http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77521

well thats all i got lol.[/url]
Hey thanks silveradojeff...those links were perfect. I only wished he would have mentioned whether or not he had to modify or fabricate in order to fit the Z1 cleanly the way it looks. It looks very nice installed.

So it's possible, now I just need to figure out, other than the wiring harness, the metra install kit, and the GMOS4 adapter, what else I would need. Any input on that?

Also, I currently have a kenwood kvt-911 installed so I wonder if it will be a little easier installing the Z1? All I think I would have to do is unistall/unplug the kvt911 and remove all the wiring. I didn't do the kvt911 install myself though.

You've been really informative and helpful to me. Thanks!
Hey guys , just caught this and wanted to throw some insight in. I have a Escalade EXT which is basically the same dash as yours. Sounds as if you have all the adapters, I think all I had was the GMOS04 and the antenna adapter. on the fitment two little things- 1. The Z1 (at least mine) did not come with any metal side plates for mounting, the gm one's are tacked on. I ended up using a plastic double din kit and cutting the side plates off and attaching to the Z1 to fit into the factory anchors. You could pry the ones off of the factory unit for a little stiffer brace but the plastic ones seem to hold well. 2. it is extremely tight behind the radio espescially once you add the GMOS, I ended up completly removing all the plastics behind the radio, really simple once I got a hole, I just used pliars and started breaking it off, hated to do that but had to be done for a better fit. It did go in without doing this but it had to be wrestled and I didnt want to have to do that everytime I needed back there. Removing the plastic has not takin away any strength of the dash itself. Everywhere I went said this would not fit but trust me it fits with VERY MINOR mods and looks sweet.
Hey sloppy...thanks for the install info. How long did it take you to do the install? I've installed many single din units, but never a double din. how much plastic did you have to break off? Do you have any pics of your completed install? I'm wondering whether or not I need an antenna adapter since I already have an aftermarket unit in my tahoe. Do you know if the antenna adapter is universal? Thanks.
The install for the avic took roughly two hours maybe a little less. As far as the plastic I started with a small amount and kept fitting but ended up just taking out all the plastic behind the unit to make it easier for future additions once that stuff starts breaking it comes out pretty easy. With the antenna your probablly good to go and you may already have the Gmos in there as well as that is needed for all the GM goodies, it plugs into the GM harness and on the other end to the deck you wire in the power, acc, ground etc. etc. My pics are on my laptop which I can upload tomorrow, don't have any with the dash apart just the completed install. Another tidbit of info, if You have factory Bose, or if your unit was set up to take a factory nav unit, you will have a piggy back in there that has a connection to the VSS wire right there makes life really easy. There is a pic I can post of that on cadillacforums.com. I don't know if the none bose units have it or not but if you've got that piggyback it's one less wire to trace down.
[quote name="Anonymous"]Hey sloppy...thanks for the install info. How long did it take you to do the install? I've installed many single din units, but never a double din. how much plastic did you have to break off? Do you have any pics of your completed install? I'm wondering whether or not I need an antenna adapter since I already have an aftermarket unit in my tahoe. Do you know if the antenna adapter is universal? Thanks.[/quote]

I just reread your original post and since you do have the bose system you should have the piggy back for the vss, picture posted also if you don't already have it pac makes a sweet little piece to keep the steering controls. On the bypass I used the TR7 with a toggle to manually turn the daynight on and off, this was before Ducatiboy came up with his circuit but both work. I can get you a pic of the install tomorrow but it basically looks like the top install above.