AVIC411.com

Avic Z1 and 2003 Chevy Tahoe compatible...?

Guest Guest

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some odd ball reason there isn't a dimmer wire for the factory units, I know the lights dimm on the factory unit but there is no dimm wire that I could find. I did have mine piggybacked from the switch. all you have to do is take a voltmeter or testlight turn on the parking lights and stick the test light in the harness until it lights up then splice in. I had mine hooked up there but actually since have removed and installed on a toggle under the dash. The Navi at night with daytime setting is crazy bright but I like the fact of it not dimming the av screens and if for some crazy reason I want that bright A@@ navi screen glowing at night I have the option. I just took the ILL wire from the avic to one side of the toggle and the other side to switched acc.
[quote name="Sloppy"]For some odd ball reason there isn't a dimmer wire for the factory units, I know the lights dimm on the factory unit but there is no dimm wire that I could find. I did have mine piggybacked from the switch. all you have to do is take a voltmeter or testlight turn on the parking lights and stick the test light in the harness until it lights up then splice in. I had mine hooked up there but actually since have removed and installed on a toggle under the dash. The Navi at night with daytime setting is crazy bright but I like the fact of it not dimming the av screens and if for some crazy reason I want that bright A@@ navi screen glowing at night I have the option. I just took the ILL wire from the avic to one side of the toggle and the other side to switched acc.[/quote]

Ok, I was just curious because I just bought/ordered one of Ducatoboy's bypass flasher since I have the autoheadlights, a clifford alarm with remote start, and I want to be able to use all the functions of the Z1 while in motion.. not sure if you have one of them or not, but I'm not sure which wire(s) is the illumination or dimmer. from my understanding, the bypass flasher requires splicing it into the illumination wire.
On the bypass I used a PacTR7 basically does the same thing as ducati boys Circuit. I ran my tR7 off of the Illum wire on the Avic which I believe was the orange wire. then at first came off of that with a wire to the parking light switch even with auto healights it would'nt mess with the screen until the switch was moved, then ended up taking that off and going straight to a toggle just for more flexability. So you should be good either way you go. I also have a viper 791vx W/ Remote Start and wired up this way or with ducatiboys circuit you will have all options as long as the illumination wire gets a pulse, the bypass is good. I like the option with the toggle be able to turn the navigation black is pretty nice I like that look better than the daytime navi screen, but the toggle gives you some options instead of straight off the switch
[quote name="Sloppy"]On the bypass I used a PacTR7 basically does the same thing as ducati boys Circuit. I ran my tR7 off of the Illum wire on the Avic which I believe was the orange wire. then at first came off of that with a wire to the parking light switch even with auto healights it would'nt mess with the screen until the switch was moved, then ended up taking that off and going straight to a toggle just for more flexability. So you should be good either way you go. I also have a viper 791vx W/ Remote Start and wired up this way or with ducatiboys circuit you will have all options as long as the illumination wire gets a pulse, the bypass is good. I like the option with the toggle be able to turn the navigation black is pretty nice I like that look better than the daytime navi screen, but the toggle gives you some options instead of straight off the switch[/quote]

Ok, so just to be clear on this...if I don't use a TR7 or toggle switch, and just use Ducatiboys bypass flasher, I will have access to all the functions of the Z1 even when in motion. The only thing that I won't have is when it is dark, the Z1 screen will not dim and the nav screen will still appear as daytime sky rather than changing to night sky?
[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="Sloppy"]On the bypass I used a PacTR7 basically does the same thing as ducati boys Circuit. I ran my tR7 off of the Illum wire on the Avic which I believe was the orange wire. then at first came off of that with a wire to the parking light switch even with auto healights it would'nt mess with the screen until the switch was moved, then ended up taking that off and going straight to a toggle just for more flexability. So you should be good either way you go. I also have a viper 791vx W/ Remote Start and wired up this way or with ducatiboys circuit you will have all options as long as the illumination wire gets a pulse, the bypass is good. I like the option with the toggle be able to turn the navigation black is pretty nice I like that look better than the daytime navi screen, but the toggle gives you some options instead of straight off the switch[/quote]

Ok, so just to be clear on this...if I don't use a TR7 or toggle switch, and just use Ducatiboys bypass flasher, I will have access to all the functions of the Z1 even when in motion. The only thing that I won't have is when it is dark, the Z1 screen will not dim and the nav screen will still appear as daytime sky rather than changing to night sky?[/quote]

Actually if you hook it up correctly you will get all the functions and it will go into night mode with the lights. I made it to replace the functioning of 2 TR7's not just 1.

If you have 1 TR7 hooked up to pulse, and you start your car and your lights go on within 10 seconds of starting the car (if you have auto headlights or you turn them on manually) you will interfere with what the 1 TR7 was about to do (tell your head unit you flashed the lights).

So what people were doing was to hook 2 TR7's up. One to flash the lights and the other to "hold off" the signal to the head unit from the lights saying they were on. So if you did turn them on (or with auto headlights at night) before 10 seconds was up the first TR7 would do it's job.

I designed my circuit to go inbetween the car and the head unit so for the first 10 seconds after starting the car, it would tell the head unit you flashed your lights. Then after 10 seconds it would pass through what the state of the lights was so it would dim and go into night mode. But my circuit disregards the state of the lights for the first 10 seconds.

So basically my circuit does the work of 2 TR7's. If you don't have auto lights and are sure you won't turn on your lights for 10 seconds after you start the car, you only would need 1 TR7. Or my circuit. Either way works the same.
Hi Ducatiboy,

Sorry, those posts that show up as guest, was me. I forgot to log in prior to posting. Just to understand a little better...So as long as I install your bypass, I don't have to worry about the dimmer wire connected or not connected? I know that I have to connect your bypass to the illumination wire, ground, and power. No problem with that, but sloppy said that there is no dimmer wire for the factory units in regards to his Silverado(which I believe would be the same for my Tahoe). My concern is that if there is no dimmer wire, does that mean my Z1 will not dim in the evenings, and the sky will not turn to dark when its dark, and blue sky in the daytime?
Ducatiboys bypass is the way to go I used my TR7's before his little jewel was invented. As for the dimming on the Tahoe. On my escalade which is basically a tahoe with different name badges, I could not find a ILL. Dim, there is a wire that comes off of the GMOS04 that sais ILL but when hooked up it does nothing. If you want the avic to dimm with the auto lights you will need to find a positive source for the headlights either at the switch or off the rear off the fusebox, I did mine off the switch and it worked no problem. So you will actually go from the Avic ILL wire to Ducati's circuit to your light source depending on how his circuit is wired, I'm sure he has diagram with circuit for general set up. I ended up putting mine on a toggle for two reasons 1. I don't like that when I am on any AV screens at night they dimm as well, not a big deal but they are noticebly different when you see the actual difference. 2. I like the look of the MAP view in black rather than the white dayime look, IF im using 3d Then I use night or day depending, it basically just gives me options of the ill. Which I know is a little whack but it works for me. So you will still need to run your Ill wire to a pos lightsource that turns on/off with the lights I origianlly had this at my switch and may actaully run back there with a diode to the toggle so I have automated day/night or manually switchable.
Basically, Your ILL wire to Positive source when lights come on with Ducati's circuit in there per his instructions.
[quote name="avictahoe"]Hi Ducatiboy,

Sorry, those posts that show up as guest, was me. I forgot to log in prior to posting. Just to understand a little better...So as long as I install your bypass, I don't have to worry about the dimmer wire connected or not connected? I know that I have to connect your bypass to the illumination wire, ground, and power. No problem with that, but sloppy said that there is no dimmer wire for the factory units in regards to his Silverado(which I believe would be the same for my Tahoe). My concern is that if there is no dimmer wire, does that mean my Z1 will not dim in the evenings, and the sky will not turn to dark when its dark, and blue sky in the daytime?[/quote]

Basically like Sloppy said. There are diagrams for installation in the hacks/mods section. Normally I designed this circuit to go in between a working ILL wire from the car and the ILL input wire on the Z1. If your particular car does not have a wire like that, then you will have to find one... or make one with a toggle switch like Sloppy did. I'm not an installer and don't know how different cars are wired, so I can't help you find one. But if you want it to automatically go dim and into night mode when you turn on the lights you will need to "find" a wire which goes to 12V when you turn on the lights. Sometimes there is one on the harness going to the radio. Sometimes not, it depends on the car. I was thinking of doing some sort of a switch myself, cause in NJ you have to have the headlights on when it's raining even if it's so bright you need sunglasses so it dims in the day time when I need to run with my lights on. So a switch you would have control over it.

Usually a dimmer wire would be a pulsed 12V signal to make the lights come on but with a dimmer control. My circuit is designed to work off that as well. If you can find a wire which pulses with 12V and the pulses are adjustable with the dimmer knob, it should work off that as well, as long as the lights coming on are when you want the Z1 to dim as well.
Ducatiboy and sloppy,

Thanks for all the great info. You'll have to forgive me for all the questions, my experience with installing navs is very little. I've done regular single dins, but they were very easy to do in civics and integras. No modules to deal with and never had to use any form of bypasses, so these parts are still relatively new to me. I was initially going to do the install myself, but a friend of mine has a buddy who does installs at a local audio shop and is very reputable. He said they would do the install for me for free. But, since I am also going to have them install the bypass, I wanted to make sure I could explain to them exactly what was going on with it and what needed to be done. If I didn't care about the auto dimming... Ducatiboy, would there be anything different as far as your instructions on installing the bypass? Aslo, correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to manually dim the Z1 if it was really necessary right? Could I also manually make the nav in black, instead of the daytime white?
[quote name="avictahoe"]Ducatiboy and sloppy,

Thanks for all the great info. You'll have to forgive me for all the questions, my experience with installing navs is very little. I've done regular single dins, but they were very easy to do in civics and integras. No modules to deal with and never had to use any form of bypasses, so these parts are still relatively new to me. I was initially going to do the install myself, but a friend of mine has a buddy who does installs at a local audio shop and is very reputable. He said they would do the install for me for free. But, since I am also going to have them install the bypass, I wanted to make sure I could explain to them exactly what was going on with it and what needed to be done. If I didn't care about the auto dimming... Ducatiboy, would there be anything different as far as your instructions on installing the bypass? Aslo, correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to manually dim the Z1 if it was really necessary right? Could I also manually make the nav in black, instead of the daytime white?[/quote]

No problem, this was my first nav system as well. I didn't even think of a bypass or anything, till someone figured out the first TR7 setup. So I jumped in with both feet and learned real quick. :)

As for what your buddy needs to know how to install the flasher, look at the attached picture in the order post:
[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166[/url]
There are instructions in there as well. If you want to print out the picture and tell him to not connect the parking brake wire and connect my circuit like shown in that picture. If he is a good installer this would be super easy for him to do. Once he sees that picture he will understand. The only "weird" thing is to NOT connect the parking brake wire to anything.

As for manually dimming the bypass, I don't think you can do it in settings, but if you have him hook the white input wire from my circuit through a toggle switch to 12v, when you flip the toggle switch it will go into night mode, when you flip it back it will go back to normal. But I think it's better to run it off the lights myself. But that's just a preference.
Ducatiboy and Sloppy,

Ok, after reading your posts a couple times over, this is what I got…let me know if this is right.

Since I'm having it installed, and there is no illum/dim wire in the car; I need to remind them to connect the orange illum wire of the Z1 to a 12v wire so that the Z1 will dimm when the lights are on and the nav screen will turn to night. The bypass will be connected to the same orange illum wire coming from the Z1, orange side of the bypass goes towards the Z1 and the white side goes to the other end of the illum wire that is going to which ever 12v wire they decide to tap into. Then the usual ground and power wires tapped into the ground and power wires between the Z1 and the GMOS4. Right? Because if I remember correctly when plugged together, it should be

Z1HU harness>GMOS4>wiring harness(adapter connected to the factory harness)

This will enable the Z1 to bypass and allow me all functions and also dimm the Z1 when the lights are on. Am I correct in all this? Thanks.
[quote name="avictahoe"]Since I'm having it installed, and there is no illum/dim wire in the car; I need to remind them to connect the orange illum wire of the Z1 to a 12v wire so that the Z1 will dimm when the lights are on and the nav screen will turn to night. The bypass will be connected to the same orange illum wire coming from the Z1, orange side of the bypass goes towards the Z1 and the white side goes to the other end of the illum wire that is going to which ever 12v wire they decide to tap into. Then the usual ground and power wires tapped into the ground and power wires between the Z1 and the GMOS4. Right? Because if I remember correctly when plugged together, it should be

This will enable the Z1 to bypass and allow me all functions and also dimm the Z1 when the lights are on. Am I correct in all this? Thanks.[/quote]

Yep, you are talking like they are going to install it first without the bypass. Then some time later install the bypass. Let's pretend they do, have them hook the 12V when the lights are on wire to the orange ill wire into the Z1, when you want to put in the bypass circuit, you CUT that connection and put my circuit in between (this is the important part) with my orange wire going to the Z1 orange ill wire and my white wire to what ever you previously had connected to the ILL wire (goes to 12v when lights are on). And 12V switched and GND. Yep, that's the ticket. Oh and don't connect the parking brake.

Then yes all will work just beautifully!
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="avictahoe"]Since I'm having it installed, and there is no illum/dim wire in the car; I need to remind them to connect the orange illum wire of the Z1 to a 12v wire so that the Z1 will dimm when the lights are on and the nav screen will turn to night. The bypass will be connected to the same orange illum wire coming from the Z1, orange side of the bypass goes towards the Z1 and the white side goes to the other end of the illum wire that is going to which ever 12v wire they decide to tap into. Then the usual ground and power wires tapped into the ground and power wires between the Z1 and the GMOS4. Right? Because if I remember correctly when plugged together, it should be

This will enable the Z1 to bypass and allow me all functions and also dimm the Z1 when the lights are on. Am I correct in all this? Thanks.[/quote]

Yep, you are talking like they are going to install it first without the bypass. Then some time later install the bypass. Let's pretend they do, have them hook the 12V when the lights are on wire to the orange ill wire into the Z1, when you want to put in the bypass circuit, you CUT that connection and put my circuit in between (this is the important part) with my orange wire going to the Z1 orange ill wire and my white wire to what ever you previously had connected to the ILL wire (goes to 12v when lights are on). And 12V switched and GND. Yep, that's the ticket. Oh and don't connect the parking brake.

Then yes all will work just beautifully![/quote]

Ducatiboy,
Sorry...maybe it's because it's Friday or cause of the heat here in Northern Cali, but you confused me there for a sec. They'll actually install the bypass all at the same time when they do the install. So to be extra extra clear...let's say that they install the orange illum wire from the z1 directly to the parking lights(12v). basically they cut the illum wire, connect the Z1 end to the orange end of the bypass, and take the other end of the Z1 illum wire thats connected to the parking lights, and connect that to the white wire on the bypass. I did a really bad drawing below, but is this basically what you mean?