AVIC411.com

Avic Z1 and 2003 Chevy Tahoe compatible...?

Guest Guest

[quote name="avictahoe"]Hey Ducatiboy,

well I came home, and tried all the reset methods with no success. I decided to remove the bypass connections, and I think I may have found the problem.The wire taps I used didn't break through the wire coating on your bypass. They broke through the wires of the z1 harness because it was a bigger gauge, but not through the bypass harness due to it being a smaller gauge.what is the best, most secure method of tapping the bypass wires into the z1 harness?[/quote]

Well, I would recommend soldering all connections. Or getting a tap that is the correct size. My wires are 20 AWG, just find a tap that is that size, or with the taps you have now, you can strip 1/2 inch off the end of the thinner wires and fold it back over itself and put it back in the taps, and they should grab. Just make sure the stripped bare wire does not extend out of the tap or you could short to something, maybe tape up the tap as well.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ducatiboy...got everything soldered and working fine. Just wanted to say thanks for you bypass as well as all the help you gave me with my trouble shooting.

Ok, I only have one problem now. I connected my ipod to the ipod adapter. Im able to control the ipod, but Im not getting any sound. Did the installer install it wrong or do I need to do some kind of setup on the z1? Thanks.
[quote name="avictahoe"]Hey Ducatiboy...got everything soldered and working fine. Just wanted to say thanks for you bypass as well as all the help you gave me with my trouble shooting.[/quote]

You are very welcome. I'm actually glad it was a connection issue and not that the unit was bad. Thanks for getting back to us with what the problem was.

[quote name="avictahoe"]Ok, I only have one problem now. I connected my ipod to the ipod adapter. Im able to control the ipod, but Im not getting any sound. Did the installer install it wrong or do I need to do some kind of setup on the z1? Thanks.[/quote]

The big "bus" wire that goes between the Z1 and the ipod adapter has a blue end and a black end. The BLUE end goes into the Z1 and the BLACK end goes into the accessory (I'm pretty sure, check the installation manual). Someone else had the EXACT same problem with a sirius radio box (fully control but no sound) and they had that cable plugged in backwards. The problem is they have a "radio end" and an "accessory end" and it's easy to reverse the wire (it will fit either way). And it makes a difference, you need the colors in the right spot. Either that or the ipod is the last thing in the "ip bus" chain and they plugged the right color into the wrong plug on the ipod connector. I'd bet it's one of the two.

I had half a mind to be a smart ass and say you need to turn the volume up on the ipod, but chances are someone would read that and try it. :)
Ok, thanks Ducatiboy. I know that it is a black plug that is installed on the back of the Z1 IP Bus In. So this could be the problem. I also have the sirius tuner, but that works fine. Don't they normally daisy chain those two since they both would be plugged into the IP Bus In line? If so, why would the Sirius work correctly but not the ipod interface?

As far as the volume...I actually did unplug my ipod from the interface and turned up the volume on the ipod itself to see if that would work...hey...had to try it LOL. :oops:

For those who currently have the setup of a z1, sirius tuner, and ipod interface, could anyone tell me how the ipod and sirius tuners and connected? This is my last and final quirk to work out, and everything will be working correctly in my setup. I tried using the install manual, but the page that shows the connections for everything is very confusing to me, especially since its all in black and white. Thanks.
  • 2 weeks later...
This may be a little late, but here is some info & pics of GM Double DIN install from Delphi's new GM in dash Navigation system

[url=http://www.delphioffer.com/tnr800/]http://www.delphioffer.com/tnr800/[/url]

[url=http://www.delphioffer.com/tnr800/pdf/delphi_tnr800_install_guide.pdf]http://www.delphioffer.com/tnr800/pdf/d ... _guide.pdf[/url]
  • 10 months later...
I have a 2003 Tahoe with Bose. I am installing an AVIC-D3 and have all neccesary adapters (GMOS-04 mainly). Just a few quick questions. Can someone explain the VSS at the radio? I know there is a VSS in the engine compartment, but is there a VSS wire at the radio, and if so which is it? also, where is the best to pull 12V+ battery (how much current will all this stuff draw) and where is the easiest spot to tap reverse signal power? i am goin to install a 200W amp for a subwoofer. Can i just tap one of the fuse boxes or should i run from the battery? Thanks in advance!