AVIC411.com

installing into a 2006 jetta 2.5 - got a few ???

I suppose my biggest question is if this double din dash kit would work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

It says its for an 06 GTI, but it looks just like the dash in my car.

Second question is howabout the keysense. As in when I pull the key out of the ignition, the factory stereo shutsoff. Will the D3 do this, or do I need to rig something up?

Third,how good are the master sheets that crutchfield sends with the unit. How about the harnesses? Is there anything else I should order beforehand?

The new GTIs and Jettas have pretty much the same interiors. I have an 07 GTI that was in the shop for about a month and while I was waiting I was driving an 07 Jetta rental. I swapped my D3 out of the GTI into the Jetta for a short period of time, installed exactly the same.

Keysense will work, but you need a CAN-BUS adapter from PAC audio (http://www.pac-audio.com/products/produ ... 0Interface) make sure you get the newest versions because the old versions that Crutchfield appears to sell may not be compatible with our cars. I would highly recommend enfig.com, they are very well known and respected in the VW community, I got my SWI-CAN from them and it works perfectly.

Keep in mind that our cars dont have an Accessory 12v out your D3 (i'm assuming) needs. The SWI-CAN gives you that. Your only other option is running the 12v ACC from your car's fusebox which may not have the most desirable results. In my experience, when my installer wired it up that way, my D3 would reboot every time i turned on my windshield wipers.

Not sure about Crutchfield's mastersheets as I did not buy my unit from them. But other than the dash kit and harness, you also need a Euro antenna adapter, since our cars have amplified AM/FM antennas.

Do you currently have/plan on getting satellite radio? If so, i can can give you the breakdown on adapting your stock antenna to the aftermarket tunerbox for the cleanest look. I literally tore both my GTI and the Jetta apart finding out how to do it.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Do you currently have/plan on getting satellite radio? If so, i can can give you the breakdown on adapting your stock antenna to the aftermarket tunerbox for the cleanest look. I literally tore both my GTI and the Jetta apart finding out how to do it.

I'm going to be doing the same install in my GTI very shortly and would be much appreciated if you could explain how to use the stock antenna. Thanks in advance.

I'm going to be doing the same install in my GTI very shortly and would be much appreciated if you could explain how to use the stock antenna. Thanks in advance.

When I ordered my unit from crutchfield, they sent me an adaptor. This can-bus adapter seems to do everything else.

The new GTIs and Jettas have pretty much the same interiors. I have an 07 GTI that was in the shop for about a month and while I was waiting I was driving an 07 Jetta rental. I swapped my D3 out of the GTI into the Jetta for a short period of time, installed exactly the same.

Keysense will work, but you need a CAN-BUS adapter from PAC audio (http://www.pac-audio.com/products/produ ... 0Interface) make sure you get the newest versions because the old versions that Crutchfield appears to sell may not be compatible with our cars. I would highly recommend enfig.com, they are very well known and respected in the VW community, I got my SWI-CAN from them and it works perfectly.

Keep in mind that our cars dont have an Accessory 12v out your D3 (i'm assuming) needs. The SWI-CAN gives you that. Your only other option is running the 12v ACC from your car's fusebox which may not have the most desirable results. In my experience, when my installer wired it up that way, my D3 would reboot every time i turned on my windshield wipers.

Not sure about Crutchfield's mastersheets as I did not buy my unit from them. But other than the dash kit and harness, you also need a Euro antenna adapter, since our cars have amplified AM/FM antennas.

When you installed, did you hook the VSS and Illumination wire, and reverse? if you did, where are they? VSS I think is behind the console, but there seems to be discussion on which is the appropriate illumination wire.

When you installed, did you hook the VSS and Illumination wire, and reverse? if you did, where are they? VSS I think is behind the console, but there seems to be discussion on which is the appropriate illumination wire.

My understanding is that that adapter was only for the AM/FM reception. The satellite radio has its own antenna, which is included w/ the satellite module.

I read djczar's post as that he was able to use the stock antenna for the satellite reception as well. If all I need is the antenna adapter that came from crutchfield, then I am set. But, everything that I have read has said that the stock satellite antenna is useless once you go w/ an aftermarket HU. DJ, could you please elaborate a little further. I'm trying to gather all the information that I can before install and my head is about to explode. :D

I cannot speak for the VW itself, but...

Third,how good are the master sheets that crutchfield sends with the unit. How about the harnesses? Is there anything else I should order beforehand?

I was not that impressed with the Master Sheet from Crutchfield... It basically told me to connect the red wire to the red wire and the yellow wire to the yellow wire and so forth... The harness instructions already gave me that info... Oh, and common sense...

For the Master Sheet I would assume that it would tell you where the VSS wire is for your vehicle and where to find the Reverse Wire and give you more specifics of your particular vehicle... For a "custom" document it was pretty darn generic in my opinion...

Example, my Aviator had about four wires that were not used/detailed in the Master Sheet... This is the kind of info that I would EXPECT in the Master Sheet... Do I ground them??? Do I tape them off??? What do I do with them??? They simply were not mentioned at all...

As far as removing stock radios and stock speakers, the Master Sheet does go into detail... But, if you are a DIYer and tackling an install like this, then I bet you already knew how to remove your radio...

I am probably being overly critical, but I am glad I got it for "free"...

Good luck,

Mark

My understanding is that that adapter was only for the AM/FM reception. The satellite radio has its own antenna, which is included w/ the satellite module.

I read djczar's post as that he was able to use the stock antenna for the satellite reception as well. If all I need is the antenna adapter that came from crutchfield, then I am set. But, everything that I have read has said that the stock satellite antenna is useless once you go w/ an aftermarket HU. DJ, could you please elaborate a little further. I'm trying to gather all the information that I can before install and my head is about to explode. :D

You understood what I meant exactly. Don't believe what people say as the stock VW SAT antenna works perfectly with an aftermarket HU. My main question to you is whether your car already has satellite radio (package 1 or 2) or did not come with it and you have the long beesting antenna on your roof.

If it already came with satellite radio, all u need to do is remove the stock sat tuner box under the front passenger's seat and screw in the aftermarket one to the bracket thats already there. The VW antenna lead will match the connector on the aftermarket tuner box. You might just have to take off the plastic shell around it (usually green in color.) The connectors are called FAKRA SMB.

If your car didn't come with satellite radio however, things are harder but not impossible. You can order an original GTI sat antenna from VW, althought it's quite pricey, a whopping $264. You can follow the instructions here to actually get to the antenna. Although his instructions are for swapping a euro spec am/fm antenna, the dissasembly instructions are exactly the same.

After you put the antenna in place you have 2 options. You can either run custom cable to the tuner box and terminate your own connectors or if you manage to squeeze your tuner box behind the actual HU (like I did with my Sirius module,) u can utilized one of the unused leads originally used for the dual-input VW headunit. Again, pry the plastic FAKRA connectors off to expose the raw SMB ones, and then they just plug in.

Here is a diagram to help you order the parts if you wish.

sat_radio.gif

Hope this helped and good luck!

djczar, thanks a lot. I have package 2. I just had not taken my satellite module out yet to compare the connectors. I was under the impression that it was different. This seems easier than I thought. Thanks again.

VW/audi use fakra connectors for their sat which is what the standard seems to be so the will work.

pioneer uses a gt5 hirose connector for their gps though not a fakra like vw/audi so its not compatible without an adapter or modifcation.

I have yet to find an adpater even searching many european applications, so modifcation will probably be required for gps, which I have not had chance to try yet on my a3

You might just have to take off the plastic shell around it (usually green in color.) The connectors are called FAKRA SMB.

Thanks you just helped me out big time with my Audi!

After you put the antenna in place you have 2 options. You can either run custom cable to the tuner box and terminate your own connectors or if you manage to squeeze your tuner box behind the actual HU (like I did with my Sirius module,) u can utilized one of the unused leads originally used for the dual-input VW headunit. Again, pry the plastic FAKRA connectors off to expose the raw SMB ones, and then they just plug in.

For reference there is a sort of extension cable available here:

http://stores.vagnav.com/Detail.bok?no=76

VW/audi use fakra connectors for their sat which is what the standard seems to be so the will work.

pioneer uses a gt5 hirose connector for their gps though not a fakra like vw/audi so its not compatible without an adapter or modifcation.

I have yet to find an adpater even searching many european applications, so modifcation will probably be required for gps, which I have not had chance to try yet on my a3

So it looks like I won't be able to use my factory GPS antenna on Avic D3 with out this adapter, correct? Well if I find one i'll let you know.

So it looks like I won't be able to use my factory GPS antenna on Avic D3 with out this adapter, correct? Well if I find one i'll let you know.

If you find anything out let me know, I've kind of slacked off as I only have 2 weeks before I move and my A3 is being held hostage at the dealer I used to work for till I pay for the ram I bought, so I have not even thought about my d3.

once I get to GA I'll be looking again to figure out how to make the connectors work.

If you find anything out let me know, I've kind of slacked off as I only have 2 weeks before I move and my A3 is being held hostage at the dealer I used to work for till I pay for the ram I bought, so I have not even thought about my d3.

once I get to GA I'll be looking again to figure out how to make the connectors work.

I really could not find anything. I might just end up cutting the end off the antenna that comes with the unit and connecting it to the SMB to FARKA cable I get.