AVIC411.com

strip off the logos?

Yeah, I'm with cntrylvr79 on this one. Don't screw with your $800-$1000 radio. Just cover it up or something.

Then when you are ready to upgrade in a few years, you'll have a fairly decent radio to sell and not some acid stained, plastic warped oem looking radio. ;)

I wouldn't use acetone, that stuff really likes to dissolve a fair amount of plastics.

I work with alot of solvents at work. Acetone evaporates too fast to do any damage.

I've used it on my phone to clean some spray paint (got spray paint on my fingers than used my phone) off my keys. It did not do any damage.

Right, but keep in mind that your cell phone is probably made of a different plastic than the D3. If it's something you want to try, I won't stop you, but for safety sake, try it on a small corner first and see if it dissolves the plastic on the D3.

You might consider goof off, or something that contains BTEX (benzene, xylene, ethylbenzene or toluene. Most of the stuff you buy today only contains xylene or toluene. Xylene is in goof off in particular. But i agree with the other posts, try it somewhere inconspicuous first, or you might completely screw up your deck.

You might consider goof off, or something that contains BTEX (benzene, xylene, ethylbenzene or toluene. Most of the stuff you buy today only contains xylene or toluene. Xylene is in goof off in particular. But i agree with the other posts, try it somewhere inconspicuous first, or you might completely screw up your deck.

If someone thinks acetone will damage the face, there's no way those solvents aren't going to be worse.

BTW the acetone you guys have experience with is most likely diluted with water. I have drums of 100% stuff which evaporates extremely fast. The water in the store stuff slows down the evaporation time so your nail polish will come off. :wink:

Um...I really don't think that the thief looks at a 1/4" tall logo from a few feet away through glass and determines his theft by that. I get the idea that they know what sweet radios look like...

"Ooooh, that looks niceeee . . ."

• 11 months later...

If someone thinks acetone will damage the face, there's no way those solvents aren't going to be worse.

BTW the acetone you guys have experience with is most likely diluted with water. I have drums of 100% stuff which evaporates extremely fast. The water in the store stuff slows down the evaporation time so your nail polish will come off. :wink:

I work with acetone at work also. We use it to clean metal parts. We also often use it to clean off laminated sheets, and it doesn't affect them until they have been wiped many times. But, the Lexan doors to our equipment "melts" if you wipe it just once with acetone. Also other plastic containers we used to use would also melt. If you were board, you could melt a crack in a plastic container together with acetone. Some of our calculators have the buttons melted to the face from acetone. I would be careful what you use it on, it depends on the type of plastic. Like others suggested, try it on a small area first.