AVIC411.com

Need some quick help. I have the D3 currently installed on my new vehicle. Love it, but hate the nav discs I have to load and the fact that there is no hard drive for me to store music. The dealer told me the D3 didn't use nav dics and that it had a hard drive. Now that this is all coming to light, well the guy is giving me the upgrade to the Z1 for $200 if I want it. I love the bypass and being able to watch DVD's in the front seat. What should I do? Stick with the D3 and buy the ipod adapter or get the Z1? Pros and cons of each would be nice? Thanks

the only advantage to the d3 is the faster ipod, oh and the huge price difference. if you can upgrade for only $200 do it. even if you decided to go back to the d3, you could still sell the z1 for more than you paid for it, and rebuy the d3. but idont think you'll want to after seeing the z1

I've used the D3 and I own the Z1...

*IMHO*

Z1-

1. bigger screen

2. screen can tilt

3. hard-drive = storage for music, can insert CD/DVD, slightly faster routing

4. You have a MUTE button for the TTS person who talks. D3 you have to go to volume and lower her to nothing.

5. faster panning around your map. Nice smooth touch, no jerky crap like d3

6. I like the buttons more on the bottom

7. slightly more features than the d3 as far as maps, intelligent routing, etc.

D3-

1. colors can change to match your interior

2. Neat-o iPod video integration. slightly faster regular iPod integration, and it looks cooler, no big deal to me, I like XM more (I have iPod though)

3. volume wheel. Ok I admit, it can be nice to turn a wheel rather then use a button

4. so far, bypassable. z2 isn't showing much promise. maybe map updates to d3 wont break their bypass. z2 are fucked for now, and z1->z2 is PROBABLY fucked

5. cheaper than the Z1/Z2

6. faster menu draws. I hate how the z1 tries to animate all the menus you go through. the D3 just displays them instantly. Much cleaner IMHO

If they were the same $ to me, i'd pick the Z1. I picked the Z1 even with more $ though too. I think its a better solution. I can understand the reason for people picking the D3 though too.

I chose the D3 because I have 7600 songs on my iPod so iPod integration was the most important factor for me. I also like the rotary volume control. BTW, if you push and hold the volume knob it mutes the radio. Also, you can use a remote with ATT and the BlueTooth adapter mutes for incoming and outgoing calls. I have no use for the HD in the Z1 so I can't speak to that. I haven't found the single drive of any inconvenience to me. If you calculate a route then remove the nav dvd, it stores the current route in internal memory. This allows you to play a CD/DVD and still have nav routing. For me it was a no brainer but it really depends on what your priorities are.

Will I still be able to watch DVD's on the front screen? Does the z1 still allow for this? I don't want to take the D3 out and get the Z1 in and not like it or it not be bypassible. Anyone have any advice on this? What is the start up speed like on the Z1? I've heard it's slower booting up. Decisions decisions!

The Z1 is slower to start up. Not that big a deal. If you left it on an audio source, you can hear that source while it starts up but you won't be able to do anything on the screen

Will I still be able to watch DVD's on the front screen? Does the z1 still allow for this? I don't want to take the D3 out and get the Z1 in and not like it or it not be bypassible. Anyone have any advice on this? What is the start up speed like on the Z1? I've heard it's slower booting up. Decisions decisions!
I chose the D3 because I have 7600 songs on my iPod so iPod integration was the most important factor for me. I also like the rotary volume control. BTW, if you push and hold the volume knob it mutes the radio. Also, you can use a remote with ATT and the BlueTooth adapter mutes for incoming and outgoing calls. I have no use for the HD in the Z1 so I can't speak to that. I haven't found the single drive of any inconvenience to me. If you calculate a route then remove the nav dvd, it stores the current route in internal memory. This allows you to play a CD/DVD and still have nav routing. For me it was a no brainer but it really depends on what your priorities are.

nicely sum'd up... that was basically my thoughts in a nutshell

-ipod was a must

-navigation was an added value

-custom LED's and screens was a HUGE selling point (ive swapped all my interior LED's)

-video/nav bypass was a must

I have a D3 installed in my Corvette C6 and am very happy with that decision.

I would use the $200 and put it towards an Ipod video to use with your D3. I bought a used 60 GB Ipod video on ebay for $255 with shipping and have ripped every one of my personal CD's and loaded them onto the Ipod and still have half the Ipod for CD's in the future and any videos that I may want. I went with this option mostly because the Z1 didn't allow you to transfer previously ripped MP3's onto the hard drive and if the database that is loaded on the unit didn't have your CD, then the song titles will not show up on your unit. I instead ripped all of my CD's and made sure the tags were correct on my laptop before I loaded them onto the Ipod.

Since I have the Ipod for music I never take the nav disc out unless I'm loading new backgrounds (another feature that beats the Z1) or watching a DVD - all music that I listened to before was on a CD with MP3's burned, so why not have that all on a Ipod.

I also loaded a few videos onto the Ipod and have been very happy with the results when they are played on the D3. The picture quality isn't what I have on my TV at home, but I'm not at home, so it's good enough for me in the car.

I think a lot of people are delusional because the Z1 costs more and that means it's the end all, be all. But you can't beat the D3 with an Ipod connection, bluetooth adapter and Sirius adapter like I have and it's more than $1,000 cheaper than the Z1 (I have about $1,400 in my D3 with all of the adapters and Ipod included - all bought on ebay, but the deal from Crutchfield that has been mentioned many times on this forum would have been the same price minus the Ipod). It just works great. I also didn't realize how much I would enjoy the bluetooth... it's really great once you have all of your contacts loaded and have your phone set up to work with the unit.