AVIC411.com

One free HDD unlock

Ok I got this email from the company who I bought the unlock licenses which work with the Z1/Z2's hard drive. If anyone would like to unlock their Hard drive for free (and then make sure you disable locking so it doesn't get re-locked upon insertion into the Avic http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728 ) Post a response to this thread. This is not a first come first serve. This is a "I'll wait for a day or so and who ever posts with the most post count or the one I feel has contributed to this forum the most will get the PM from me with the license code. If you didn't get a PM response then you didn't "win".

I want to be fair, but I also want to help out the forum regulars before I get a person with 2 posts who is too cheap to buy one.

I don't know what will happen if my "friend's license" was used twice. I don't think it will work the second time. But we can test that as well.

This was the email I got.

Hello,

We are excited to let you know that we have finished our work on a new version of Repair Station. We have significantly simplified the interface and replaced a lot of core functions so that Repair Station can work with IDE and SATA hard drives on any modern platform without the need to alter BIOS settings. Plus, support for some newest hard drives has been added.

To celebrate this big release, we are giving away $49.95 license codes for free!

Your License code is: I'm not giving this away till it's closer to May 25th

When it gets closer if it looks like I don't need this one either, I'll use this thread to PM this license to the "Second place" person.

This code must be used by May 25, 2007. Once activated, you will have the ability to unlock or recover one hard drive.

Instructions on Repair Station usage and download links are located here: http://hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/

In case you do not need HDD unlocking or recovery service, please feel free to pass this e-mail to your friend! Oh, and in case you need to use this license, here is another for your friend:

Friend's License code is: Will be PMed to the "winner"

If you end up with having unused license codes, then feel free to post them to your favourite forums and help others!

We hope that you enjoy this release of Repair Station.

If you currently have an active Repair Station license, this license will be added and used when you perform unlocking or recovery. Then, Repair Station will switch back to your previous license.

PS. Repair Station diagnostic service has always been free, so please feel free to check as many hard drives as you want!

About Repair Station:

A-FF Repair Station is the fastest and cheapest IDE and SATA disk drive recovery service available since 2003. It is used for firmware area recovery and safe ATA-password removal. Most HDD failures are caused by firmware area damage and can be recovered with Repair Station.

Sure....I'd like to do it...I've got plenty of spare time. However, I'm a newbie and not good at decompiling and reading code. I think the unlock should go to the person who could provide us the most information with the unlock and I don't think that's me :)[/b]

I'd like my HDD unlocked! Funny thing is, just a few weeks ago I went down to Sears to buy a T8 torx to take the HDD out. I have been trying ways to get the HDD unlocked by using freeware but so far nothing has worked. I'm not a newbie but I don't have many posts neither. Anyway, I'd like to participate in comparing files from my Z1 and from a Z2 image and testing out the results after file changes or modifications. All I need now is an unlocked HDD and a Z2 image.

BTW, did you get this e-mail because you were a recent customer? If so, I wonder if they're sending those out at random or if all of their recent customers will get them. Maybe a few of our members will get the e-mail soon.

may god have mercy on your pm inbox.

Thanks! :)

BTW, did you get this e-mail because you were a recent customer? If so, I wonder if they're sending those out at random or if all of their recent customers will get them. Maybe a few of our members will get the e-mail soon.

I think so, I purchased 4 unlock licenses in the past, a single and then a 3 pack. So maybe someone else here who purchased these, maybe can join in if they get some.

Just my .02, shouldn't it go to someone with a Z2 that can provide an image and assist with the software bypass you guys have been talking about?

That could go either way. Some people need to unlock the Z1 and get a Z2 image to compare. Some people need to unlock the Z2 to provide the image for others and a Z1 image if they want to compare files between the two.

I'll split the unlock cost with anyone and provide my Z2 image. Or, i'll just by the unlock myself and provide a Z2 image to anyone who needs comparison.

I also have fast broadband.

Beachdoc

I might take you up on your offer if someone else gets the unlock license. BTW, am I right assuming you already unlocked your Z2? If you didn't you will need to do that before you can extract an image.

I just got my Z1 about a month ago, so I don't think I have contributed much to this forum. I agree with everyone else who stated that it should go to someone who is planning to do a lot of testing. Especially when it comes to the Z2 image. The update for the Z1 to Z2 would be coming out soon. Most people, including me, would want to upgrade to the latest features of the Z2. If someone can find more hacks/mods available for the Z1/Z2 hard drives, it would be most beneficial for the rest of us. Just my 2-cents.

Palacious,

No I haven't unlocked my Z2 yet. I was waiting to see if anyone needed my image first, otherwise there's not much I could do with it. Another interesting comparison for those trying the backdoor without much success is if my Z2 image when callibrating differs from theirs. Just a further idea.

Beachdoc

Beachdoc,

You bring up a good point about using your image on those Z2s that are having problems with the backdoor. But then maybe its a hardware problem they're having and the image may not help them any. It seems the most important factor causing the problems is the VSS wire. Some are getting the VSS message, some are not.

Palacious,

Microsoft OS usually uses a config file of some sort. If my image has this type of file which is different from another Z2 image we might find the solution. Mine seems not to look for the GPS or VSS to turn off the video, other units might seem to learn and write a different config file. Just a thought, but with thousands of files I'm told, it likely won't be a piece of cake. User settings are different, so those files will be different as well. But hey, if you, I, or someone else wants to compare images, let's go for it. It can't hurt anything as long as we're careful and don't screw up the drives. :(

You might also want to try it with two "untouched" drives (i.e. Avics that have never been turned on). You might just be looking for a changed file, that would have a different file size. having to "fresh" drives might make that easier. Not likely to happen, I know.