AVIC411.com

I have a AVIC-Z1 for about 10 months now....and was wondering if there are any map updates for the unit. When I use the Nav. I notice that some POI's are not in the system but the POI's have been around for about 2 years and was wondering if there is an update.

There was an update for the bluetooth. It, apparently, helped with the echo that some people had. It also killed the "Flash your headlights" bypass but allowed you to use the new "ground 2 wires" bypass.

There is a new update that is scheduled to be out in the near future (your guess is as good as mine). It will update the POIs and, essentially, turn your Z1 into a Z2.

However, it will kill whichever bypass you are using: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5781

updates will not cure poor poi searches. a lot of stuff just isnt regitered with these databases. the updates will give you new streets that werent around before, but the poi search will always be lacking

TeleAtlas does constantly improve the POI content, so it may improve a specific POI that was missing before, but there is no way to get everything perfect

updates will not cure poor poi searches. a lot of stuff just isnt regitered with these databases. the updates will give you new streets that werent around before, but the poi search will always be lacking

The current Teleatlas data in the Z1 is supposed to be 2005, but I beg to differ.

I travel areas/streets/subdivisions that have been in existence since 1999 and are NOT on the 2005 so called data.

With the Bluetooth disconnecting while it seems the unit is in learn mode in highly populated areas or new areas and with these so called map updates, in my opinion, a great piece of work Pioneer has made, with poor planning and engineering.

Depends on what reports you read. Some now say teleatlas has overtaken navteq in "most" areas. I think the reason people like garmin is they use a better routing algorithm than Pioneer so it takes better route even with inferior map data

http://www.gpsreview.net/navteq-vs-tele-atlas/

Too bad we can't use another mapping company. There is another that has far more reliable and up to date maps.

I don't know if you have seen this yet or not - I found this on their website. Tele Atlas now has a way for users to report errors directly...

http://www.teleatlas.com/ForConsumers/M ... /index.htm

The interface is pretty easy to use, and you can see if the error has alredy been fixed or not.

Pioneer is selling updates on their website now, but the Z1 update is not out yet.