AVIC411.com

avic-Z2 vs avic-D3

so what do you guys think: is the avic-z2 worth $1200 more than the D3? The Z2's HD makes ipod use a bit redundant, but I'm not crazy about having an HD that may need replacing. The HD screen on the Z3 is another attraction. However the colored menus of the D3, along with the simplicity of left mounted buttons, bang for buck price points makesit almost a no brainer. So I ask: is the Z3 worth the extra $1200?

Thanks you for the repsonses!

i just put a z2 in my truck a couple weeks ago and debated the same. basically there are a lot of differences and reasons the z2 is better, its just none of them are huge deal breakers. my theory was that if im already spending all this money on a system to put in a truck that i will be keeping for a long time, why not just spend a little more and go all out. in the grand scheme of things $1000 aint a lot, especially on a $50k truck.

the biggest issue for me was the HD. i dont want to be switching discs every time i want to look at the map for a second. thats a huge PITA. bigger screen and screen that tilts were probably the 2nd biggest reasons.

HD screen? You mean the same screen only .85 inches bigger?

the z2 has an hd rez screen, the d3 does not.

Where did you get that?

They both have the same resolution screen. The D3 is slightly smaller so it'll look a little crisper.

Z2 specs

Pixels 336,960 (1,440 x 234)

D3 specs

Pixels 336,960 (1,440 x 234)

Also, Pioneer spec writers are sneaky bastards. 1440 horizontal resolution counts each of 3 sub-pixels (Red, Green, Blue) which make up a single pixel. So the TRUE resolution of both units is 480x234. These are the same res screens Pioneer has used in their AVICs since the beginning.

the biggest issue for me was the HD. i dont want to be switching discs every time i want to look at the map for a second. thats a huge PITA.

That was one of my reasons too. However, If you don't want to pay the extra $$$ for a HD, then get the ipod interface and put up with the crappy controls. :)

Your salesman must've been good. They are the same screen

the z2 has an hd rez screen, the d3 does not.

no salesmen, you schmuck, it was from pioneer's site, they advertise it as an HD screen on the Z1/z2, not to mention stenciling it on the bezel. 480x3... nice trick. Good to know that there is one less diferenctiation between the Z2 and the D3...

Please tell me you don't think HDD means HD screen you moron. They are the same screen. Look at the pixel count. HDD is the hard drive dick

no salesmen, you schmuck, it was from pioneer's site, they advertise it as an HD screen on the Z1/z2, not to mention stenciling it on the bezel. 480x3... nice trick. Good to know that there is one less diferenctiation between the Z2 and the D3...

Please tell me you don't think HDD means HD screen you moron. They are the same screen. Look at the pixel count. HDD is the hard drive dick

HAHAHA gotta love sticking it to the coochos

YYYESSSSS!!!!! :lol:

whtcrxghst,

I bet that's what he was thinking. I guess it's very easy for a newb to think that HDD stands for High Definition Display.

archiea,

Both units do in fact have the same resolution on their screens. The only difference is that the Z2 has a 7" screen and the D3 has a 6.1" screen.