AVIC411.com

feedback on estimate I got on install of NAV and audio in VW

hey gang,

i got an estimate from the VW dealer on installing the avid-D3 plus ipod, bluetooth, rear camera and XM nav traffic, as well as upgrading the speakers and amps that come stock with the EOS. I have a non premium header unit and the stock speakers, not dynaudio.

Now I realize that this would be pricier than just walking into a best buy or something, and the estimate on the speaker and amp instalation shoudl take into account that the audio guy took the time to get in the car, evaluate the stock system, and come up with a solution based on my wishes and his expertise. So in other words, I don't mind paying for that service, as I was uncertain which speakers to get. So while its not rock bottom discount, I am paying for a service.

The Avic-d3 instalation does seem a little pricey as its just an instal. I'm curious what other EOS owners paid for theirs. Here's the email estimate that I got. Thanks in advance.

Audio System

Pioneer Avic D3 = $1595 Installed(includes Can bus convertors installation kit and all the harnesses it takes to

make it happen.)

Pioneer Bluetooth = $360 Installed

Pioneer XM-Nav Traffic = $380 Installed

Pioneer iPOD = $105 Installed (cable in glove box)

Back up Camera = $545 Installed (Discreet Chrome aluminum frame camera)

This next section is for the speaker system.. I'm just gonna paste in what Ron told me in his email to me.

"I'm gonna suggest a SONY amp. There is not to many places to put an amp in this vehicle and SONY makes the smallest amp on the market. This amp will put out the power of an amp twice the size of any competitive brand. In the past we have used this amp with the Hertz speakers and they work great together. From the information you gave me, I would suggest Hertz Speakers. Hertz are made in Italy, they are a higher end speaker that give you a warm clean sound (silk dome tweeters) vs. speakers with very bright (titanium tweeters). If you never heard of Hertz one of there sister companies is Audison.

With the sound control that the Pioneer D3 will give you, and the combination of the amp and speaker upgrade, this will be a GREAT sounding system. If we were to do anything less on the audio system I do believe your customer will not be happy. This will be a 2, possibly 3 day job."

So this is what Ron suggests,

SONY XM4S 4 Channel Amp 50watt x 4

Hertz HSK165 6.5" Mid Range/Mid Bass with seperate Silk Soft dome Tweeters (front and rear replacement)

Power wire, Fuse Holder, RCA's any other parts needed.

$1395 Installed.

HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

Go somewhere else... like an actual stereo shop.. a reputable one too. Dealers just yank your chain and are going to send it to a stereo shop too, but they're gonna take more money from you and the rest goes to the stereo shop.

HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

Go somewhere else... like an actual stereo shop.. a reputable one too. Dealers just yank your chain and are going to send it to a stereo shop too, but they're gonna take more money from you and the rest goes to the stereo shop.

well, I was hoping you'd give me some numbers that I should look for, i.e. what some peopel paid for their installation of like accessories.. thanks...

I can't speak for that actual adaptors cost for that car, so here is what I would say for equipment and labor. You should keep in mind, that while they have the car torn apart it is EXTREMELY easy to install most of the accessory add ons

Here is a guestimate with no parts:

Pioneer Avic D3 = $1200-1300 Installed(includes Can bus convertors installation kit and all the harnesses it takes to

make it happen.)

Pioneer Bluetooth = $200-225 Installed

Pioneer XM-Nav Traffic = $250 Installed

Pioneer iPOD = $45 Installed (cable in glove box)

Back up Camera = ??? Totally dependent on the camera. And labor should be simple if they are doing an amp as well

As for the amp, Sony is garbage. They want to sell it because of the margin. It will not put out more real power than most amps it size. I have never heard Hertz speakers so I won't bash them but I think you are better off going somewhere else. And listen to whatever speakers you choose before you buy them

Here's what I paid for mine (line by line)

Pioneer AVIC D3: $1000

Metra GMOS (Onstar Harness): $180

Soundgate Steering Wheel Control: $89

Dash Kit: $35

Ipod Cable: $30

Installation: $150 (that's for everything: Ipod Cable in glovebox, steering wheel controls, etc)

I didn't get the bluetooth installed either but I was quoted a price of $175. That's with installation.

Like someone said earlier, with the dash apart most of the accessories are very easy to install.

$105 to run a iPod cable, tell the installer I have a bridge in New York for sale.

BTW the car is 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo with the Bose system.

thank you all. Keep it coming. par tof the reason for the sony amp is that space is limited in the car, so there was a size limitation on the amp. Excuse my lack of experience, but is the avic-d3 too weak to drive speakers without external amps? thanks in advance.

Its too weak to drive component speakers properly, thats why they want to use an external amp. There are lots of small amps out there now--Alpine, Pioneer Premier, and dozens of others would probably be small enough

thank you all. Keep it coming. par tof the reason for the sony amp is that space is limited in the car, so there was a size limitation on the amp. Excuse my lack of experience, but is the avic-d3 too weak to drive speakers without external amps? thanks in advance.

hahaha tell the vw dealer to suck a nut. actually i'd highly recommend you never go back there ever again.

Anyhow since you want to know what we have paid.. here's what I went through. Btw im in Canada and these are Canadian prices.

Avic d3 = $1200

Bluetooth = $200

Ipod Cable = $35

Pionner Double Din Kit = $50

Install for all items at $50/h for 1 1/2 hours of work = $75

So $1560 cdn total.

As far as the other items you wanted, I wouldnt pay any more than $200 for the xm+navtraffic, and $250 for the rear view cam, unless its some ridiculous HD cam and you just like burning money.

Do not buy a sony amp. You are much better off with JL, Clarion or Kenwood. As far as speakers go, cant go wrong with Hertz, especially if you personally like their sound. $1395????????????????

You shouldn't be paying any more than $600 here, installed.

Hope that helps..

umm. do the install yourself and see how easy it is. You will kick yourself for paying someone to do this easy task. Which VW do you have? If I can fit a JL amp in my Nissan crew cab with a compact 10" sub in the tiny space the back seat..... There are many places for finding space for an amp.

I work at a Best Buy in the car audio section and I schedule these installs all the time. It sounds like you're getting ripped off on something that we could do for cheap, and offer a lifetime warranty free on the labor. Also, most installers at best buys (at least the one's I've known) are MECP certified... and as a side note, you don't have to tip them, cuz theyre not allowed to accept tips. :)

Pioneer Avic D3 = $1200 installed (unit, labor, dash kit, harness)

Pioneer Bluetooth = $270-300 installed (best buy sells the BT box online only for 200)

Pioneer XM-Nav Traffic = $150 installed

Pioneer iPOD = $45 installed (cable in glove box)

Back up Camera = Best buy doesn't carry the back-up cam, but if you bring it to us, we will install it for $70, but that depends on how much custom labor you're gonna need done on this one (Discreet Chrome aluminum frame camera)

Also, speakers we install for $42/pair for coaxial speakers, and $65 a pair for component systems. We run amps for $60-70 plus around $100 for the wiring. Subs only cost $15 to install. I listen to these speakers all day, and I would suggest anything by Infinity or Alpine. You can get 2 nice pairs of those speakers for $200, a 4-channel Alpine amp for another $200, a good sub for $100-200 (either 10" or 12", doesnt matter), and an efficient mono amp for the sub for $200-300 (I recomend the rockford fosgate mono amp for like $300, for the sub. it handles the low frequencies better).

Also, I just installed all of this stuff, in addition to the D3 in my 2007 VW GTI, so I'm speaking as another Volskwagen/D3 owner.

If anyone else needs any Best Buy install quotes, just let me know. :)

Also, in reference to your issue about amp size, Alpine makes a nice 4-channel amp to run a set of 6.5" infinity component speakers (about 75 watts RMS per channel) that only measures 12x12 inches. It's pretty small and very efficient for a 4-channel amp, especially if you get the component Infinitys at best buy, which put out about 90 watts RMS.

And check out the new Rockford Fosgate amps this year. They are ridiculously small for how much power they can push. You definitely pay extra for the quality and compact size, but it might be worth it to you. Great for pushing subs.

umm. do the install yourself and see how easy it is. You will kick yourself for paying someone to do this easy task. Which VW do you have? If I can fit a JL amp in my Nissan crew cab with a compact 10" sub in the tiny space the back seat..... There are many places for finding space for an amp.

VW eos...