AVIC411.com

Well today was rite at 100 and without a window shade i would have bet money that my z2 would not boot but it did!! and it booted every other time i tried tonight. it hasnt done that in 4 days.

all i did this morning was pop my hard drive out and have a look see but after replacing it i still had a couple of freezes. Once it unfroze after sitting in the ac for 20 minutes and booted fine i did the pre june bypass z2 update 33.6 mb and it has not failed since.

i was pretty impressed when it booted today at 100 degrees outside. i dont think the update is the smoking gun were looking for but what i wonder is if there are boot files that are being replaced with the update that were corrupt.

as far as looking for a copy of the HD i think thats going to be to big a file even compressed highly in acronis. what the HD must have 15g-20g full with all the files total.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well today was rite at 100 and without a window shade i would have bet money that my z2 would not boot but it did!! and it booted every other time i tried tonight. it hasnt done that in 4 days.

all i did this morning was pop my hard drive out and have a look see but after replacing it i still had a couple of freezes. Once it unfroze after sitting in the ac for 20 minutes and booted fine i did the pre june bypass z2 update 33.6 mb and it has not failed since.

i was pretty impressed when it booted today at 100 degrees outside. i dont think the update is the smoking gun were looking for but what i wonder is if there are boot files that are being replaced with the update that were corrupt.

as far as looking for a copy of the HD i think thats going to be to big a file even compressed highly in acronis. what the HD must have 15g-20g full with all the files total.

mine froze but it took a really hot day. i wonder if the rite question is does the new update raise the temp in which the z2 feezes.

it did for me. mine would freeze on a 80 degrree day with the windows down. now unless the windows are rollled up and its over a 100 it wont.

Funny Im also located in Houston and have had my head unit freeze once before. It came really out of nowhere. My friend and I were driving around and the unit was working fine. I went into Barnes and Noble, came out and it stuck at the Pioneer screen. Hmm. I got home and it was still doing it. After resets and starting the truck up again, it worked just fine. Well today I had to yank my unit out to try and fix a ground loop it had. Well right when I fixed the ground loop, the unit stays stuck at the Pioneer screen. If it was working before, why isn't it working now? I know it isn't the heat because it wasn't even hot. The Z-1 is really giving me a bad taste in my mouth with both the engine whine and now these start up issues.

I did a bit of yard work today and it was Africa hot out today in Clear Lake. Was the unit, specifically the screen exposed to direct sunlight for any length of time greater than 30 minutes?

The tendency with these units is the freezing becomes more often once it starts. I got my first freeze a little more than a month ago. Then it didn't do it for a while...now it would happen everyday if I don't use a sunshade.

Im in Katy. Here's what all I remember happening. I wanted to fix the ground loop so I removed the HU and left it on the passenger seat. Then I went to Radio Shack to buy some stuff, came back and noticed that the unit was pretty hot. The screen wasn't in direct sunlight or anything, it was just sitting facing the inside of the truck. Thing is...I mean...the unit is supposed to be in the freakin truck all the time. lol. That was my issue with it. I did notice it was hot, but if its always in there...anyway, I took it inside and let it cool down. After I reconnected everything, I could sense it coming. It kind of took a little longer than usual to get to the part where it even says "Starting up Pioneer Navigation..." and then it went to the map. Next time however it just stopped right at the Pioneer bootup screen and hasn't moved from there since. I reconnected everything and left it in the truck. I actually got the unit from ebay and got a Squaretrade Warranty with it for 3 years, but so far that's two big problems with it.

One of the things I've noticed on mine is that when its going to freeze the "Starting up Pioneer Navigation..." comes up then switches over to the Pioneer screen faster than when the unit is going to start normally. Also, the music starts faster. Normally, the "Starting up Pioneer Navigation..." screen is on for 5-6 seconds, then the Pioneer screen for like 30 seconds, then music, then maps (or AV source).

If you've got a square-trade deal going it probably wouldn't hurt to try and get a trade-in. I'm not sure how those things work, but you might be without your unit for a spell while they check it out and swap it out.

Yeah i agree there. It does seem to shoot faster into the startup screen when its about to freeze. I'm going to see what its doing tomorrow, luckily for me I can press SRCE on my steering wheel control until it hits the iPod and I can still listen to music but for a 2000+ HU this kind of thing shouldn't really be happening *this* frequently to *this* many people. At least I dont think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same freezing at the Pioneer logo screen that everyone else has mentioned. I believe it is heat related... Here are the facts. I have one of the first releases of the Z1 purchased in Mar 06. I have not installed any Map or Gracenote upadates, and have not installed any bypass. I have the Pioneer backup camera, bluetooth, IPOD and sirius adapters installed. I live in Tucson, AZ and the interior of my car gets ridiculously hot. Every day for the past 2 weeks the unit freezes after work. I press the reset button 3 or 4 times on my way home from work... after about 20 minutes (and a cool interior) the unit will work. It also works every morning when I leave for work. I am confident the problem is heat related, but the strange thing is that I didn't experience any freezes last summer, and it was very hot earlier in the summer prior to the first freeze. Looking forward to Pioneer providing some additional information.

• 2 weeks later...

I just sat down and read every post about freezing. Every solution someone has come up with it was only temporary or someone else tryed it and it did not work. Every diferant sinerio for the cause all goes back to it started with heat and gets worse. One thing I havent read was anyone having this problem last summer. with the z1. I think the heat is the original cause for the problem. Once the damage is done hot or cool dosent play as much of a role. I think we bought an untested new product too soon with issues that have not been worked out yet.

The solution, sell the z1 and z2, buy a unit without a HD until all the bugs are worked out. As much as I hate to say this I think an inferior unit that works is better than a more advanced unit that dosent work. :cry:

Ive read through a lot of threads and can only find a couple of posts about replacing the HD and those dont even give any feed back on if it works or how its done. It seems more like a theory or a suggestion. I would have no problem putting in a new HD if it worked. I'll do any thing to make it work. Mine only works about 25% of the time.

if youve read enough post you would know its a toshiba HD heat problem nothing more other then that pioneer has changed software/drivers once to try and fix the issue with limited positive results.

please go buy a T8 and the next time your unit wont boot simply pull the HD out and put it in your hand, once you feel how hot it is you will understand completly. simply put the HD in front of your AC duct for 2-4 minutes and put it back in and your unit will boot.

this is not theory or a suggestion

replacing the HD will only get you another toshiba GACE HD that will vary from one to another on the temp threshold unless you can get a toshiba GAC that has the 85C operating temp. that is the solution to the whole problem but this HD cant be found rite now