AVIC411.com

Ok today it gets to about 98 Degrees in Houston and I start up my truck and it hangs at the Pioneer screen.... I had to reset it about 5 times before it came up. I was wondering I know if it gets to hot the unit will not boot, but will it eventually boot up out of the Pioneer screen? Everytime I reset I have to set up my FM Pre-sets again. Not that I listen to them a lot cause I have Sirius but still.... anyone know if it will boot on into the radio after it cools down some?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem with my Z2 unit. I can't say that it got very hot (80 the most in the closed car under the sun). However, while i see the Pioneer screen, my CD is still playing and I can control it. I did a reset a few times and still no luck. However I was able to get into the Service Menu and look around...

Yea my radio plays... but just stays at the pioneer screen.... Well I am sure in my truck it got up to over a 100 since it was in the mid 90's outside.... I am going to use my sun shade and crack the windows today and see if that helps. It did the same thing a few times last year when it was hot.

Try the following:

1) go into Service Menu

2) do a HDD Read Test

After couple of minutes of test, i got a read error.

in order to get into service menu,

1) put your car into ACC

2) open up Avic screen

3) Hold CD eject and then press Reset button (while holding eject)

4) After 10 seconds or so release reset and then release eject buttons

5) you should see a password screen (password is Up Up Down Down, where up and down are P.LIST buttons and Enter is T button)

6) When you are there, go into HDD Test (or something like that) and do a read test

After a few mins of test i got the following:

Read address: 00002469h

Result: NG [ Error Code = 00000017h ]

I didn't do anything to fix it... I went to sleep at night with unit broken and came back in the morning and unit was working...

I'm taking it back to the place that installed it for me and hopefully I'll be able to get a new hard drive or something... If I got a read error, there's something wrong with the disk and if it happened, chances are it will happen again.

I've read on some other threads that this is done due to hot weather... if that's the case, I'm REALLY pissed! What's the point of buying a $2K system if it will crap out due to some heat?

If you are still having same problems, try parking your car in some shady area or in a garage for a day or a night where it is nice and cool. Hopefully it will work in the morning.

dimaj

I started getting the same issues the other day on mine and I am in Houston as well. I don't know if it was temperature lockout or if it was due to the gracenote database update disk. It never did it before I updated to the latest one off of Pioneers website. It really wasn't that hot in my car. In fact it was in the evening. When I get my car back I am going to look into it from the service menu screen if it locks out again. You can read the temperature on the screen to see if it is the reason for the lockout.

Yeah, Mine locked up again today due to temperature lockout. It took 35 minutes of bone chilling AC before it would come on again. You could feel that the screen and the unit itself (flipped the screen down) was warm from sitting in the sun. It really sucks cause it won't start up again without a power cycle. You don't need to reset it when this happens. You just have to wait till it cools down and cycle the power on it. I will now be leaving it on a FM, XM or TV. So that I can at least listen to something with the screen frozen. They really should do something about this. I think I'll be going a different route in the future with an HDD headunit. If they were good programmers, they would do a loop in the program to look at the temp lockout upon boot. (Firmware wise)

i have the same problem as everyone else. The screen freezes on the Pioneer logo but I can use my remote to change to FM, IPOD, Library, and CD. Some of the buttons on the unit works too. It did it at night when it was cold and a few times during the day when it was just a normal warm day. I had my Z1 for about 8 months and it just started doing it recently after I installed the Ipod adapter. I'm gonna check to make sure all the connections are good and the fan is not blocked. Some of the other post said they checked the wiring and it worked.

my z1 freezes up everytime it gets hot in the car, is there a fix for this i called pioneer and they had no clue i have to believe that this is a major problem if all of you are experiencing the same problem this is not an isolated incident of course my unit is just out of warrenty which sucks if anyone has any info that will help it would be appriciated

my unit did this once last week but i turned the truck off and restarted and it worked. today it did it and i could never get it to work. tried resetting the unit, made several stops and turned the truck off for various periods of time (30 seconds to 3 hours). on the way home the a/c was blowing and inside of the truck was cool. also, today was cloudy and not that hot (80) and weve had much hotter days when my unit acted fine. i was PISSED about this and fixing to call crutchfield but thought i would check here first. definitely sounds like a problem with the units.

btw, my unit is a z2 and only a few weeks old.

FYI - i bought my unit from crutchfield b/c i didnt want to risk buying one off ebay and not having a warranty. i called friday and explained what happened and they shipped out a new unit that day. we will see what happens with this one, but definitely great service on their part!

I have the same problem, it manifested itself last summer when I moved to Arizona. Went away all winter and came back again just a month ago. I sent to unit back to Pioneer for warranty and they said that they could not duplicate the problem. I am sending it back again today with more info (like temps using a laser temp gauge) and I will see what they have to say. If they send it back again without fixing it I will be very pissed. Everytime I call they say that they have never heard of the problem before. I think that is total BS.