AVIC411.com

D3 Bypass - Adding a switch? damage to components?

Hi,

Just got my D3 and waiting for mounting parts to arrive. I saw the flash tutorial sticky for the bypass. simple enough (I was surprised).

However. I'm interested in putting in a switch to disable/enable the bypass. A DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch will do nicely and is pretty easy to wire up... My only concern is flipping the switch on the fly (car running).

I don't want to damage A. the D3 B. my car.

anyone know what sortof effect this will have when powered on?

Thanks.

been browsing here a few days. great website.

Thanks for the replies...

Just have to see if I can trace the brake wire back to a wire bundle rather than trying to remove the whole center console. (Pontiac G6 in case anyone knows where it is)

and yes, it's for one of those "just in case" situations. I don't anticipate I'll need it very often, if ever, but it would be nice to have.

also, it's really easy to do during pre-install wiring.

thanks for the tip. makes sense... and I thankfully managed to find my spares.

installing in the am tomorrow.

it's going into a DPDT switch. On the car brake line side it will throw between nothing and the AVIC. the other side will throw between ground and the AVIC.

I would assume then that flow for the diode will go from car to the AVIC correct? stopping the car from picking up an odd signal from the avic. yes?

like so: car brake wire ---->|---- AVIC-D3 I hope so. that's how I'm wiring it in. haha

I'll be taking pics. it's supposed to be sunny.

• 1 month later...

If you get pulled over? Then what? Ask the officer to ride in the car with you to prove the video kicks off while you drive, instead of writing a ticket that you probably would end up paying rather than taking time off work for court, hiring a lawyer, dealing with paperwork, etc.? A police officer already has his/her mind made up when he/she walks up to your window and asks you for the DL, registration and insurance. He/she will NOT get into a perps vehicle to drive around the block (possibly putting his/her life in danger) simply to disprove their claim that they saw Jenna Jameson polishing someone's bishop on your screen while you were driving. You're getting the ticket. Deal with it.

• 4 weeks later...

So I just ran my parking brake wire to a toggle and ran the other end to ground and just leave it on ground. This was c-a-k-e and so far I haven't had any issues with navigation and its completely functional. One thing to note is that I haven't hooked up the speed sense yet so I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I do have the back up wire (violet) I forget the tech name. Still hunting for speed sense..

Anyhow - If I got pulled over I would show the officer (after hitting the switch on his way to my window) how it wont play while the parking brake is down and he would obviously be able to see the message and you wouldn't have to drive him around the block. I would think if you hooked up the true parking wire to the toggle on the third prong - maybe that would make it show on the statistic screen like normal. Anyhow - any replies would be cool - thanks.