AVIC411.com

amp question

So at long last I finally have all the piece of the puzzle to do the installation of this very fine Z2 toy.

I thought that I would do something out of context for me and actually 'read' the instructions of all the parts before heading into it blind. This is where the amp threw me a curve.

The amp I chose for the installation in my car (2003 911), is a JL 500/5 unit. I thought it best in my car due to the 12 speaker system (still stock for now) and the ability to filter out the high, low, mids independantly. But here is where I was reading something that was very new to me and I would like to know how the Z2 can be used in this manner.

"...a source unit or processor with front and rear outputs is required..."

What does it mean specifically by 'source unit'? Is it referencing the head unit?

The JL unit I picked allows for about 7 different set ups to apply to a variety of ears and car layouts. What I want is the one that talks about this additional source unit which I may or may not be able to use.

It goes on to say that using the set up that I want will allow me to,

"...have the ability to fade or control the level of the subwoofer channel relative to the mid and high-frquency channels.".

• 2 months later...

Tweety the JL 500/5 is a great amp and will perform well in the Porsche. It wont draw too much current from the 911 charging system either.

Wire it just like they say RCA's front to front rear to rear and sub to sub you will retain all fade and balance functions.

I have a JL 500/5 in my 1996 Porsche 993 twin turbo and made some custom stealthy fuberglass pods to fit behind the factory speaker grills once the Nokia speaker crap was removed. I was able to get a set of the JL VR-653 3 way components in the doors replaced the rears with some 2 ways and installed some 8W-3's in the back foot well. Man it rocks and sounds great I'm using a PRS head unit cause the DDin wont fit in the old style 911/993 dash. And when its turned off the Fab Speed exhaust and 1.2 bar boost covers the other end of the spectrum.

Life begins @ 150!! MPH or DB its all up to you!

Cannonball